PDA

View Full Version : What luber sizer is best?

hotwheelz
09-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Im new to this forum so please excuse me if Im doing something wrong just point me in the right direction and Ill figure it out. I have been reloading and casting for about 5-6 years now and I love all of it.:castmine:

I have a lyman 450 and have been using it for about 2yrs and Im tired of the bottom o-ring blowing out and having to take it all apart clean it and reassemble.:mad:
I have looked at the rcbs, and the lyman 4500 and they both seem to have a solid bottom so i should have no problems with that oring but is there ant benefit to either? What about the lyman 45 I saw a couple on e-bay but I have never see one in person.

RayinNH
09-30-2007, 03:32 PM
hotwheelz, if your talking about the seal plug O-ring on the base, I've never blown one out . Sounds to me like your applying way too much pressure on the lube, or your using a lube that needs to be heated some to flow...Ray

P.S. welcome aboard

hotwheelz
09-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I am running a heater. When i first started that's what I thought to much pressure no it happens all the time not sure if maybe some thing wrong with the press I got at the gun show and I have been fighting it ever since. Im currently running some blue angle lube and after about 500+ rounds it starts to ooze out all around the bottom.

MT Gianni
09-30-2007, 03:50 PM
I had some leakage around mine and mounted it on a piece of rubber about 1/4" thick. It was an old conveyer type belt and it contained things inside the sizer. I also went to a lube that doesn't need heat. Gianni

montana_charlie
09-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Could you be running your lube too hot?

hotwheelz
09-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Im pretty sure I have it set right 110 degrees melting point and acording to my little meter im running about 95 degrees its nice and gooee but not to soft maybe I should try colder. I know when I have run it to hot a few times i have had problems. How much cooler should you run it then the melting point?

BigCheese
09-30-2007, 09:59 PM
The Star is by far the best. Only drawback is cost. I have been using the same Star for over 40 years. It is rugged and much faster than any of the others because the bullets go straight through. Each bullet is placed in the top of an open cylinder die and pushes out the previous bullet.

The Star is sold by Magma Engineering (magmaengineering.com). I added their adjustable heater to use hard lube and an air cylinder which is unnecessary but a convenient gadget so that you can lube a thousand bullets without having to crank the handle to maintain pressure on the lube.

As a wise man said, "bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". I suggest getting the Star if you can at all afford it. You will have it for the rest of your life. Since I mostly shoot .45 acp and other pistol bullets, I'm not sure how well the dies would handle very long rifle bullets such as those for .45-70. Perhaps others in the forum could advise you on this.

Best regards,
Big Cheese

Char-Gar
09-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Humm.... I have three Lyman 450's and have been using them for the past twenty years and have never blown an O ring. I guess I am doing something wrong.

Lloyd Smale
10-01-2007, 06:46 AM
back when i ran lymans i ran 3 of them and used to buy the o rings 10 at a time. I ended up having major problems with one and lyman replaced it with the solid bottom unit and it was a much better press.

Adam10mm
10-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm very happy with my RCBS Lube A Matic 2 (LAM2).

hotwheelz
10-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I sent an email to lyman telling them about my problem here is there responce.

"If the lube is coming out around the seal plug in the casting base, it would
need to be reseated into the casting. It was originally pressed in and then
peened into place. If it is pressed back in, it then should have the edges
peened with a center punch to help hold it in. A washer could also be
positioned against the seal plug when the press is bolted onto the table.
This would just act as a spacer as that pressure is applied up against the
seal plug which would keep it from backing out.
We do have replacement seal plugs available if needed also."

Well I guess Ill try thr washer idea for now :roll:

EMC45
10-04-2007, 07:44 AM
I recently bought the 4500 Lyman and am well pleased with it. It definitely takes a "rhythm" to run it successfully. When you get the lube pressure and load/unload speed down you are good to go!