PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid black rifle

NSP64
06-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Hi, I bought a BLACKrifle about 2 years ago. It is a gas piston design, with adjustable gas block. Using a modified AR lower, 1/7 twist AR barrel, uses AR mags. Side folding stock. $450.00 new.
I have been playing around with it and the adjustable gas system.

I loaded some H4895 under 55gr Dogtown bullets and saw how low I could go.
With the gas system wide open 18gr gives me full semi auto function with lock up after last round at 1850 fps from its 18" tube.

Funny thing is the company still has them for $485 ish.
It is not pretty, but I love it. Can fire with the stock folded.

Artful
06-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Are you refering to the AR180?

http://www.megpro.com/ar/180/ar180sf.jpg

Or the FN FNC

http://www.soldf.com/images/s_ak5_nykolv.jpg

Multigunner
07-01-2013, 12:11 AM
I had the opportunity to use an AR 180 for awhile many years ago. I much preferred it to the AR15 and CAR15.
From what I've heard the present British bull pup is a modification of the Sterling built AR180. Those had reliability problems at first because the sheet steel upper receiver was not very strong.

SciFiJim
07-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Funny thing is the company still has them for $485 ish.
It is not pretty, but I love it. Can fire with the stock folded.

So where are you finding them for sale at that price?

NSP64
07-01-2013, 05:37 AM
Gunbroker
V18

pipehand
07-01-2013, 07:35 AM
NSP64, thats a pretty neat collection of parts. If I'm not mistaken, Vulcan Arms is another iteration of Hesse Arms. Their reputation was not so good. You sound satisfied with your example, so that's what counts.

In today's market, that V18 is selling for what some are getting for SKS's.

NSP64
07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Exactly.
I like it for what it is.
A battle rifle.
Frankenstein.
Lol

Artful
07-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Ah, The Vulcan V18 is a semi-automatic rifle based on the ArmaLite AR-180, chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO. It is built using a modified carbon fiber AR-15 lower receiver coupled with a modified AR-180 upper receiver formed from heat treated SAE 4130 steel. Standard features of the rifle include an A2-style flash hider, 20” chrome lined barrel with a 1-7” twist, FAL-style hand guard, and polymer side-folding stock. Additionally, it utilizes STANAG magazines.
http://vulcanarmament.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=228&idp=0&his=0

The Vulcan V18 rifle is our version of the AR-180. It has the following features:
1. A2 flash hider, ½-28TPI
2. 20” barrel, 1-7” twist, CHROME lined
3. Machined gas block front sight base, co witnesses with the M1913 Picatinny rail mounted on the top of the upper receiver.
4. Fully adjustable gas system that allows the use of different loadings
5. FAL style hand guards made from virtually indestructible polymer
6. Short stroke gas piston overcomes the shortcomings of the M16 system. It is cleaner, cooler, more reliable
6. Upper is formed from heat treated SAE 4130 steel
7. Full length M1913 Picatinny scope mount, co-witness with front gas block rail
8. Unique charging handle designed for ambidextrous use, use as a forward assist, and functions as a shell deflector
9. AR ergonomics – Carbon fiber lower is stronger and lighter than aluminum, standard AR fire control parts, standard AR pistol grip, takes standard M16 magazines and drums. The lower is NOT the same as an AR lower, a V18 upper will NOT fit on a standard AR type lower
10. Last round hold open
11. Aluminum recoil plate
12. Polymer Skeleton left folding stock.

Each V18 purchased directly from Vulcan Group comes complete with muzzle break/flash hider, sling, manual, soft case, cleaning kit, oiler, gun lock, magazine, removable scope rail, and vulcan logo knife (no scope) - a $295 value!

Caliber: 5.56mm (.223 Rem)
Length: V18-100 - 39 inches
Weight: V18-100 - 6.8 Lbs
Barrel: V18-100 - 20” chrome lined, 1-7” twist

Glad yours is working well and you like it.

NSP64
07-01-2013, 10:18 AM
I had issues with mine, nothing I couldnt fix.
Mine had no chrome the last 1.5 " of barrel, so I chopped off last 2" and re-crowned. Shoots 2" @ 100 yrds now.

Multigunner
07-02-2013, 12:53 AM
TRW built a real odd low cost assault rifle prototype for an Army competition. It was intended as a sort of 5.56 version of the STEN or Grease gun class of throw away arm.

The boxy receiver fore arm unit housed a very simple recoil operated open bolt mechanism, full auto only IIRC. There was no pistol grip as such, the loaded magazine which seated near the rear of the receiver acting as the grip.
There was a rudimentary folding wire stock.
Not sure how they planned to use these, maybe a cheap PDW for storage in vehicles.

Artful
07-02-2013, 01:29 AM
That sounds like the Interdynamic MKS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdynamics_MKS

vs

TRW LMR (Low Maintenance Rifle)
The TRW-LMR was designed and built as a Low Maintenance Rifle. The LMR is built of corrosion resistant materials and has special finishes to minimize required cleaning. The weapon is gas operated and designed so that recoil and operating forces do not move the weapon off target. The rate of fire is relatively slow to allow for readjustment of fire between shots. A special, semi-permanent dry lubrication is used on the LMR which helps it to work well in any environment from tropical to arctic.

An extremely simple weapon, the LMR is a robust and accurate design. The design also makes use of a number of standard components such as the M60 trigger mechanism and the M16A1 magazine. The external look of the weapon is alike to the WW-2 German 7.92mm Fallschirmjagerwehr 42, except the TRW-LMR feds from the side like a STEN/STERLING weapon.
---
TECHNICAL SPECS

Ammo: 5.56 mm x 45 mm (.223 Rem)
Operation: Gas; automatic firing from open bolt position
Magazine: 20 or 30 round M16 type magazine
Sights: Post foresight; 300/500 m aperture rear
Rate of Fire: 450 rds/ min cyclic. Automatic 120 rds/ min with
sustained rate of fire of 30 rds/ min.
Effective Range: 450 m
Length: 87 cm
Weight: 3.6 kg loaded
Manufacturer: TRW (Thompson, Ramo & Woodridge, INC.)
Status: Experimental (adopted in very small quantities in 1973 for evaluation)
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/trw-low-maintenance-rifle/

Multigunner
07-02-2013, 01:53 AM
That sounds like the Interdynamic MKS
vs

TRW LMR (Low Maintenance Rifle)
The TRW-LMR was designed and built as a Low Maintenance Rifle. The LMR is built of corrosion resistant materials and has special finishes to minimize required cleaning. The weapon is gas operated and designed so that recoil and operating forces do not move the weapon off target. The rate of fire is relatively slow to allow for readjustment of fire between shots. A special, semi-permanent dry lubrication is used on the LMR which helps it to work well in any environment from tropical to arctic.

An extremely simple weapon, the LMR is a robust and accurate design. The design also makes use of a number of standard components such as the M60 trigger mechanism and the M16A1 magazine. The external look of the weapon is alike to the WW-2 German 7.92mm Fallschirmjagerwehr 42, except the TRW-LMR feds from the side like a STEN/STERLING weapon.
---
TECHNICAL SPECS

Ammo: 5.56 mm x 45 mm (.223 Rem)
Operation: Gas; automatic firing from open bolt position
Magazine: 20 or 30 round M16 type magazine
Sights: Post foresight; 300/500 m aperture rear
Rate of Fire: 450 rds/ min cyclic. Automatic 120 rds/ min with
sustained rate of fire of 30 rds/ min.
Effective Range: 450 m
Length: 87 cm
Weight: 3.6 kg loaded
Manufacturer: TRW (Thompson, Ramo & Woodridge, INC.)
Status: Experimental (adopted in very small quantities in 1973 for evaluation)
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/trw-low-maintenance-rifle/

That's it, or rather them. I had these rifles both in mind and somehow their features ran together in my memory.

Through come to think on it I may be thinking of an earlier rendition of the MKS, that stock doesn't match my memory, and the fore end isn't as long as I remember. Could be the Interdynamics is a refined development of the prototype rifle I'm thinking of.

Jupiter7
07-08-2013, 10:04 AM
NSP64, thats a pretty neat collection of parts. If I'm not mistaken, Vulcan Arms is another iteration of Hesse Arms. Their reputation was not so good. You sound satisfied with your example, so that's what counts.

In today's market, that V18 is selling for what some are getting for SKS's.

Vulcan/Hesse is still alive as Blackthorne. They sell crappy AR stuff. I saw a few of these V18's people pulled out of the closet and tried to sell during the recent panic buying, most wanted $1k+.