PDA

View Full Version : First swaged bullets

Nickle
06-28-2013, 11:17 PM
So, finally enough got here to start making a few bullets.

I ordered from Corbin (Dave, at Corbins/Swage dies). Man, they're slower than death. But, the product is good.

Used a 224 S 6 die set in a CSP-1 press. I have the 224-R kit coming, but not here yet. Bid on a couple of deriming dies on eBay, got them, plus a 25 pound spool of .185" rolled lead from Roto Metals.

So, proceeded to try my hand at it earlier today.

51 grain flat base and rebated boat tail. Will have to adjust the core a little to fix the tip, but looks like these will work.

Cane_man
06-28-2013, 11:18 PM
looks good bro, now give us a shooting report!

aaronraad
06-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Well done Nickle!

What diameter ejection pin did you get supplied with the point form die, 0.080"?

Nickle
06-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Won't be shooting any for a bit, but will try soon. I've got a very limited supply of fired 22's at the moment, but I'll probably fix that one by shooting some. Probably use my AR to test them.

I'll have to measure that ejection pin, but I can say it's a standard size for them. The dies shipped fairly quick, so I imagine that had to make some up anyways, and they did mine while they were set up already.

kd185
07-01-2013, 08:30 AM
nice work, dont forget to tell us how they shot

JRPVT
07-04-2013, 01:24 AM
They look really good Nickle, no divots near the tips. Well done!

Nickle
07-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Well, it was just a matter of figuring out the die adjustment. Still tweaking a little, not making much, yet.

JRP, which town are you in? I'm in Bristol.

MrWolf
07-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Very nice - curious to see how they shoot.

MrWolf
07-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Very nice - curious to see how they shoot.

JRPVT
07-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Shrewsbury..up high and cool..hour or so from you

Nickle
07-04-2013, 03:27 PM
A little over an hour. I worked in Westminster for a while, used to drive 103 both ways every day.

I imagine you've heard of Farnsworth Ammo?

That was my father, I own the business now.

customcutter
07-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Looking good, still waiting for a range report.

Farnsworth Ammo, are you only selling? Or manufacturing and selling?

CC

Alex_4x4
07-04-2013, 05:31 PM
CSP-1 Very good tool. I make in .224 weight 57,7 gr.

On hundred meters fly so:

For beginning, I think, not bad.

Cane_man
07-04-2013, 05:58 PM
^^^ looks outstanding Alex

Alex_4x4
07-04-2013, 06:15 PM
I try. And it is those who helps me: [smilie=s:

And the products can be different, I make from 45 up to 80 gr.

75327 75328

Cane_man
07-04-2013, 06:43 PM
what the heck... is that a shop beaver you got there, LOL!

who made the dies, those look really nice... is that 6mm 80gr?

MrWolf
07-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Very impressive Alex

Nickle
07-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Looking good, still waiting for a range report.

Farnsworth Ammo, are you only selling? Or manufacturing and selling?

CC

I don't have a usable bunch made up yet, nor am I fully back in the game. Still got a cast on the right foot, but this one has a walking "boot" attached to it.

It was Farnsworth Ammo, but is now Green Mountain Ammo Co, and yes, manufacturing and selling soon. In the process of change over, and the end result should also be a Type 07 FFL (firearms and ammunition manufacturing). I won't be fully making firearms from scratch but will be doing extensive gunsmithing on existing actions/receivers. I've previous built a couple of IBS competition guns, and they were competitive.

mroliver77
07-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Nice bullets Alex. I did not know Russians and USA shared internet. I mean I have never seen anybody from Russia on the internet. I do not get out much either. :)

Oh and welcome brother shooter.
Jay

Alex_4x4
07-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Kind time of day!

I want at once to warn, that the English language I do not know, but I try to master.
Phrase " what the heck... " I shall remember, very useful words.... I have learned much on your forum and I feel, that I shall get many more useful knowledge. LOL!

I use by the program by the interpreter and if there will be mistakes, I ask to forgive.

In a photo of a bullet 80 gr. not 6 mm, and .224". It is bullets for 8" twist. And a photo is higher not beaver, and mine cat Charlie. It is my comrade.

I am sorry at Nickle, that has laid out the information to the theme, created by him. I am engaged swaging only 1,5 years and me, as to the beginner, it is interesting to communicate to the one who goes with me by a parallel rate.

Alex_4x4
07-05-2013, 02:20 AM
Oh and welcome brother shooter.
Jay

Thank on goods a word.

Your forum is widely known in narrow circles of the amateurs of shooting in Russia. In Russia the largest forum on shooting and close to a shooting theme is here: http://forum.guns.ru/

Nickle
07-05-2013, 02:50 AM
Alex, no apologies needed. I think your 80 grain bullets are quite good, that's what we strive for.

I should have some better ones soon, got about 2500 J4 jackets coming.

Alex_4x4
07-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Thank.

And J4 I buy here: http://reloadinginternational.com

Mike the very responsible seller and quickly makes out for me the export licenses.

Sometimes I buy J4 here: http://www.swagedies.com

At Dave J4 is cheaper.

For bullets 80 gr. are necessary J4 .930"

I like the cartridge .223 Rem. Reloading .223 Rem, for me, is obtained at the price of $ .30 per share.

I can afford 2000-2500 rounds per year.

Nickle
07-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Dave Corbin is out of them, or at least was. That would be Corbins.com or swagedies.com. He is slower than death shipping, even when he has an item in stock, but I've learned to be patient when it comes to bullet swaging equipment and supplies.

I got mine from Bruno Shooter's Supply, and they were fairly quick getting it out the door. They sell a fair amount of benchrest related items, ans are well known within that group. http://www.brunoshooters.com I've 2600 224 jackets on the way right now, that's a start.

Alex, thanks for the tip on Reloading International. Their prices are a touch better than Bruno's. Neither one is remotely close to me, so shipping will still take a while.

Alex_4x4
07-05-2013, 04:07 PM
thanks for the tip on Reloading International.

On health.

About http://www.brunoshooters.tsom I know. But Amy Bruno refused to send J4 in Russia. They are not interested to make out an export license. And so, I sometimes use by services of this Internet - shop.

About Dave's right. But solid man and should be unhurried. :lol:

If it is interesting, pair of the useful references (suddenly they still are not known for you):

http://www.bullettipping.com/products_bullettippingdie.html

http://precisionballisticsllc.com/

Don Lahr is really cool.

Nickle
07-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I've got a Whidden bullet tipping die and associated parts. Seems to work nice. I bought a meplat trimmer too.

I agree that Dave is as good as it gets. I consider the slowness as part of the "price of doing business", or in other words, that's what you give up to get a superior product. Myself, I accept the slowness, and still buy from him. I've found his products superior to most. That said, if I do need it right off, I tend to look elsewhere, if the faster item will do the job.

Recently, 224 jackets weren't in stock with Dave, but were at Bruno's. Sad to hear they wouldn't export them, though.

Alex_4x4
07-05-2013, 06:37 PM
I am not in a hurry anywhere. I have stock J4 for itself on couple of years.
To fill up a stock J4 for me now not a problem.

Cane_man
07-05-2013, 08:08 PM
alex, just curious what laws you have in Russia about personal ownership of firearms?

Nickle
07-05-2013, 09:55 PM
I am not in a hurry anywhere. I have stock J4 for itself on couple of years.
To fill up a stock J4 for me now not a problem.

Yeah, I just started swaging myself, so it was start from scratch.

And, I manufacture ammo, but on a small scale with the same equipment used for reloading. Our specialty is odd, obsolete and hard to find ammo.

Alex_4x4
07-06-2013, 01:57 AM
alex, just curious what laws you have in Russia about personal ownership of firearms?

So a question... From the category of "childrens".

As I shall not answer to you is will be not absolutely exact.

For the complete answer it is necessary to explain, how the life in Russia is arranged. Excuse, but you some things will not understand, much that I shall tell will not believe.

Therefore I shall answer formally:

1. The weapon with a short barrel (is less than 50 centimeters and length of the weapon in working order there are less than 80 centimeters) for the citizens it is forbidden;
2. The automatic weapon for the citizens is forbidden;
3. The weapon consisting on arms of army for the citizens is forbidden;
4. The weapon " with a smooth barrel " (shotgun) is authorized to the full age citizens for a hunt and.... The self-defenses (but are better with this purpose the weapon for not using);
5. The weapon with a rifled barrel (rifle) is authorized to the full age citizens after five years of possession of the weapon " with a smooth barrel " (shotgun).

It I told about the federal legislation about the legal weapon for the citizens. About specific enclaves, such as Chechnya, I shall not speak. There, really, " its laws ".

Now, how it is possible to lose the right on the weapon. Under the law for this purpose there are enough of two administrative offences during one year (for example of infringements of rules of a hunt). The weapon will be confiscated ... Though can enable to sell.

The owners of the legal weapon in Russia are very legislative. (In this place it is possible sadly to smile.)

The analogue of your second amendment to the constitution in Russia is not present... And at my life will not be.

Alex_4x4
07-06-2013, 02:04 AM
Our specialty is odd, obsolete and hard to find ammo.

It is possible more in detail? For example about what speech?

clodhopper
07-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Alex 4x4, very intresting to hear from a citizen of your country. Most info we get in USA has been through so many filters that all information of Russia is subject to distrust.
Nickle, hope you do not mind total hijack of thread, and just in case you are wondering, I also am involved in the appleseed project.

Alex_4x4
07-06-2013, 10:22 AM
2 clodhopper

Probably everywhere. If you have any questions - please ask. I, for the next few years, a lot of free time on the answers. I am hired worker. Every day I work nine o'clock, the rest of my time. Plus rest days: Saturday and Sunday.

Nickle
07-07-2013, 01:32 AM
It is possible more in detail? For example about what speech?

I manufacture over 200 different calibers of ammunition for sporting firearms.

Alex 4x4, very intresting to hear from a citizen of your country. Most info we get in USA has been through so many filters that all information of Russia is subject to distrust.
Nickle, hope you do not mind total hijack of thread, and just in case you are wondering, I also am involved in the appleseed project.

I kind if figured that out, and we both do know of each other, all good. No harm, no foul, and this is interesting anyways.

Alex_4x4
07-07-2013, 02:26 AM
I manufacture over 200 different calibers of ammunition for sporting firearms.

Beautiful business. .223 Rem and .243 Win in your line of ammunition is? If there is, how to look and how to fly?

Zymurgy50
07-07-2013, 08:30 AM
That is a cat? Holy cow, what do you feed it? Unwanted neighborhood children?

Alex_4x4
07-07-2013, 11:45 AM
That is a cat? Holy cow, what do you feed it? Unwanted neighborhood children?

It is a cat, his name is Charlie. His food is two hundred grams of beef per day (one hundred grams in the morning and in the evening one hundred grams). This cat came to my kitten February 19, 2009 from the basement of an apartment building where I live. Grew, grew and grew ... in the "beaver."

This is what ... we have here a man walked through the market with a bear .... He was searching for a man who six months ago, him sold a hamster.

Alex_4x4
07-07-2013, 11:53 AM
2 Nickle.

Thank you for your hospitality, I created a theme http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?205824-From-Russia-with-swaging-bullets and "moving" there.

JRPVT
07-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Nickle,
pm sent, JRPVT

Nickle
07-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Beautiful business. .223 Rem and .243 Win in your line of ammunition is? If there is, how to look and how to fly?

They are. Plus, Cheryl and I also own rifles in these calibers.

Sadly, I'm not exporting, at the moment, but that is very subject to possible change.

And, you're welcome, my friend. I'm glad to be able to call you friend, too.

Alex_4x4
07-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm glad to be able to call you friend, too.

Thank you.

I used to buy bullets in the Internet shops, but a couple of years ago in Russia imposed a ban on international postage with bullets and casings.

I would be interested to learn about the achievements of those who swaging .224 " and 6 mm bullets.

R.Ph. 380
07-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Alex, are you able to buy dies and molds on the internet? That sounds like a business opportunity for you.

Bill

Alex_4x4
07-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Alex, are you able to buy dies and molds on the internet? Bill

Yes, I buy a product from Dave Corbin. Pay by card Visa. Those of my colleagues who want to, too, can do so. There is no problem. For the purchase of equipment for Reloading and swaging in the USA. do not need to issue an export license. In J4 need.

At first I bought for myself HARDWARE Reloading in internet-shops of the USA. And then, when Russia imposed a ban on international postage with bullets and casings remembered swaging.

I do not like to trade. A few years ago, when I was unemployed, I bought in internet-shops of the USA Reloading equipment and selling it in Russia to those of my colleagues who have problems with the English language was even more than me, or those who live far away from the European part of Russia. The European part of Russia is to the Urals. I have been the recipients of orders to which the mailings reached in three to four months.

My experience with the trade was a necessary measure to support himself and Charlie. My wife and daughter are financially self-sufficient and did not need my help then. I was lucky.:lol:

And now I feel sorry for trade waste time.

gunoil
07-09-2013, 03:22 PM
how about pics of equipment or video. This is great , i dont even shoot rifle.

Alex_4x4
07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?205824-From-Russia-with-swaging-bullets

Post #7

I now have my supplies ready-made bullets. I did not plan to in the next week to make new bullets, but if you're interested, I can show them how I'm doing.
Optional: FMJ about 45 gr. (reduced from .22 lr cartridges); HP'-FL or HP'-RBT about 57 gr. (from J4 .705")?

And here you can see what I offer at the Russian forum:

http://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/153/940687.html

kweidner
07-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Very nice stuff alex. I looked at your forum in Russia. 12.23 dollars per hundred is very reasonable around here these days. I wish you luck. Prices like that would be welcome around here. I too swage and cast exclusivley now for my weapons. I shouls have my ffl any day now.

Добро пожаловать на форум

Alex_4x4
07-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Very nice stuff alex. I looked at your forum in Russia. 12.23 dollars per hundred is very reasonable around here these days. I wish you luck. Prices like that would be welcome around here. I too swage and cast exclusivley now for my weapons. I shouls have my ffl any day now.

Добро пожаловать на форум

Thank you. Gradually tell you what I know. Listen carefully to the evaluation, comments and suggestions. Subject swaging a very interesting topic