PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a barrel lug

3jimbo3
06-29-2013, 08:08 AM
I have a Stephens model 77 pump 12 gauge. I am in the process of putting an extended magazine on it, and was wondering if anyone knew how the lug that attaches the mag to the barrel is attached? I find no evidence of it being welded but it is very sound. Also, would it need to be put back on or could I use an extension clamp (#100-003-182AE in the Brownells catalog). By using the clamp this would allow me to mount a flashlight or other accessory. I'm sure I could get the lug off without damaging the barrel, and it is going to be refinished when I'm done, so I'm not worried about that.
Thanks, Jim

elk hunter
06-29-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm not familiar with that particular shotgun, but would guess that the lug is silver soldered to the barrel. Under magnification you may be able to see a thin line where they join.

MBTcustom
06-29-2013, 05:36 PM
My guess as well. Stevens is want to do such things and it worked pretty well.

Pepe Ray
12-28-2013, 10:56 AM
That's a fine shot gun but it is very limited in hosting after market goodies. Unless your a skilled ;'smith, give up on removing the tube.
It gonna be time consuming IE. EXPENSIVE. Be happy w/5 round cap.
Pepe Ray

MtGun44
12-30-2013, 12:59 AM
Maybe soft solder.

Bill

Frank46
01-01-2014, 02:42 AM
Remington, used to silver braze their lugs on their barrels. Most likely they use an induction heating process as all the rem shotgun barrels lugs are very well attached to the barrels. Most likely to prevent heat distortion or warping of the barrel. Frank

Goatwhiskers
01-01-2014, 10:07 AM
I'll be the party pooper here. You'll be a lot happier to use a more modern shotgun for which conversion parts are available, such as a Remington. The main drawback to the gun you are starting with is that it uses a single action bar which is known for breaking at the notch that engages with the bolt plate. I have fixed many of them and these guns were not subjected to the abuse that a "tactical" gun might be. Heck of a note when the pump moves back and forth and the bolt doesn't. You might want to reconsider. GW