PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful day today

Idaho Mule
06-28-2013, 11:49 PM
I had a great day today. Woke up at 0500, took my coffee and into the shower. Fed my fatties (butcher steers) and mules. Loaded my coffee cup for the ride into work, and pulled up my driveway at about 0610. About halfway up that strange 6th sense clicked and told me to pay attention so I went "heads up". Around the next corner was the cause of my hunter alert as I watched 2 bull elk in velvet cross just above my road. Dang guys, they were absolutely beautiful. The one in the lead had close to 36" of growth, looked like a good rack in the making. The second only had about 24" or so, but still an alright bull. Both had nice branches going so this could be a fun year. The bigger one I think I know, youngest son and I persued him not last fall, but the one before. I had to tell the kid to pull off because of too long a shot (450 yd) and low light, kid still holds it against me but I know it was the right thing to do. Oh, and Wed. afternoon on my way home from work I got mad at the traffic on the highway (there was over 4 cars) so I pulled off and took the backroads. What did I see but bullwinkle the moose, he had good clubs of about 18"+ and growing strong. I just love where I live. JW

06-29-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm jealous.

429421Cowboy
06-29-2013, 02:47 PM
I, like you do feel blessed to live out here! Enjoy your day in the sunshine of life, it is shaping up to be a beautiful summer after a slow spring. I am off to cut hay now and hopefully be blessed with a good day and no broken equipment.
Take care friend!
Brandon.

PS Paul
06-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Hey there, JW! that sounds pretty awesome indeed.

Frankly, I'm starting to get a little concerned for some of our members who live inland and in the SW. Any way for you to beat the heat over on that side of the mountains? My daughter is over near Quincy at the festival in George at the Gorge. She just texted and said she heard it's going to get over 100 today and 107 or so tomorrow? yikes.

Hang in there and stay cool, buddy!
PSP

Idaho Mule
06-29-2013, 06:40 PM
The weather man says hi 80's here today, and higher tomorrow. Like Cowboy I have hay to cut but am holding off due to over 3/4" rain Monday and tuesday, as well as a "bunch" of rain this am. at about 5 am. I do hope to start laying it down about noon tomorrow, we'll see what happens. Farming and ranching is always a **** shoot, nothing new, just deal with it. I have been constructive today though. Was shooting my Ruger #1 in 303 Brit, sighting in the new scope that onceabull gave to me down at NCBS back in May. The whole outfit is truly awsome right now as far as looks, I just got to get the boolits shooting a bit better. Scope is an old Weaver K1.5 with the post reticle, gonna get my elk with it this year. Ran out of boolits for the 303 so am now off to test the .356 Win. that was setting under that scope that onceabull gifted me with. By the way, thanks onceabull, I will most likely owe you some sausage. You may have to come visit to get it though. JW

Bzcraig
06-29-2013, 07:12 PM
You guys keep posting your 'good days' so those of us who are 'urban dwellers' can have some good days too!