PDA

View Full Version : MEC 600 Slugger Single Stage Shotshell Press

gfisher
06-30-2013, 03:51 PM
I just saw these advertised while trying to find a replacement part for my old MEC Press. Anyone had the chance to lay hands on one yet ? Any idea on the "Roll Crimp Like" crimp they are taking about ?

http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/600Slugger.asp

Thanks
-George

GRUMPA
06-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Well I clicked the link and read it, and when I got to the bottom of the page where the price was......well......glad I was sitting down. Seems a lot of places are proud of what they offer to the public.

mike_kaleigh
07-01-2013, 08:41 PM
i wonder how well it will roll crimp like the second time

longbow
07-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Yeah, for that price I will roll crimp separately like I have done for some time.

I bought my MEC Sizemaster for $150 (used but like new) which included a universal charge bar and several accessories and I picked up a used and again like new MEC 600 Jr. with universal charge bar and several accessories for $25.

If I could convert the 600 Jr. to the slug version cost effectively I would consider that but I am not about to drop $275 on a new one!

Sorry, I am cheap! If I loaded nothing but slugs and lots of them... well maybe.

Longbow

dbosman
07-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Way back in the early 1970s, when Forstner slugs were available as reloading fodder, I used to load them on a MEC 600 Jr. and put a nice crimp on them so they looked just like reloaded AAs. Which was the hull I was loading them into. I'd no idea that was the wrong way to do it.

Perhaps if we wait a bit, the manual will show up on the MEC site so we can compare the parts to a standard 600 Jr. ?

longbow
07-02-2013, 08:28 PM
You are right! I am not sure there is anything wrong with a fold crimp and slugs. As long as you can get the correct length wad column that will fold crimp, it should be fine. The major benefits of roll crimping to me are that you can see that the load is a slug and that the wad column length is not as important as with fold crimp because the roll crimp can be a bit deeper or shallower (within reason) and still work well.

Longbow