PDA

View Full Version : UTVs Looking for opinions.

Boz330
07-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I have had the use of a Polaris Ranger for work around the farm but might loose the use of it. I was thinking about looking for something used and would like opinions from those of you that have some experience with them. It is pretty amazing how useful it is around the farm. Even just to keep from walking from one end to the other. Thanks.

Bob

HarryT
07-01-2013, 10:10 AM
You can get a Suzuki Samurai for under $2000. Its street legal and not much bigger than a UTV.

Shooter
07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
I wish I had bought a "Bad Boy Buggy". Electric, no starting problems, no tune-up, no gas to buy.

JeffinNZ
07-01-2013, 06:23 PM
You can get a Suzuki Samurai for under $2000. Its street legal and not much bigger than a UTV.

....and they'll go up the side of a house. Great idea.

rush1886
07-01-2013, 07:07 PM
I wish I had bought a "Bad Boy Buggy". Electric, no starting problems, no tune-up, no gas to buy.

And if O gets his way, no electricity (no coal to fire the generation plants) to recharge them!

Guess that's not a big worry in NZ, though! Yet!

possom813
07-01-2013, 07:12 PM
We had an old 3 wheel golf cart for a long time, picked it up from the local classifieds for $100 and put a set of batteries on it for about $400 and added one of the solar charger/maintainers from Northern Tool that a friend wired up to all 6 batteries to keep them charged and ready.

I wish I still had it, but we upgraded to 4 wheelers after 2 or 3 years of having it around. Bad thing about the 4 wheelers, not a lot of room for passengers.

John Allen
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
I have one of the 6 wheel drive John Deere gators. It is great. I have already had it loaded so full that I had to have my son stand on the front bumper so I could steer. Mine has the electric dump which does make life nice. I added an aftermarket high side kit so that I can fit more firewood on it for hauling out of the woods. The only gripe I have is that it barely stears when you lock the differential for all four rear wheels to drive but that is to be expected.

L Ross
07-01-2013, 07:52 PM
I have owned a Polaris Ranger since I bought it new in April of 2010. It has 180 hours on it now. Trouble free and my wife loves it as she does not like backing up an ATV with a trailer behind it. Our model is a 400 with regular carburation. The switch for one wheel drive, two rear wheel lock, and 4 wheel drive is nice. We use 1 wheel drive most of the time as it does not tear up the turf.

Duke

Honorstick
07-01-2013, 11:05 PM
This is what I use around the farm and out in the hunting woods, I have a hitch receiver on both ends and I have less than $1200 into it.

Hamish
07-01-2013, 11:26 PM
The primary problem with Polaris is starters going when you submerge the bottom end.

I have seen Samurai's with taller than standard tires make Jeeps look sick, whether it be crossing mud, water, or sand fields. We took the tops off and made a plywood wall to go behind the seats and made a little truck out of them. (I use the term truck loosely, you can't get much in them.)

Down South
07-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I have a Grizzly 600cc 4-wheeler and a golf cart pictured. The golf cart, I added the back seat and an extra leaf to the back springs. I put a light kit on it for night travel. I put a 6" lift kit on it and aftermarket wheels and tires. I put a stereo system in, not pictured. It sports a 4-gun rack on the back now, not pictured.
The back seat flips over to make a bead to haul stuff on.

boltaction308
07-02-2013, 08:05 AM
I have a Kawaski Mule and a golf cart. I like the mule much better, it goes a lot faster. There many different models of the Mule including a diesel version.

buckwheatpaul
07-02-2013, 09:21 AM
eI have 2 kawasaki mules....one is a 2001 and a 2012. They are dynomos....We have a working ranch and the UTV is paramount......One time we harvested 6 wild hogs and 4 were in the back of the old mule.....well over 800 pounds....I just worked and worked and worked....You cant go wrong.......

dakotashooter2
07-02-2013, 10:17 AM
WE have a gator for work but if you are going to be using it in any amount of water forget it. They must have an exposed clutch because any time I got in water over 8" deep it started to slip and I went nowhere......

H.Callahan
07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
....and they'll go up the side of a house. Great idea.

OR up the side of a bridge abutment!

http://youtu.be/ey01zTGC1c0

JeffinNZ
07-02-2013, 06:24 PM
OR up the side of a bridge abutment!

http://youtu.be/ey01zTGC1c0

Outstanding. Case in point.

Phoenix
07-03-2013, 12:33 AM
I have a land pride trekker. 20hp Honda engine. 700 hours no problems. They are built for work. Cvt transmission. Nothing but good things to say. Was made in the USA. Only paid 5k for it with 90 hours. A real workhorse. It just doesn't go fast its only downside.