PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Lee Classic Cast press...

Salmon-boy
06-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Ok, so I bought a Lee Classic Cast 50 BMG kit. I figured it was big enough to deprime and size the big 50, what the hay?

Since then, I've bent the press handle sizing/depriming (boy are the primers STAKED in, in the wcc cases I picked up) and then while working on another project (swaging 22's into .223's) I wound up shattering the lever sleeve which anchors the handle in place..

I'm starting to think that I'm slightly abusive towards my equipment.. Should I be able to swage wire at cam-over??

1hole
06-29-2013, 07:59 PM
It's an excellant single stage reloading press, it's NOT a "swaging" press. No reloading press is.

That lever is a hollow pipe so it will bend before something breaks. If you're bending it you're doing something wrong because no reloading chore properly done requires that much pressure.

joec
06-29-2013, 07:59 PM
I've never used the 50 BMG kit but mine has been great and done all I asked of it. I use it with the universal de primer die, various lead sizing dies, bulge buster kit for 45 ACP, with the new Quick trim by lee for 45-70, loading black powder brass 12 ga shells with the 1 1/4 RCBS Cowboy dies for the job etc.

mac60
06-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Opinions? I think it's the best value in a single stage reloading press on the market.

jmort
06-29-2013, 11:11 PM
"...best value in a single stage reloading press on the market."

Yes indeed

nhrifle
06-30-2013, 01:12 AM
I bought the LCC for use as a general loading press some years ago and it has never failed. After I bought my 50 BMG rifle I bought the dies and started reloading. Yes it requires more force, but I think brass prep has quite a bit to do with success. Clean the cases well, and scrub the inside of the necks to remove fouling, which can cause undue force to be used. Smear the cases with Lee's case lube (works better on these than any oil) outside and inside the necks. And don't be afraid to size in several "bites" rather than all in one stroke. Adjust the sizing die as normal then back out a few turns. Run a case up, back out a bit and lower the die some more. Continue until the case is fully sized. Don't forget to occasionally shout obscenities at the cases as they are being sized to intimidate them into submission.

Experiment with handle length and position, both of which can have a tremendous impact on how much leverage is exerted during the stroke.

The Classic Cast is an awesome press, fully capable of everything I have thrown at it and more, but it is not infallible. If something is not working or you have to genuinely force it, stop and rethink the whole setup or you will break it.

MT Chambers
06-30-2013, 02:55 AM
I'd go with a RCBS or Redding(ammo mag. or Ultra mag.)

HighHook
06-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Is a great press. Sizing the bmg is all about proper prep and case lube.

Recluse
06-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Bottom line is that Lee's quality control is hit or miss. Period. If you receive a Classic press (turret or single stage) while someone from QC was actually awake and on the job, then you've received probably the best buy there is in reloading equipment.

But if you get a Classic press (turret or single stage) in which nobody from QC was awake and actually monitoring the quality of output, you'll be disappointed.

I started adding Lee equipment to my bench back in 1987 and had no complaints with anything Lee until buying the two Classic presses--a Classic Turret and a Classic single stage. Both came out of the box in abysmal shape, both had to be sent back to Lee and the Classic Turret still does not function correctly in all calibers.

Bottom line is you pay $100 for a piece of equipment in which a comparable one from Redding or RCBS would cost you twice as much. I've seen both (other) companies have hiccups in their QC but the difference is they sent back out brand new dies or presses and never once claimed "user error."

So again, bottom line is that if you get a Lee product made while QC was awake and on the job, you'll get your money's worth.

:coffee:

r1kk1
06-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Bottom line is that Lee's quality control is hit or miss. Period.

They need to tighten up QC. I want to believe in the Classic Cast series but you comb the forums and there is QC issues. Shouldn't be that way. I have followed your plight Recluse. I have a different story buying direct from the factory years ago. The only press I kept is the hand press. The rest were sent back. End of story. Nothing on the CC would replace what I already own. I have handled the CC single and Turret. I did notice they use a different linkage material than days gone by on their other presses.

My experience with their custom services side is totally different than the production side. But alas, that is put on hold. I have quite a few custom items that I can endorse. I have not shopped production since the late 80s or early 90s.

Take care

r1kk1

markinalpine
06-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Don't forget to occasionally shout obscenities at the cases as they are being sized to intimidate them into submission.

Those are not obscenities. Those are the magic incantations to the spirits of reloading.
Mark [smilie=w:

dogrunner
06-30-2013, 02:10 PM
The press is great..........like folks say, best deal in the market............that said, Lee ought to stick their priming arrangements where the sun don't shine!

Salmon-boy
06-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Don't forget to occasionally shout obscenities at the cases as they are being sized to intimidate them into submission.

Those are not obscenities. Those are the magic incantations to the spirits of reloading.

I found the same to be true. 50 BMG takes a couple of bites, but then I realized it's the primers that are all but welded in.

As for the rest, I will agree, this is a good press with some limits. I just happen to be finding all of them!! I've already ordered replacement parts and hope to be back to depriming '50s soon.

bbqncigars
07-01-2013, 12:31 AM
For the fifty, Imperial Sizing Wax works best for me. Also used a 5/32" punch and hammer for the initial deprime. Best crimp remover I tried is the one from Wilson. Buy a couple of shaft collars for the primer ram to set the seating depth.

UNIQUEDOT
07-01-2013, 04:58 AM
I've bent the press handle sizing

I've had one of these since they were introduced and it cost $49.00 at that time. I've swaged plenty of bullets with it including lino which actually required the use of my weight to swage and I've never bent the handle... I'd say your handle was not properly hardened/tempered.

I wound up shattering the lever sleeve which anchors the handle in place..

Two things will cause this. First the handle must fully pass through the sleeve before tightening or it will break as instructed in the manual. Second would be a faulty part...take your pick.

Salmon-boy
07-01-2013, 06:21 AM
I'd say your handle was not properly hardened/tempered..

I'd have to agree with you since I originally bent it swaging .223 primer pockets. I certainly wasn't using my body-weight on those...

Smoke4320
07-01-2013, 08:23 AM
"For the fifty, Imperial Sizing Wax"
I will second that .. have probably processed well over 5000 50 BMG cases, tryed many lubes and Imperial works the best for me YMMV

Ed_Shot
07-01-2013, 04:28 PM
I love my Classic Cast. It's a great value.

Benjlan
07-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I love my lee classic cast and classic turret. I have a rl550b and a rock chucker but don't use them much. The rock chucker pukes primers everywhere and I'm too anal on my case prep to go full progressive with the 550. Thought I had to spend a lot of money to get the best equipment now it sets and collects dust while my 2 Lee workhorses go to town.