PDA

View Full Version : 7.62X54R/Lee DC CTL 312 160 2R boolit deer load

Sweeper
06-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Need some help from those that have been loading cast boolits for their Mooosins. The boolits will be sized at .313 to accommodate my Moooosin's barrel, and gas checked, then tumble lubed with mule snot. At this point I need a good starting point to work my loads up from.

These rounds will be my deer hunting ammo this year, and I need to keep them accurate to 500 plus yards.

Thanks in advance for the help!

leadman
06-30-2013, 01:35 AM
If you want to hunt with cast for deer in a Mosin you have some work to do. First would be a good scope. The load to reach 500 yards with hunting accuracy will have to be in the higher velocity range so it means one of the medium to slower rifle powders, same as for a jacketed bullet.
You are definitely going to want to sort by weight to at least + or - .5grs, probably even less. Cases should be fireformed to the chamber and neck sized or just push the shoulder back a couple of thousands.
The lube may or may not hold up to the velocity needed. Make everything as consistent as you can.
I'm sure others will chime in also.

waksupi
06-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Why on earth are you shooting deer at 500 yards? I've belly crawled on antelope and killed them with flintlocks and pistols, with three inches of grass and prickly pear for cover.

Jupiter7
06-30-2013, 02:10 AM
500yds, mosin, iron sights...good luck. I've never had to shoot a deer outside 200yards.

HABCAN
06-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Welcome, Sweeper! Note well all of the above! For a HUNTING boolit, suggest Lyman #31141 G.C.'d or equivalent, cast 50/50. And......you'll probably want to size a few thou bigger for that Mosin's THROAT. (My .303's love .314" dia.) Then, use your woodcraft, sneak up on the buggers and shoot from within 200 yds. MAX: It's called 'Hunting'. Starting load for that? Mine is 18.0 grs. IMR 4227, CCI 200. YMMV.

blixen
06-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Ha. sweeper's pulling some leg with the 500 yard baloney.

Sweeper
06-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Last year my deer was shot at 420 yards, about 30' elevation drop, I live in wheat country, and sometimes the only shot you get at a deer is a long one. And this is no iron sight Mosin. It has a PE scope mount, AR style 1" offset scope rings, a decent 3-9 on it and has been well accurized. I shoot this rifle with handloaded Sierra bullets at over 600 yards all the time, so I want to learn how to match that with cast boolits.

I'm new to casting boolits, but last year I used .311 sized Privi soft point (production rounds) and wanted to build my own loads with a cast boolit.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

singleshot
06-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Last year my deer was shot at 420 yards, about 30' elevation drop, I live in wheat country, and sometimes the only shot you get at a deer is a long one. And this is no iron sight Mosin. It has a PE scope mount, AR style 1" offset scope rings, a decent 3-9 on it and has been well accurized. I shoot this rifle with handloaded Sierra bullets at over 600 yards all the time, so I want to learn how to match that with cast boolits.

I'm new to casting boolits, but last year I used .311 sized Privi soft point (production rounds) and wanted to build my own loads with a cast boolit.

In that case, you'll need to paper patch those boolits and push them to max velocity. You want that boolit to be bhn 12 or less and strike at 2000-2400 fps to get good expansion. I don't think you can keep that boolit above 2000 fps out to 500 yards, but haven't plugged it into a ballistic calculator. With bhn 8, dead-soft lead, you might get good expansion out of that boolit down to 1800 fps, but YMMV. If you hit at 1600 fps or less, that boolit will simply drill a .312 hole through the critter.

bruce drake
06-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Sweeper,

It sounds like you are just starting out with cast bullets so you've got a great opportunity to work with some really experienced casters and shooters on this forum. That distance (500yds) can be done with a cast bullet but you are going to have to grab hold of a fire hose of information very quickly to get the rifle shooting to its potential with your cast bullets before next fall. A couple of people have already mentioned stalking closer, using slow rifle powders for a more efficient burn as well as the additional tricks of paper-patching your cast bullets for higher velocity with a softer alloyed bullet.

Welcome to the forum and good luck and don't get discouraged at your first attempts.

Bruce

Larry Gibson
06-30-2013, 04:28 PM

As mentioned you'll want to PP that bullet or preferably get a 311299 to PP and use. That is a 200 gr bullet with a higher BC than the Lee you mention. You will need 2500 fps muzzle velocity to hold around 1500 fps at 500 yards. Can you place a cast bullet with that minimal velocity and retained energy at that range with the MN? You might also want to consider the alloy and perhaps a small HP with the Forster 1/8" HP tool.

However, sometimes what we want and what we can do are not the same. If you can not get closer than 200 yards to reliably take a deer (killing the deer isn't the only consideration, recovering the deer is just as important) with a cast bullet then perhaps some reconsideration is in order. Given that and the amount of deer I've killed with cast bullets (yes a couple with my MN M91/28 sniper) I would suggest, if you are going to shoot past 200 yards at deer, you stick with a quality jacketed bullet made for hunting. The Sierra .311 180 gr SP is an excellent one. I push it at 2650 fps with moa accuracy out of my M91/28 sniper and it holds very well to 500 yards. None the less, wheat field or no, get as close to the deer as possible (that's the "hunting" part) and don't take the shot if you are not 100% sure of a hit in the vitals (that's the ethical part). I'm not one to say not to shoot a deer a 500 yards just be sure you can do it at that time under the conditions present is all. Truthfully, as much as I hate to say it, a jacketed bullet will suit your needs/wants much better.

Larry Gibson

Sweeper
07-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys!

It is what it is. A couple years ago I got my deer at only 30 yards, but last year my shot was at the upper end of the range, and I need something that makes up a good, consistent round. If it's going to be too complicated, I'll just buy some good soft popint projectiles and load up some hunting loads.

I was hoping to work up a boolit of my own make to hunt with this year, but I can still use these boolits for whistle pigs and coy dogs.

WILCO
07-01-2013, 09:07 PM
In that case, you'll need to paper patch those boolits

Yep. That was my first thought. Welcome aboard Sweeper!

WILCO
07-01-2013, 09:09 PM
If it's going to be too complicated.....

Castboolits aren't complicated once you understand it's a different world from FMJ's.