PDA

View Full Version : H&R Ultra Slug Ring Height

wtfooptimax200
07-01-2013, 07:31 AM
I have a redfield 3-9x40 that I plan to mount on a new USH...any advice on run height to clear the hammer without going too high? I'll be mounting with Warne Maxima rings.

Thanks,
Branden

Bjornb
07-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Is this a Handi Rifle? If so there's frequently an issue with eye relief vs. hammer clearance. I've found that this scope mount with integrated rings solves most problems:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/947156/dnz-products-game-reaper-1-piece-scope-base-with-1-integral-rings-h-and-r-ultra-nef-handi-rifle-matte-extra-high

Tatume
07-07-2013, 06:54 AM
My Ultra Slug has a 4x Swift in medium rings. There is no latitude in position, it goes where it clears the hammer.

CPL Lou
07-08-2013, 04:29 PM
High rings are the only way to go with mounting a scope on H&R's single shot guns, IMHO.
That's also what H&R recommends in their manual.
The DNZ mount works out great on my BC, no flex to worry about.

CPL Lou

Double B
07-13-2013, 09:07 AM
I used a Nikon 2x7 in Weaver high rings on my handi. Depending on the bell of that scope and where you position it for appropriate eye relief, it should work for you. I know some guys like the extra high rings too but it gets you awful far up off the stock. You'll probably need the hammer extension

07-13-2013, 10:16 AM
I've used lower rings and ground down the hammer with the hammer spur attached. I plan on a drill and tap into the side of the hammer and installing a pin to act as my hammer spur instead of the friction fit types. Sounds like a trip to bubba land, but really, with a little deft redesign of the hammer, you can use lower scope mounts. Reblue the hammer and nobody notices.

Beagler
07-14-2013, 09:29 PM
I got the medium Warne rings on my USH with a 3-7x32 nikon

wtfooptimax200
07-15-2013, 07:53 PM
I got the medium Warne rings on my USH with a 3-7x32 nikon

That's what I ordered...waiting on them to come in....hopefully they work out, as I worry about cheek weld with the higher rings.

Whiterabbit
07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I use medium warne rings. The ocular is REAL close, but clears.

if you have the montecarlo stock, you'll be fine. The straight stock is too low. And if the monte is too low, you can just stick a circle of foam on the cheekrest area.

Whiterabbit
07-18-2013, 12:41 PM
I've used lower rings and ground down the hammer with the hammer spur attached. I plan on a drill and tap into the side of the hammer and installing a pin to act as my hammer spur instead of the friction fit types. Sounds like a trip to bubba land, but really, with a little deft redesign of the hammer, you can use lower scope mounts. Reblue the hammer and nobody notices.

Nothing wrong with bubba. There's a difference between a job done WELL and a job.....not.

And that's why I detest the idea of "doing things right". All too often it breeds incompetence when the alternative is to ignore proper protocols. If we all did things WELL instead of things RIGHT (or wrong), we would encourage people actually using attention-to-detail (like they should!) when things are "not done right".