PDA

View Full Version : 120 gr .30 Cal Round Nose Boolit - 6 Cavity Lee

abunaitoo
10-01-2007, 05:29 AM
Shot some today in my M1 Carbine.
11gr of 2400, small rifle primers, resized to .311di (cast at .313), Lars lube.
Function was good. Shells all in one place. 1" to 2" at 50yds. 4" to 5" at 100yds.
I was having problems with the mag. Second to the last round would eject the last round after firing. I kind of had to single load the last round.
I also tried 11.5gr of 2400. Same as with 11.0gr.
This bullet works great so far.

mto7464
10-03-2007, 03:22 PM
I'll get out tomorrow, my Lee sizer should be here today. Mine are coming out around 311-12. I'll run them thru the 311 sizer anyway. I also sized some 309 to see how they work. Let you know tomorrow.

Finally got out and did some shooting.
The 309 sized ones grouped as well as the 311 sized ones with no noticable leading with either. Groups were good somewhere between 2.5 to 3" at 50 yards. Muzzle on this rifle is a little worn so no surprise.

fatelvis
11-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Shot these in my M1 carbine today. Used them sized to .311" over 11 grns 2400. The accuracy was average, about the same as ball, but the functioning stunk! After about 10 rounds the bolt was refusing to go completely into battery. I would nudge the bolt handle before firing each shot after this to force the bolt to lock up. After another 15 or so rounds I stopped shooting because it became increasingly difficult. Disappointing....

Buckshot
11-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Shot these in my M1 carbine today. Used them sized to .311" over 11 grns 2400. The accuracy was average, about the same as ball, but the functioning stunk! After about 10 rounds the bolt was refusing to go completely into battery. I would nudge the bolt handle before firing each shot after this to force the bolt to lock up. After another 15 or so rounds I stopped shooting because it became increasingly difficult. Disappointing....

..............Hmmmmm, odd. Whether it was a bullet or a boolit should have no effect on the reloading stroke of the action. If the piston drove the action group back to re-cock and eject, then what happens after that is all based on the recoil spring and nothing else.

However, if the gas piston were hanging up in the cylinder it could keep the action from locking up. Have you ever had the piston out of the cylinder? At this point I'd hardly think the few rounds of cast lead would be the culprit. Especially considering the weight and energy of the closing pieces.

..............Buckshot

Thumbcocker
11-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Love this boolit in .30-30. 6grns red dot and you are good to go. Shoot almost as well at short range without a gas check. Be sure to smoosh a flat on the nose for safety in levers.

fatelvis
11-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Buckshot, I haven't had the piston out in awhile, I admit. It shot fine with ball though, the last time I had it out. I did clean the bore and chamber VERY thoroughly before shooting the cast bullets for the first time though. To be honest, I wasnt very happy with the look of the loaded rounds before firing, as they had a little bit of Speed Green lube still around the mouth that even after a quick wipe was still there, and also the bullet seated in the mouth seemed to bulge out unnaturally, interrupting the taper down that the 30 carbine has from head to mouth. I'll see if I can post a pic, because I have a bunch loaded that I didnt dare fire!

abunaitoo
01-25-2008, 03:38 AM
Have you checked the brass length????
Carbines head space on the brass even with the slight taper.
Before I knew this, I would have the bolt handle not go forward all the way. Trimed the brass and all was good.
Could it also be that the chamber maybe dirty????
I know with my M1 Garand, I have to clean the chamber when the bolt will not close all the way.
Last suggestion. Bullet to big for your chamber???? I've had this happen with the fatter 30 bullets in some rifles. I just size down untill it chambers.

abunaitoo
05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Shot somemore last week with different loads.
Sized to 310, small rifle primer.
2400-11.0......50yd-1" to 2".......100yd- 3" to 4".
2400-12.0......50yd-2" to 3".......100yd- 4" to 5".
Blue dot- 8.0..50yd-1" to 2".......100yd- 2" to 3".
Blue dot-8.5...50yd-3" to 4".......100yd- 3" to 4".
Function was good with all loads.
Blue dot felt softer than the 2400, but same POA.
Going to try 7.5 of blue dot and some AA#9.