PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Mixup Mea Culpa

40-82 hiker
06-30-2013, 12:06 AM
I am posting this in the hope it is a reminder to all how a cartridge mix up can so easily happen. This one with good results! Next time?

Never had an "accident", until the other day (I'm 60). There is a lesson here, so I am printing my Mea Culpa publicly.

I was at the range the other day shooting my .45-70 1884 Trapdoor. Some of my cartridges fell out of the box I had them loosely boxed in, coming to rest in a dishpan full of other shooting stuff (staple gun, shooting glasses, etc.), so I picked up the cartridges and put them back in the box. I fired one shot, okay. I fired the second shot and it sounded much like a firecracker going off in a pipe, with no felt recoil. What the heck? I ejected the casing, and I could not believe what I was looking at. The casing had a small split just behind a "new" shoulder, with the front of the casing being much smaller in diameter than it should have been. It took just a couple of seconds to see the problem, and it really had me mad at myself. I must have had a loose .40-82 that was apparently floating around in the bottom of the pan (no others were present - it must have been a "stray"), and I picked it up with the .45-70s I had retrieved. Without noticing it I had chambered and fired it! The way too long neck was fire formed in the throat and bore, and the bullet had gone downrange and hit the dirt somewhere, but I did not see where it hit. I checked the bore and chamber thoroughly and there were no problems. The remaining shots for the afternoon were as accurate as ever, and it appears the only damage done was to my ego. Argh! The boolit being much smaller than the bore it developed very little pressure. I was using AA5744 in both cartridges, though this has no bearing on this matter.

For those not familiar with these cartridges, they both have the same dimensions up to the point of caliber and length, so the odd cartridge headspaced properly on the rim, with the boolit small enough to easily pass into the throat and bore.

What makes this accident even more unforgivable is that I was not even shooting my .40-82 '86 Win. that day!

So: 1) I'll get a good ammo box for my .45-70s, as I have for my .40-82s. No more loose boolits in a box.
2) Pay attention to each round as I chamber it.

Oh heck, the rest is obvious...

I have heard and read of such, but never thought I would fall for this mistake. I know the rule one gun, one type of boolits on the line at a time, and really was not guilty of such. But, this still happened!

Just food for thought at my expense.

Bob

Cosmiceyes
06-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Wow. God blesses everyone,but the special baby sitters have to watch out for children,and middle age men like us! Mine was a 22 Lr in a 22 mag derringer.Same phenomenon for result. Friend loaded the little thing up,and handed it to me to try.Said he couldn't hit the target at all. I thought it might be the trigger pull.Target 10 feet. Boolit hit dirt under target 5 feet to the right. I cocked,and shot again.Boolit went somewhere in space. I opened up the offensive little piece,and saw strangely deformed 22 cases.I had to pull them out with a screw driver,and pliers.I looked at his box of shells.I then looked at the caliber on the gun.The gun was given to him by his father.He didn't know there was a difference between 22 Lr and 22 mag.I'm the new step dad.So we had a safety class right then an there. Whew! :)'s

country gent
06-30-2013, 07:05 AM
Seen this happen to a club member. He had a garand with the Navey insert in the chamber, converted rifle from 30-06 to 308 by locktiting this little insert in the chamber. At some point after it was installed it pulled out on extraction and he shot several 308s thru the 06 chamber. Made a neat looking straight walled case. Luckily no one was hurt, gun worked and wasnt damaged he was fine just lost some brass. We were looking around for brass and found the case with the insert still on it.

Tom Herman
07-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Bob,

I'm glad that you're OK... I'll fess up as well: It's been a while, but once or twice I've had .44 SPL or .44 Mag get mixed up in loose .45 LC ammo and didn't notice it until too late.
The cases don't sound right and the front 2/3 or so fire forms to .45 caliber.
I'm a bit more careful now...

-Tom

flounderman
07-03-2013, 10:49 PM
It happens. Shot a couple of 7 mags in a 300 win mag. Had several rifles I was sighting in and reached into the wrong box. No problems, except ruined a couple cases. Was having problems hitting deer last fall, using a 260 that had been a kill everything you shot at gun. I was using 243 cases and I didn't know there was a box of 50 243s in the truck, the same color box as the 260s. I would shoot a shot or three and replace the shells in the magazine with some more 243s. Saved a lot of deers lives.