PDA

View Full Version : Key lock parts replacement on S&W revolvers?

km101
06-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Can the keylock parts on S&W model 60 revolver be replaced with non keylock parts? I have read that this is possible, but have no hard information. Has anyone done it, or had it done. I do not own (and never will) a S&W revolver with a keylock, so I don't know what parts would have to be replaced or if these guns will accept standard parts.

Also can the keyhole be plugged without welding? Is there a kit or part available for this?

I don't want to do anything to hurt the reliability of the gun, but I cant stand the trigger pulls that I have seen on the keyhole guns. So if it is just a matter of ordering parts and changing them out, I can do that. But I thought if there was a kit available, I would try the easy route.

Thanks!

dragon813gt
06-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Yes, the locks can be removed. There are videos on YouTube showing how. And there are instructions on the S&W forum. There are people that make plugs to fill the hole as well.

55BoysATR
06-29-2013, 09:59 PM
What he said...

Metal injected molded parts, closing of the fitting room, and the internal lock..... Modern changes that aren't quite for the better.

bearbud
06-30-2013, 02:20 AM
What dragon813gt said.
After the lock has been removed and the hole plugged you are still restricted to new MIM parts. The old style case hardened hammer with the firing pin can't be installed. Like you I do not own a S&W with the lock or ever the pre-lock with the MIM parts. I just like the older ones better.

historicfirearms
06-30-2013, 02:38 PM
You can file the locking nub off the lock and leave that part in. That way there is no need to plug a hole.

Removing the lock will not affect the trigger pull.

km101
06-30-2013, 07:06 PM
You can file the locking nub off the lock and leave that part in. That way there is no need to plug a hole.

Removing the lock will not affect the trigger pull.

So you cannot install the old style case hardened hammer, etc.?
And if removing the lock does not affect the trigger pull, why do these guns have such s****y trigger pulls?

km101
07-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Well that kills any incentive for buying a "keyhole" S&W. If you cant change it back to the pre-keylock configuration, then I would not own it.

Thanks for the information, and for keeping me from making a big mistake!