PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Cleaning Dirty Stocks

Rick N Bama
06-29-2013, 07:24 PM
UPDATE!

Due to having Murphy's Oil Soap on hand I decided to try that first which I'm glad I did. I started off with a strong mix of 1/2 cup of water to 1 cup of the MOS. As I began spraying it on the stock I could see the crud melting off along with some of the finish. I added more water using the SWAG method to determine how much & sprayed the stock down with that. Long story short after 3 sprayings & wiping down the stock seems to be clean. There's still some of the smoke odor which I guess will take time to get any better.

Anyway I'm going to allow the stock to stay outside for a week or so then I'm going to apply several coats of "Minwax Antique Oil Finish" what I just so happened to have on hand from another project.

Thanks again for all the tips guys!

I have inherited what I think might be a Mossberg M146 22cal rifle. The wood & metal are in terrible shape due to neglect over the past 25 or so years. The main problem with the wood is that the previous owner & his wife were both heavy smokers & the wood seems to have absorbed the smoke along with the odor. How should I go about cleaning the wood to get rid of the smoke buildup along with the odor? I’m using Kroil along with 4-ought Steel Wool on the metal.

I inherited the Mossberg, but I bought a basic model Savage Mark II with a synthetic stock. The metal is in OK condition, but the stock also has the smoke buildup & odor. How can I best clean that? I'm thinking Murphy's Oil Soap & elbow grease?

Help please!

Rick

markinalpine
06-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Try Johnsons Paste Wax with a rough, cotton cloth such as a piece of old blue jean for the wood.
Mark [smilie=s:

DCP
06-29-2013, 09:34 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_5133370_remove-cigarette-smoke-wood.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCuQmOTXlug

John Allen
06-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Try murphys oil soap it has worked for me.

pietro
06-29-2013, 10:24 PM

I use Formby's Furniture Refinisher (HomeCheapo), following the directions on the can.

fouronesix
06-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Put some denatured alcohol into a small pan. Dip 0000 steel wool in alcohol. Rub stock. Wipe off with paper towel. Re-dip wool as needed. Repeat if necessary. Use the steel wool with oil for cleaning the metal surfaces.

And yes, for light refinishing of the stock I use Formby's Tung Oil Finish. Work fast (it's a light weight varnish type product) and use only a light coat. For complete stock stripping/sanding/staining/sealing/finishing, I use a completely different method.

Rick N Bama
06-30-2013, 07:21 AM
http://www.ehow.com/how_5133370_remove-cigarette-smoke-wood.html

I wonder what type of detergent to use?

I think I'm going to use some Murphy's as I have that on hand. If I can get the wood clean I think I'll then use the Formby's. Right now I can't even keep the Mossberg in the house because of the odor.

Thanks again,

Rick

waksupi
06-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Try Ballistol, and a course cloth.

izzyjoe
06-30-2013, 02:01 PM
you got to love Nicotine! ammonia will remove it, with an old t-shirt. glad i kicked that habit back in my teen years!

Rick N Bama
06-30-2013, 02:09 PM
you got to love Nicotine! glad i kicked that habit back in my teen years!

Ain't it the truth! However I waited until I had the Heart Attack before I kicked the habit. Oct 23, 2000 5:30PM. Smoked my last waiting on the Ambulance to arrive:)

I'm going to try most of the ideas you guys have posted to see which works the best. I hope to report back soon.

Rick

uscra112
07-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Once again I will recommend my tried and true method for deep cleaning dirty wood. I've done quite a few this way.

Your dishwasher - assuming it'll fit in. Set the machine as hot as it will go, and use a couple tablespoons of trisodium phosphate. That's the stuff they banned from dishwashing detergents, which is why they don't work anymore. You can still get straight TSP in the paint section of True Value hardware stores. It is still there because it is the only aqueous cleaner that will get cooking grease off kitchen walls. It also gets all the oil out of old gun wood, with no elbow grease required. It does not contaminate the machine, either, so SWMBO will not be alarmed.

This process does not deeply saturate the wood with water, but it is good to let it dry for a week or so before starting to refinish. I no longer live in a house with space for a dishwasher, but I might buy one just for this kind of cleaning, even if it has to live in the cellar.

Rick N Bama
07-03-2013, 03:55 AM
I think I saw TSP on the shelf at Lowes the other day. I have another to do that I may well try this on. Sounds interesting.

Rick

Once again I will recommend my tried and true method for deep cleaning dirty wood. I've done quite a few this way.

Your dishwasher - assuming it'll fit in. Set the machine as hot as it will go, and use a couple tablespoons of trisodium phosphate. That's the stuff they banned from dishwashing detergents, which is why they don't work anymore. You can still get straight TSP in the paint section of True Value hardware stores. It is still there because it is the only aqueous cleaner that will get cooking grease off kitchen walls. It also gets all the oil out of old gun wood, with no elbow grease required. It does not contaminate the machine, either, so SWMBO will not be alarmed.

This process does not deeply saturate the wood with water, but it is good to let it dry for a week or so before starting to refinish. I no longer live in a house with space for a dishwasher, but I might buy one just for this kind of cleaning, even if it has to live in the cellar.

gunauthor
07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
I have had great success cleaning cosmoline soaked military stocks (or even oil saturated "civilian" stocks) with Easy Off oven cleaner. I do it outside (oven cleaner is nasty, caustic stuff) by spraying a heavy coat on the wood and laying it on old newspapers. A hot, sunny day helps and usually two coats does the trick. I let it sit for about 1/2 hour after coating and wipe off the crud with paper towels. After the oven cleaner works it's magic, I spray the stock with water from the hose and gently scrub the wood with gray (very fine grade) Scotch Brite. This process usually requires that the stock be re-stained as all coatings are removed. Be sure and wear hand protection a this stuff will do a number on your skin.
The dishwasher idea sounds great and much easier, but I do it the hard way as I prefer to keep my gonads intact (yup, I'm married).

docone31
07-03-2013, 12:28 PM
I have used Easy Off! for years. Don't get the scented stuff, just the regular.
Spray in on, wait, then rinse it off. Repeat untill done. I then lightly sand and start finishing.