PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag.

Ben
07-01-2013, 08:49 PM
I dropped in on one of my LGS's in the Birmingham area today, while I was there I bought a pristine 99.9 % condition , Pre- Warning, Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. This one has one of the nicest high polish blue jobs on it that I've seen on a Ruger. The blueing looks like it is 1/4" deep.

I ran the S/N of my new revolver on the Ruger production list , it was made in 1974.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/001-66.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/014-19.jpg

I think I'll start out with some " Mid Range " loads with 44 Mag. brass and my plain base IDEAL 431215 plain base ,HP's. I've also got about 500 empty .44 Spec. cases that just might be put to good use in this revolver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/431215%20%20HP/PICT0003-1.jpg

chsparkman
07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
That really is gorgeous. The SBH is one of my favorite weapons.

LUCKYDAWG13
07-01-2013, 09:08 PM
what warning

Ben
07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
what warning

Late in 1977, Ruger started stamping on the barrels some warnings about the danger of the weapon and to please read the manual prior to usage.

Many shooters didn't care for all that writing on the barrels. The guns made prior to this act are called " Pre Warning " guns.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Announced in Ruger Newsletter, vol. 1, NO. 4, June, 1978.
"New Rollmarking on Barrels"
"Late in 1977 we began rollmarking the barrels of Ruger firearms with the following legend: BEFORE USING GUN--READ WARNING IN INSTRUCTION MANUAL AVAILABLE FREE FROM STURM, RUGER & COMPANY, INC., SOUTHPORT, CT., U.S.A."

"Many of our customers have asked why we are marking Ruger firearms this way now. Most of them are experienced shooters who already know how to handle firearms safely and responsibly."

"In today's consumer-oriented society we are seeing an era in which government seems determined to protect the individual citizen from himself, whether he likes it or not! Over the years, this has resulted in the subtle erosion of our personal liberties, and the emergence of an ever-increasing number of people who have never learned to accept responsibility."

cbrick
07-02-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm green with envy Ben.

Yep, warnings. Very important to mar up a gun with all that stamping, after all the gubment knows that your not smart enough to comprehend that you could hurt yourself or someone else with a firearm. If you were smart enough to know that you would never want to buy something as dangerous as a gun. So you see, the gubment loves us and wants save us.

Rick

Ben
07-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Remember.......A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is also big enough to take everything you've got.

Ben

BruceB
07-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Warnings...

If YOUR design in a revolver had ALREADY cost you MILLIONS in a court judgement....

Would you not do almost ANYTHING to prevent a repeat and keep the basic gun in production?

THAT is the reason for the Ruger warnings! It's also the reason for the "New Model" single-action lock-work.

I would greatly prefer to have the Ruger guns WITH warnings, than have no Rugers at all.

It's called "REALITY", and some of us need to accept it. There are plenty of older Rugers around without warnings, if you simply can't face the situation or the necessity. Ruger is faring VERY well, even with the safety warnings.

Ben
07-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Bruce,

I don't have a problem with the safety warnings, I was just trying to answer a question from LUCKYDAWG13 .