PDA

View Full Version : Load advice for .41 Magnum Carbine

dancingbear41
06-30-2013, 11:49 AM
A little while ago I bought an MP Molds #258 .41 Keith mould and I am after some advice for loading some hotter loads. I have a .41 Magnum bolt action carbine based on the Enfield No.4 and it uses Desert Eagle magazines. As a result my cartridge overall length is shorter that I used to be able to attain with a revolver. So I seat the bullet to crimp on the front of the driving band. I have had no issues with mid-range loads, nor would I expect any, by having the bullet deeper in the case. However I want to develop some proper magnum loads. I am aware I can start gently and work my way up but to save some time and resources I am asking for help. I don't think what I am doing is original, someone out there will have already done it, so I want some pointers as to the sort of ballpark to aim for.

The powders I have to hand are: H4227, H110, 2400 and N110.

I look forward to any comments. Thanks.

Simon.

leadman
06-30-2013, 01:20 PM
You may want to try to find some Lil' Gun. It takes less room in the case, more velocity and lower pressure. I'm using it in a Ruger SBH Hunter in 41 mag.

Larry Gibson
06-30-2013, 01:24 PM
That is probably new territory for about all 41 Magnum shooters. Even those with .41 rifles will probably be seating the bullet to crimp groove. Seating the bullet deeper reduces case capacity and, for a given load, increases psi. I suggest you don't look for a short cut but pick a powder (I would start with 2400) and start at the manual listed starting load minus 5 - 10 % and work up from there watching for the usual psi signs. If planning on using the same load with the bullet seated deep in a revolver I would work the load up in the revolver looking for velocities slightly less than with the same bullet seated to crimp groove and probably the 5 - 10 % more 2400. Tread softly.

Larry Gibson

quilbilly
06-30-2013, 04:40 PM
I have a 14" barrel Contender in 41 mag and experimented with Bullseye with good success. 6.6 gr of BE gave me a muzzle velocity of 1150 fps with very little variation (20 fps). My boolit is the tumble lube Lee. Wish it was legal to put my carbine butt stock on it because it is such a sweetheart to shoot as a carbine from a test on my backyard range. Oh well.

dancingbear41
06-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys.

I've just found some load data for a 255gr bullet loaded for a Marlin 1894 loaded to the correct OAL for the round. The loads look reasonable so if I regard them as maximum it will give me a starting point at about 10% less and work upwards.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC411265RF/data/loadnotes01.pdf

I am very aware that by seating deeper in the case the pressure will increase. Using load data for heavier bullets would seem to be a reasonable way to start especially if their overall length is short enought to fit in the Dessert Eagle mag.

Thanks again.

Simon.

TheGrimReaper
07-05-2013, 02:03 PM
A little while ago I bought an MP Molds #258 .41 Keith mould and I am after some advice for loading some hotter loads. I have a .41 Magnum bolt action carbine based on the Enfield No.4 and it uses Desert Eagle magazines. As a result my cartridge overall length is shorter that I used to be able to attain with a revolver. So I seat the bullet to crimp on the front of the driving band. I have had no issues with mid-range loads, nor would I expect any, by having the bullet deeper in the case. However I want to develop some proper magnum loads. I am aware I can start gently and work my way up but to save some time and resources I am asking for help. I don't think what I am doing is original, someone out there will have already done it, so I want some pointers as to the sort of ballpark to aim for.

The powders I have to hand are: H4227, H110, 2400 and N110.

I look forward to any comments. Thanks.

Simon.

Please tell us more about this rifle. It just sounds too cool. Did you build it?

punk427
07-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Wish it was legal to put my carbine butt stock on it because it is such a sweetheart to shoot as a carbine from a test on my backyard range. Oh well.

Isnt that stupid though?? for example the rossi ranch hand, I was interested in one for awhile just for a fun toy. I built a modified chuck Connors rifleman replica, its a rossi 92 in 45 colt with a 16" barrel and big loop. I shortened the length of the big loop making it a little deeper, it gives me a flatter surface to wrap my fingers around because I drilled the loop and built a spring loaded screw setup. The ranch hand would be a PERFECT base for that if I could legally put a stock length m92 buttstock on it, but no its illegal. So stupid.

dancingbear41
07-11-2013, 02:04 PM
In response to TheGrimReaper, sorry I have not been around here for a few days.

The rifle was built by a company called Armalon (www.armalon.com) in London. I have on in .45 ACP as well that uses EAA Witness mags. They are no cheap, but in the UK we are very limited to what we can have and who can supply it. The .41 is the only one they made and I would imaging that very few people shoot .41 Magnum in the UK. One of my friends has a Marlin but I have never come across another. After the .41 I convinced Armalon that they wanted to build a version in .30 Carbine, which they did. It is in their current line up of rifles they build. Mine was the first and it is a truly pretty little rifle.
This is my Armalon PC Carbine in .41 Magnum.

TheGrimReaper
07-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Sir, that is a wonderful little carbine!

felix
07-12-2013, 02:08 PM
I like it! What was the chosen twist? ... felix

jsheyn
07-12-2013, 02:52 PM
In response to TheGrimReaper, sorry I have not been around here for a few days.

The rifle was built by a company called Armalon (www.armalon.com) in London. I have on in .45 ACP as well that uses EAA Witness mags. They are no cheap, but in the UK we are very limited to what we can have and who can supply it. The .41 is the only one they made and I would imaging that very few people shoot .41 Magnum in the UK. One of my friends has a Marlin but I have never come across another. After the .41 I convinced Armalon that they wanted to build a version in .30 Carbine, which they did. It is in their current line up of rifles they build. Mine was the first and it is a truly pretty little rifle.
This is my Armalon PC Carbine in .41 Magnum.

WOWER!!!

Thanks for that info...I sure wouldnt mind getting my hands on that little gem

Blammer
07-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Neat rifle. Your request is a good one, but there are very few 41 mag carbines avialable in the USA. I can't even name ONE at the moment. I know there is a levergun and that is it.

Cosmiceyes
07-13-2013, 02:37 AM
My brain went into gear.Ruger 44 semi auto rifle converted.Cheap gun made better because it's a .41! :)'s
Maybe the 77/44 bolt action? You know they make a 357/77 bolt action now too. But modify the 44 is easier.

dancingbear41
07-13-2013, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the interest. It is a unique gun. I had two .41 Mag revolvers when pistols were banned in the UK. I really liked the calibre and so wanted to keep it alive. I have a friend who has the Marlin so we are our own little interest group. As far as I know there is certainly one other .41 in England because Armalon contacted me once to ask if I could supply them with some bullets for a customer. Mine was the only .41 they built. They have not made their PC (pistol calibre) carbine for a few years now although they are currently doing their last production run of .45's and 9mm's. One of my friends is having one of the .45's.

As far as I know the twist rate is the standard 1 in18 3/4". I am ashamed to say I have never checked it myself. I don't know who made the barrel but it was a one off because nobody produced an "off the shelf" .41 blank. The barrel on my .45 was made by Lothar Walther and those were the barrels Armalon used at the time. A few years ago they purchased the old Parker Hale barrel hammer forging equipment and they currently make their own barrels. I have just had my Remington .222 rebarrelled by them and they have made a beautiful job.

It is much more substantial that a Ruger 77/44, I have one of those too. Armalon also do a cock-on-opening, match trigger package with it as well. This makes it much easier to use than the traditional cock-on-closing of the standard .303 rifle. The triggers are amazing. In fact the only downside is the price. They are very expensive, but they are custom. You get what you pay for. There are other subtle little touches like the bolt throw being shortened to length necessary for each cartridge and the hammer strike is tuned to the cartridge. Peter Sarony (Armalon's owner) is a perfectionist and the attention to detail is superb.

I could continue blabbing but I will stop for now. When the weather cools off (I shouldn't complain now that we actually have some nice weather) I will develop some loads and find the appropriate place to relay my findings.

Simon.