PDA

View Full Version : Python

Aaron
09-30-2007, 11:19 PM
I have an extra 4 inch blued Colt Python. It has alot of holster wear and the best DA/SA action I have ever felt. Since it is cosmetically challenged, I was thinking about converting it to 41 or 44 special. Anyone know if this is at all feasible?

Thanks

targetshootr
10-01-2007, 12:33 AM
I heard of a few factory 41s but not sure if they ever did a 44 spl. It would probably require a five shot cylinder.

9.3X62AL
10-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I haven't seen a Python put up in a 41 caliber of any description. The Python's "I" frame is sometimes called the "41 frame" and this refers to the 41 Colt cartridge. The 41 Colt (Long and Short version) usually employed a chamber cut straight-through and originally used outside-lubricated bullets of similar diameter to its casing--about .405" or so. These cartridges were not powerful, dating from blackpowder days.

The question of whether the Python cylinder could safely chamber and contain a 41 or 44 Special is not a thing I can help with. I would refer the question to one of the high-line conversion gunsmithies like Cylinder & Slide or Hamilton Bowen. Colt's general practice "back in the day" regarding the 44 Special was to limit the caliber to the smokeless-frame Single Action Army and larger double-action New Service. That might be a clue from the OEM folks.

Edited to add.......before taking the plunge into a likely expensive conversion project, compare the prices on Colt New Service or S&W N-frame 44 Specials to the tariff charged to do the conversion. That Python has a SWEET trigger for sure, but so do the New Service examples (similar lockwork design), and a good gunsmith can refine either the Colt or S&W lockwork if it isn't to your liking as-is.

targetshootr
10-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I bet that's what he meant instead of 41 cal, a 41 frame. The cylinder of his didn't look long enough but I had no ammo to compare it to.

I love the looks of Pythons too so I have a 6" Python barrel which will be re-bore to 44 and cut to 4" and installed on a 586 with a 5 shot cyl. For something a little different.

MGD
10-01-2007, 09:36 PM
A friend of mine bought a 41 mag Python about 8 years ago at a little gun shop. He can to me after he had shot up all his ammo wanting more ammo as he thought the gun was a good shooter. According to the folks at Colt they made 100 each of 44 mag and 41 mag in Pythons, then tested them in engineering. They didnt hold up. The survivors were sold to Colt employees. How this gun got to Mid-Missouri is a mystery.

Lloyd Smale
10-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Id bet one would do fine in 41 special. Hell ive got a single six in 41 special and its got to be no stronger then a python. I guess my thoughts are that for what a guy could get for even a python with honest wear it might be wise to pawn it and find something closer to what you alitimately want.

PatMarlin
10-03-2007, 01:38 AM
The closest thing I have to a python is an old Colt model "Three Fifty Seven" with a 6" barrel, and I've been told it was the precursor to the python and the python was based on this revolver.

It is silky smooth and has a fantastic trigger. I haven't fired it in over 5 years.. :roll:

Aaron
10-04-2007, 12:26 AM
She's going to be turned into a 41. The smith doing my 500s agreed to do this as well.

Aaron