PDA

View Full Version : Cimmerron/Uberti 73 Winchester

Catch
06-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Well I went and bought me one. My old eyes don't see the barrel sights too well, but I am planning on a tang sight which improves my chances somewhat. I slugged the barrel this morning and to the best of my ability I think it is a .451 Groove diameter. I intend to keep the loads mild and use only lead bullets but I would sure appreciate some help from those of you who have worked with this rifle. I would like some advice on the loads to use for it, powder bullets etc. and the type of tang sight to put on it. Gas checks necessary?
What about duplex (black and smokeless) or fillers? I use COW in my 8mm Mauser and thinking it maybe will help the bullet from sinking in the case because of the tube magazine. A lot of questions in my mind, but I am looking foward to playing with it and hope to hear from some of you that have already had a good time with one of these.........Thanks in advance for your interest and help.......
Catch...

john hayslip
06-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Check Jeff's Outfitters for the tang sight. He carrys some reproductions of the old tang sights at what seems like a fair price.

Calamity Jake
06-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Slug the bore I think you will find that you will need a .454 dia. boolit, cast soft BHN 9-11 no gas check is needed.
I shoot 200 up to 260 RNFP with 4-6gr Red Dot, a nice mild load. Loaded OAL is critical so don't seat over listed max.

I have a Marbles and Lyman #2 Tang sight for sale if you are interested. Both will fit that 73.

hightime
06-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I slugged mine at .452. I like 455 Remington RNP 255gr. with 8.2 Unique and a roll crimp.

helice
06-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Catch,
Congratulations on your purchase. Those 1873 rifles are so gorgeous. Know you'll enjoy it..

eljefe
06-30-2013, 08:29 PM
The Marble's tang sight is really nice. It offers
windage and elevation adjustments. I have used
several on lever rifles in the past.

Assuming your rifle is chambered in 45 Colt,
you have a wide variety of loads that will shoot
well. I owned a Uberti 73 in 45 Colt and loaded
bullets from 200 to 255 grain with either Trail Boss
or Goex 2f. All shot well, with bullets on the soft
side, and proper lube.

I would recommend staying with cowboy
action data. The 73 design is not as strong
as the 92 design, and should not be loaded too hot.

Catch
07-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Dear Jake, Would you describe the Marble sight for me. I am assuming that it has windage adjustment. What size is the disc in diameter, and the hole? What would you have to have or take in trade for it? Thanks for all you guys help........ Catch

Calamity Jake
07-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Look here: http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang.html
the one on the right, apture is .06 in dia. but can be changed or drilled out bigger.
It is windage adjustable. You can get spare parts here http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=marbles+tang+sight

As you can see Midway sells it for $127. The one I have being used but in very good shape should be worth $95 shipped
or what you got to trade?

Catch
07-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Jake.........Is it true that the Marble sight has only one mounting hole? (replacing the tang screw?). Do you find that that is tight enough to keep the sight still?
If so, I have many years worth of stuff laying around. What are you interested in? Catch........

Larry Gibson
07-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I developed a load to basically duplicate the original 44-40 ballistics for the M73 using a 200 gr (Lee 452-200-RF cast of softer range lead + 2% tin +30% lead, sized .454) at 1150 fps. It is very accurate and I use it in my two Uberti SAAs also (930 fps in those). I use 7.5 gr of Bullseye under that bullet. I have also pressure tested it and it is right at the SAAMI MAP of 14,000 psi for the 45 Colt in older style guns.

No GC is needed. I have also shot a lot of factory CBA loads from various makers. Those most all have cast bullets of .451 or .452 diameter. Some are cast hard and some soft. Most are very, very mild and have minimal velocity down in the 700 - 900 fps range out of the rifle. My own Bullseye load is the most accurate and hitting a milk jug at 200 yards (even with my sorry old eyes) is easy. I also have used my load under commercial cast 200 gr bullets from several makers and it also is excellent with them. Most all of the 190 - 230 gr 45 ACP bullets do very well with that load also.

No filler is needed because a crimp should be used and most modern 45 colt dies will size the case so it gives adequate neck tension. I have shot thousands of rounds of 45 Colt through both my M73 (10 rounds) and my M92 Rossi (15 rounds) with the magazines fully loaded and never had had a single bullet set back. I load on a Dillon SDB with it's propriety dies and with Hornady dies on my single stage press or on my Dillon 550B. Again, never had a single bullet set back......no filler needed or advised.

Larry Gibson

Catch
07-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks Larry. That is very helpful info. I will try the Bullseye with a 230 flatpoint...........Catch

Larry Gibson
07-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Yup, I was really expecting that load to be up in the 18,000 - 20,000 psi range but it wasn't. A check in Lyman's 4th CBH shows N320, 231 and Red Dot loads under the same Lee bullet in the same load range for Colt style SAAs. The classic Load with 454190 or 45-255-KT over 8.5 gr Unique does run 18,000 psi. I've shot a lot of those and has a lot of Colt SAA shooters over many years w/o problems. The Bullseye load mentioned under the 200 gr Lee RF bullets is my favorite 45 Colt load and most often used one. As a matter of fact I've 300 rounds loaded to take up for my grandson to shoot up out of one of the Uberti's (artillery Model) and the Uberti M73.....I expect it won't take him long:D

Larry Gibson