PDA

View Full Version : CZ550 American with LUX Stock???

armexman
06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Hola, I just traded a S&W M57 for a CZ-550 that has "American" on receiver but has a LUX (aka Bavarian or downward hump) stock on it. Is this possible??? Anybody know if this is okay?? Will it hurt me?;)
Rifle was made in 2005.
It has become the rifle that will make me sell many of my guns because now I will be getting a Lothar barrel in 9.3X62for an "ankara" M38 turk. then I am thinking of re-barreling a VZ22-24(?).
Thanks for your help.
Pictures to come soon.

Duckiller
06-30-2013, 11:38 PM
LGS suggested I didn't want one in that caliber because it would beat me up a whole bunch. I don't do well with pain. Configuration of stock is not something you are supposed to want in a large caliber.

Mk42gunner
07-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Whether it came from the factory like that or not, I can't say. If the barreled action is properly bedded, the rifle won't be hurt when firing.

I haven't fired a one of the humpbacked stocks in any centerfire caliber, but I like the way my CZ 452 fits. It might be better as an offhand stock than from a benchrest though.

Will it hurt you? I haven't fired a 9.3x62, but my ~9 lb .35 Whelen doesn't hurt, it does leave no doubt in my mind that the primer functioned correctly, but I can't say it hurts.

Robert

bikerbeans
07-02-2013, 06:15 AM
I have two CZ550 Magnums (375 H&H & 416 Rigby) with the "humpback" stock on them. For me, the humpback stock works very well with the factory open sights. I have also fired both guns with scopes and shooting from a rest they are fine. I did notice when shooting off hand with a scope it is harder for me with the humpback stock than it is with the open sights.

Since your stock is probably not factory fit you might want to verify that it has been fit correctly.

Recoil is in the mind, shoulder and sometimes the forehead of each individual so I wouldn't want to guess how it would feel to another.

BB

armexman
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks for your responses.
MK42- I think I will be emailing CZ and talking to the LGS owner about this "mix". I am not afraid of shooting this caliber; Matter of fact you could not erase my Stupid Grin every time I shoot this rifle.
BB- Strangely the rifle does not have open sights. I got over recoil when I fired a M-2 for three years. I did say I love this rifle? mais no?
Again thanks for your responses.

NVcurmudgeon
07-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Hola, I just traded a S&W M57 for a CZ-550 that has "American" on receiver but has a LUX (aka Bavarian or downward hump) stock on it. Is this possible??? Anybody know if this is okay?? Will it hurt me?;)
Rifle was made in 2005.
It has become the rifle that will make me sell many of my guns because now I will be getting a Lothar barrel in 9.3X62for an "ankara" M38 turk. then I am thinking of re-barreling a VZ22-24(?).
Thanks for your help.
Pictures to come soon.

armexman, I am a CZ fancier. My .22 LR is a CZ 452 Classic American and my .22 Hornet is a CZ 527 Classic American. Besides these two I have lusted for another CZ ever since I have fired a good friend's CZ 550 in 9.3 X 62 with LUX stock. "Anybody know if this is okay?? Will it hurt me?" I shot about half a box of full snort factory loads and it didn't hurt me. It was delightful how well the Ruckenbach stock fit me, I am 5' 7" on a good posture day and 120 lbs. My friend who owns this Czech jewel is big enough to play pro football and the same stock also fits him. The secret of the "Bavarian" stock is that it is made for comfortable shooting FROM FIELD POSITIONS. Believe me, if I could find a caliber hole in my collection, there would be a CZ 550 with the humpback stock in my safe. Trouble is, I have one or more rifles in every caliber CZ makes, or close enough, so I can't squeeze a CZ 550 into my rifle "family." Why your rifle has a stock that apparently isn't the right one to go with the "American" on the receiver I have no idea, but you have made a whale of a trade. What caliber is your new 550?

armexman
07-18-2013, 02:42 AM
NVC, the caliber is the one Dep. Al raves so much about;9.3X62.
Matter of fact I will always give him credit for me wanting this caliber; then again, I have a friend that thinks I'm crazy for only shooting metric calibers.
I am loading and shooting 41 Mag and 45 Colt, these days in preparation for cow elk in the fall. The CZ550 has a load of 60grns. of 4064 with 286grn Privi bullets.