PDA

View Full Version : Doc's Orders

TXGunNut
07-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Piddling around the house today after spending much of the weekend in the hospital. Those annoying bouts of dizziness last week got worse and on Sat night wouldn't go away. Went to the ER, got admitted and finally escaped yesterday before they could order more tests. They decided I had a type of Vertigo and would need to stay home for 3 days and see my doc before driving. :-(
Suits me fine, I've cleaned my new Colt and clone after a bit of BP range time Sat. am. Brass is washed, dried and in the tumbler and I may just do some loading when it's clean, have some 32 WS brass in there too. Think I'll go clean a levergun, maybe do some laundry and housework.

LC Press
07-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Hope you get back on balanced feet soon. Vertigo is one that is tough to diagnose.

TXGunNut
07-01-2013, 02:45 PM
It seems they're spot on with this one, hope it runs it's course soon. Rx is ensuring I get lots of sleep, couldn't stay awake thru my movie last night.

41 mag fan
07-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Trust me...the time off does get boring....till you're back to work, then you'll wish you was off again!

JeffinNZ
07-01-2013, 06:24 PM
My late father used to get inner ear problems. He as miserable with it. Most unpleasant.

TXGunNut
07-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Time off is already a bit boring. Think I'll slip into the loading room to help pass the time.
I've had inner ear issues due to sinus infections, this is pretty much the same but it doesn't seem to be due to sinus.

NSB
07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Have them check your thyroid. They couldn't diagnose mine for several years and a new doctor finally found I had a slightly under active thyroid. Called it "sub clinical hypothyroid". Take a small pill every day and no more problems.

TXGunNut
07-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Thyroid? Wow, thanks for the tip. Seeing my doc tomorrow, we'll see what he thinks. He's pretty sharp.

firefly1957
07-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I have a damaged nerve in my right ear used to have trouble at work when a bearing went bad in a pump i would loose my balance it was actually dizziness as i felt i was falling , it does not make sense to me either as vertigo is the sensation of spinning ? Anyway certain loud noises cause it lately it is only those loud car stereos doing it the shop vacuum can if is use it to long and driving with the windows open is bad when you get the thumping sound. Bad thing about low frequency sound is it is very hard to block plugs and muffs are nearly useless for them .

uscra112
07-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Been there - 7 or 8 years ago. Doctors told me that it's caused by tiny calcifications that break loose and rest on the cilia in the inner ear. Mine went away in a couple of days and has only returned twice, and only for a few hours. There's hope!

Phil

uscra112
07-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Bad thing about low frequency sound is it is very hard to block plugs and muffs are nearly useless for them .

The F-35's high-bypass engine has a unique sound signature with a lot of low-frequency energy. (I've heard it, but only at a distance - it is different.) Friends at Lockheed told me that it took a couple of years to work out hearing protection to cope with it.

km101
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Been there, and I really feel for you! Mine was inner ear problems caused by allergies and sinus. That was the worst month of my life. Couldn't stand up and couldn't lie down!

Finally a combination of antihistamines and antibiotics did the trick. Hope yours works out soon!

TXGunNut
07-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Apparently mine is the same variety as uscra112's, not related to infection. Saw the doc today, he basically said "sucks to be you" and offered to refer to an ENT guy but didn't offer much hope. He's not my regular doc but I know him and appreciate his honesty. I think I'll see what the next few days brings, he said I could drive if I felt like it so I'm planning on going back to work Friday, just don't think I'll be able to do my old job. Could be interesting.
Good news is I've loaded up a few plinker 32 WS rounds, a big handful of 45 Colt BP rounds and (almost) all my guns are clean. Also my barrelled action is on it's way home from JES, a custom gunstock on the way from Boyds and brass, rings and a VX-3 scope is on the way from Midway. Ol' Ugly is coming together again[smilie=w:... but I think she might need a new name.

Spokerider
07-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Google "Epley Manouver". There are some you tube vids on it as well.
Read up on this treatment and how / why it helps correct vertigo. You can perform it yourself at home, but it is a bit easier if you have someone to help you with it. It may help you.

TXGunNut
07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Spokerider! Did a quick search and feel pretty sure I need to look into it. Not sure if I have that particular type of vertigo or which ear is affected but it definitely sounds like something worth investigating.