PDA

View Full Version : Problem with pin movement in a hollow point mold

rhadamanthos12
06-29-2013, 09:05 AM
I bought a miha mould in .359 125gr hollow point (4 cavity) from a group buy not too long ago, made sure to clean the mould up when I received it. First session casting with it was just terrible the pins didn't want to move making it difficult to drop bullets and then close the blocks. I figured I would clean the entire mould again and switch the pins to the other block, the pins are still difficult to move. Figured I would try the other pins that came with the mould (3 pin set, 2 penta pin sets and the standard hp set) all of them are difficult to move in either block. My other miha hp mould is a pleasure to cast with, the pins move with very little force from my thumb where as this one almost requires a wooden mallet to get them to move.

The second session yielded the same results as the first, this mould is turning into nightmare to cast with. My question is there anything I can do to get the pins to move freely?

I know I can always turn the pins over and cast solids put that defeats the reason I bought the mould.

outdoorfan
06-29-2013, 09:49 AM
I had the same issue (as do many) with some of his pins. Some of mine, not all, were so tight that I had to lightly turn them down with some sand paper. No big deal. It was a few minutes of work, and then the pins slid freely in and out of the mold. IMO, it's the one downside, if there is one, to an otherwise fantastic mold. I only have one non-Mihec mold.

rhadamanthos12
06-29-2013, 09:51 AM
I had the same issue (as do many) with some of his pins. Some of mine, not all, were so tight that I had to lightly turn them down with some sand paper. No big deal. It was a few minutes of work, and then the pins slid freely in and out of the mold. IMO, it's the one downside, if there is one, to an otherwise fantastic mold. I only have one non-Mihec mold.

thanks for the advice, I will give that a shot later tonight and hopefully that corrects the issue.

Mike Hughes
06-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I have 3 of mihecs molds and they all had the same problem. After some searching, here on the forum, I found that all you need to do is slightly loosen the pins (with the small Allen wrench). That should take care of it.

outdoorfan
06-29-2013, 10:37 AM
That sometimes works, but sometimes they are still too tight.

rhadamanthos12
06-29-2013, 10:45 AM
I tried loosening the pins and it is still incredibly tight, guess it take some sanding to fix it. Thanks for the suggestions though

MT Chambers
06-29-2013, 02:35 PM
I put a small amount of Bullplate on the pin parts that contact the mold, not the ends that form the HP.

silverjay
06-29-2013, 02:38 PM
I had to mix and match the pins to get the to slide free without sanding. Also backed easy one off half a turn from tight, but weather the pins as you cast. I had one back out and fall. After a few sessions I was able to tighten the pins and everything runs smooth.

outdoorfan
06-29-2013, 04:03 PM
I had to mix and match the pins to get the to slide free without sanding. Also backed easy one off half a turn from tight, but weather the pins as you cast. I had one back out and fall. After a few sessions I was able to tighten the pins and everything runs smooth.

Good remedy, when it works. With the last two Mihec molds I got I took all the individual pins off and tried each one in each hole. The end result was that there were only 2-3 of them that slid in and out somewhat freely. I couldn't even get the others to start in the hole.