PDA

View Full Version : Ok Enough Already - Rain that is!

altheating
07-01-2013, 08:43 PM
I just dumped my rain gauge after supper (6:30pm). I just dumped two inches out of it again and it's still raining. That makes 15" since last Sunday at 3pm. Parts of Herkimer are flooded again. The neighbors house at the end of my road has been flooded out three times since last Sunday. Here we go again another gully washer hitting us. Going to be a long night.

wallenba
07-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Rained everyday here last week. This week looks like a repeat. Going to break out the squirt gun if I'm going to do any shooting.

GRUMPA
07-01-2013, 08:52 PM
I almost wish I could write about those types of issues where I live. All we seem to get a lot of this time of year is Virga and we've had 3 days of it and maybe it'll be 4 after today..

oneokie
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Unless one is in agriculture or lives in a flood plain,

There is no such thing as too much rain.
My 2¢

archmaker
07-01-2013, 09:05 PM
It has been a month since I have seen a drop. Before that I recieved about 3/4" one day. So a few hours of rain in 6 weeks. :(

I would gladly suffer too much rain.

Porterhouse
07-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I hear you brother,
I don't even want to remember when we had nice, dry weather last time. The stickiness of the air is one thing but it also attracts my worst enemy = bugs!
I just miss those dark, cold winter days...

Blacksmith
07-01-2013, 10:09 PM
In the past 30 days we got over 10" and storms are forecast for the next 7days. I would like a break too.

Gliden07
07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm with you!! I live in MASS its no better here! I went to Lake Placid with my Girlfriend over last weekend and we spent a lot of time indoors!! Good and bad!! LOL

I just dumped my rain gauge after supper (6:30pm). I just dumped two inches out of it again and it's still raining. That makes 15" since last Sunday at 3pm. Parts of Herkimer are flooded again. The neighbors house at the end of my road has been flooded out three times since last Sunday. Here we go again another gully washer hitting us. Going to be a long night.

rockrat
07-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Don't think we have had a tenth of an inch of rain in the last two months!! Durn near 100 today

starmac
07-02-2013, 12:47 AM
Well, you could be fighting fire. It seems like this country always has areas of one extreme in some areas and completely opposite in others.

Janoosh
07-02-2013, 07:24 AM
I cant stand the rain! Newburgh area of NY, rain again today.... can't finish my furniture restoration as the air makes the wood gummy.

altheating
07-02-2013, 07:59 AM
16" and counting

FISH4BUGS
07-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Here in coastal NH we have had a steady week of rain, with another week of rain forecasted. The garden loves it (especially the slugs), it recharges the ground water, but some streams have flooded. We must have had at least 8" of rain so far.
I have cleaned the reloading area, and will start cleaning the barn shortly. Good excuse to stay indoors. The lawn will need to be hayed, not cut if this keeps up.

pipehand
07-02-2013, 08:23 AM
I do remember 2005 when we didn't get any rain from April to September, so I try not to complain. The rain here has been extraordinarily constant through the spring, and now into the summer. I have very sandy soil, so it can stand steady rain, but the half hour to hour long downpours do a lot of damage. It's raining now, and if the sun burns it off latter it will be a sauna. Again.

blackthorn
07-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I almost wish I could write about those types of issues where I live. All we seem to get a lot of this time of year is Virga and we've had 3 days of it and maybe it'll be 4 after today..

What is "Virga" ????

H.Callahan
07-02-2013, 11:37 AM
What is "Virga" ????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virga

km101
07-02-2013, 12:06 PM
I just dumped my rain gauge in the backyard. Over 1/32" of dust! Havent seen rain here for about a month, but the forecasters are saying that it may rain most of the July 4th weekend! I don't care, as I can cover my smoker and we can eat inside! If we do get rain this weekend, we probably wont see any more until opening weekend of dove season. (Sept. 1st) It's almost guaranteed to rain then!

If you guys on the E. coast have too much, send some down here! I'll even pay postage!

Firebricker
07-02-2013, 02:05 PM
The rain has been driving me crazy the last two weeks it's either raining or getting ready to rain. FB

10-x
07-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Saw some guy herding animals today......long robe and beard...

altheating
07-02-2013, 11:31 PM
17.5" Yup, raining again.... nope, still! Yea the guy with the ark was standing at the end of by road this afternoon.

pipehand
07-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Still raining here. I believe I could have planted rice this year and it would have done well.

mroliver77
07-03-2013, 09:36 PM
NW OH rain most every day for 3 weeks now. Hot and sticky! You can hear the corn growing! You can see the moisture in the air. Last year was a drought. Need to drain my air tank again.
J

Gliden07
07-03-2013, 11:40 PM
I don't think it will all fit in even a large flat rate box!! :kidding:

I just dumped my rain gauge in the backyard. Over 1/32" of dust! Havent seen rain here for about a month, but the forecasters are saying that it may rain most of the July 4th weekend! I don't care, as I can cover my smoker and we can eat inside! If we do get rain this weekend, we probably wont see any more until opening weekend of dove season. (Sept. 1st) It's almost guaranteed to rain then!

If you guys on the E. coast have too much, send some down here! I'll even pay postage!

altheating
07-05-2013, 06:15 PM
18.5" and pouring again. The only shooting I can do is out my kitchen window at my gongs on the pond bank.

Petrol & Powder
07-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Not to quote Clinton - but I feel your pain. It rains almost every day here and sometimes extremely hard. Got 1 inch in less than 20 minutes the other day. I've never seen it this wet in summer. We're far over the average totals for June and will likely be high for July.
Everything is green here: the trees, the grass, the gravel, the siding on my house.... my dogs would be green if I didn't dry them off occasionally. Somebody said we should send it out west but I commented that we can't even build a pipeline for oil from north to south, there's no way we could pump water east to west.
Hang in there, it will get better.

Petrol & Powder
07-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Good news, it rained again today. We almost made it 20 hours since the last rain, I was getting a little worried that we might go 48 hours without rain, but nope.

daniel lawecki
07-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Toledo Ohio rain 16 days out of the last 17days more rain till Wednesday. But I still make it out shooting

Hickory
07-08-2013, 08:54 PM
NW OH rain most every day for 3 weeks now. Hot and sticky! You can hear the corn growing! You can see the moisture in the air. Last year was a drought. Need to drain my air tank again.
J

The more it rains the bigger the swamp gets.

Newtire
07-08-2013, 08:56 PM

15" is a helluva lot of rain. Be careful and get your self to high ground looks like. It's either feast or famine. Good luck buddy.

Petrol & Powder
07-10-2013, 08:52 PM
More heavy rain today. Never seen this much water in summer.

Down South
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Send some of it to Texas.

**oneshot**
07-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I feel your pain! We are caught in the same weather pattern. Worst part is after the rain there is no cool down. Hazy hot and humid, then it rains, then back to hot and humid.
I love summer weather but this heavy air is really bad for my asthma.

Petrol & Powder
07-11-2013, 05:20 AM
Send some of it to Texas.

I'd like to but the HazMat fees for the lighting are killers.

1Shirt
07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Had a real wet spring, and now it looks like we are heading into drought again, as we have had no rain for well over a week. Corn was pushing chest high on the 4th of July, and it is muggy here!
1Shirt!

gray wolf
07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Here in Western Maine it's been rain, rain, rain -- The insects are going hog wild.
This ain't natural I tell Ya.

Freightman
07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
We haven't had 15" in three years you can destroy a town by dropping a cigerett but or throwing it out the window, quite hogging it all :bigsmyl2:

Petrol & Powder
07-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Raining again now, in fact it's been raining for hours. Fixed the driveway again today for about the 10th time this year. If I could send it to you I would. Everything is wet.

Newtire
07-11-2013, 11:07 PM
I moved up to Idaho from the Santa Cruz Mountains of California. The climate in wintertime would rust plastic. I am so glad and lucky to be up here in Idaho. I wonder what the winter will be like back there where you guys live? Coming from Northern Illinois along the Mississippi River, we used to get to fish off of our back yard when the railroad yards would flood. When we were kids, we never lacked for a boat as we would find one without fail along the Plum River that came floating down from the floods up North. We would always see a fish skeleton or 2 caught up in the "V" of a tree. We're having a dry year here in Idaho but, so far, irrigation is our savior. Hang in there you guys!

wallenba
07-12-2013, 12:27 AM
I have not had to turn on the sprinkler system once so far this year. The grass is so thick it should be cut twice a week. But I can't because... It's raining again! Low pressure systems even seem to affect how the toilet syphons.