PDA

View Full Version : Well that was dumb

gofastman
07-01-2013, 08:55 AM
I got my rotary tumbler from STM and some of phil3333's media
It worked great until I decided to try tumbling some loaded rounds that had a thick coating of 45-45-10 on them. Oh it cleaned the bullets alright, but now my pins are covered in lube and they wont clean brass! [smilie=b:
any idea how to clean my pins? i tried a few runs of Dawn+hot water but it only cleaned a little bit off, should I just keep doing this or does anybody have a better idea?

GRUMPA
07-01-2013, 09:05 AM
If it were me I would soak them in something like Kerosene for 20 minutes and then put them in the tumbler with Dawn and see how it goes.

gofastman
07-01-2013, 09:12 AM
If it were me I would soak them in something like Kerosene for 20 minutes and then put them in the tumbler with Dawn and see how it goes.
I was thinking something along those lines (maybe mineral spirits?) but Im worried about swelling or damaging the rubber liner on the tumbler

GRUMPA
07-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Don't soak them in the tumbler itself, I would use a glass bowl and soak them for a bit and them rinse them off in hot water then I would tumble them.

And I think mineral spirits would work just fine.

Jim
07-01-2013, 09:21 AM
45% of Recluse's lube (the alox) is a petroleum distillate. A volatile product like gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel or mineral spirits will disolve it.

From time to time, I need to clean alox based lube off boolits. I put the boolits in a 5 gallon bucket, cover them with a bit of K-1 kero and give them a good swirl. The kero is poured off and the boolits get laid out on a towel on the tailgate of my truck to dry.

I would imagine that could be done with the pins, but I certainly wouldn't do that with loaded ammo.

mdi
07-01-2013, 11:31 AM
never mind...:sad:

runfiverun
07-01-2013, 02:23 PM
heat them up and wash them in mineral spirits it will cut the 45 lube.

VHoward
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
You put loaded ammo in a wet tumbler?

USMC87
07-02-2013, 09:04 AM
My vote is mineral spirits.

gwpercle
07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
I thought pins were used with water in the rotary tumbler....what did all this wet tumbling do to the loaded rounds ? I dont even put loaded rounds in a vibrator with walnut media, kind of afraid what it would do to the powder inside the case and if water gets to primers or into powder, seems like you could be spending some of time with a bullet puller. Just thinking out loud.

Gary