PDA

View Full Version : Century Arms Pietta .45 SAA Clone

Treetop
06-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Ever since I read about them in the latest American Rifleman, I've had an almost uncontrollable itch that can only be scratched by one of these Pietta SAA clones in .45 Colt.

I have searched everywhere that I know of on line and I can't seem to locate one. The first place I searched was the Century Arms International website but it was confusing to me and I left it with the impression that you must be an FFL dealer to enter their products web page.

1) Can someone help me locate one of these revolvers?

2) Do any of you have any experience with this particular Pietta SAA clone?

The American Rifleman write up was pretty positive for such an inexpensive revolver... Tt.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/century-arms-1873-single-action-revolver-review/

opos
06-28-2013, 07:38 PM
I have a Pietta Millenium with the brass frame...45Colt and it's a great shooter. I have a number of Rugers in 45 Colt and they are different critters but shooting the Pietta is a kick...remember it's a SAA clone so is not a high pressure revolver..I shoot the lighter loads in it and it's very accurate and comfortable to shoot...It sort of begs for me to wear my big hat and my drop down rig. One thing is that the cylinders in most of my Rugers have shown to be just a tad tight...some have been reamed to rectify that issue while the cylinders throats on the Pietta are a bit generous...no issue but a little more open...The base pin on the Pietta is one that has a flat notch for locking in place and it actually has 2 of them...it took me a bit of tinkering and figuring things out to keep from installing it wrong...once I saw what they had done it was no issue. I've probably put 500 rounds through mine and it's tight as can be and still never misses a beat. Sorry about not knowing where to get one..I bought mine used for $275 off a gun board in my area.

Treetop
06-28-2013, 08:37 PM
I have a Pietta Millenium with the brass frame...45Colt and it's a great shooter. I have a number of Rugers in 45 Colt and they are different critters but shooting the Pietta is a kick...remember it's a SAA clone so is not a high pressure revolver..I shoot the lighter loads in it and it's very accurate and comfortable to shoot...It sort of begs for me to wear my big hat and my drop down rig. One thing is that the cylinders in most of my Rugers have shown to be just a tad tight...some have been reamed to rectify that issue while the cylinders throats on the Pietta are a bit generous...no issue but a little more open...The base pin on the Pietta is one that has a flat notch for locking in place and it actually has 2 of them...it took me a bit of tinkering and figuring things out to keep from installing it wrong...once I saw what they had done it was no issue. I've probably put 500 rounds through mine and it's tight as can be and still never misses a beat. Sorry about not knowing where to get one..I bought mine used for $275 off a gun board in my area.

opos, thanks for taking the time to reply. Just the type of information I'm seeking. Even though you have now made my "itch" even worse! :grin:

I have an old model Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP. It is one of my favorite shooters but I seldom, if ever, load it "hot" anymore. The cylindersmith had to ream both of my cylinder throats on this revolver, and it made a huge difference in accuracy. A 255 gr. Keith with enough Unique or Blue Dot to get 800+ fps is all I'm interested in.

Can you tell me about that nice looking fixed blade knife in the picture? Like you, I have a weakness for single action revolvers and fixed blade knives! Thanks again for your reply and picture. Tt.

opos
06-28-2013, 09:02 PM
The knife, the holster and the hat were on the picture with the ad when I bought the gun so I have no info on those at all...sorry. I have a bit of arthritis (more than a bit) and I load 200 grain "Cowboy #4" Lead round nose flat point bullets from Missouri..I load with Trail Boss in a moderate load and it shoots really gentle, is really accurate and no leading of any kind. I don't have a Chrony but I have a feeling from comparison with what someting like the Winchester 255 grain silver tip (which I've shot in the Pietta a time or two) that my loads are puttering along at about 750 or so..the Winchester runs at about 850 as I recall and there is a definite difference in "feel" between it and my home brew with Trail Boss...but it feels really right in the Pietta and I'd have no issues shooting it all the time if it was affordable.. Hope you can find one...I'd think Century would have a list of dealers that they do business through if you can't deal direct with them....good luck...enclosed another pic that shows the "dull" finish...it's really durable and I like it but sure not like the wonderful old bluing my OMSB has...the brass is nice and durable...I don' t polish it and the grips are a great size for my hand and are not "delicate"...it's just a great old style (load 5) hog leg.

Michael J. Spangler
06-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Just read the same article and now I want one of these too.

Tagged for updates

Beagle333
06-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Traditions imports Pietta's too. Search for "1873" to find SAA revolvers.
They make a nice blued version too, as well as the matte.
Bud's carries some pretty ones.:D
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/160/products_id/88915/Traditions+SAT73002+1873+Single+Action+Revolver+Fr ontier+45+/

Here's a fella shooting one, loaded with BP cowboy loads. Don't watch it if you don't want one. It's sure got me jones'in for one!!!!:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vox0S7ljUcQ

35 Whelen
06-29-2013, 08:12 AM
I logged into my account on CIA and found the pistols. Here's their description:

Beautiful reproductions of the famous Model 1873 Single Action revolver! All of these six-shooters are made from top quality steel and feature walnut grips. Choose from the standard model with color case hardened steel frame or the black matte finish Millennium series. Both models are available in 4.75" and 5.5" barrels and your choice of caliber .357 Mag. or .45 LC. 6 rd. shot. Barrel: 4.75" - 5.5", Overall: 10.5" - 11.25". Condition: New.

They're listed as "Coming Soon" and dealer price is....you better sit down....$249.87 for the matte model, $269.87 for color case hardened!

The flesh is weak....

35W

joec
06-29-2013, 08:53 AM
I have 3 Cimarron/Uberti SAA in 45 Colt but Cimarron also uses Pietta for some of the time. It really is what is available it seems when they buy then rework the gun a bit for their line.

Treetop
06-29-2013, 04:30 PM
I logged into my account on CIA and found the pistols. Here's their description:

Beautiful reproductions of the famous Model 1873 Single Action revolver! All of these six-shooters are made from top quality steel and feature walnut grips. Choose from the standard model with color case hardened steel frame or the black matte finish Millennium series. Both models are available in 4.75" and 5.5" barrels and your choice of caliber .357 Mag. or .45 LC. 6 rd. shot. Barrel: 4.75" - 5.5", Overall: 10.5" - 11.25". Condition: New.

They're listed as "Coming Soon" and dealer price is....you better sit down....$249.87 for the matte model, $269.87 for color case hardened!

The flesh is weak....

35W

Thanks for taking the time to log in to the Century Arms website for me, 35 Whelen. My FFL dealer is a personal friend (his CAI password had expired, he sent them an email to update it yesterday) and refuses to charge me retail price, so I will probably wind up with two of them, at those prices. A matte finish in 5 1/2" barrel for a truck gun, and a blued one in 4 3/4", just to drool on! :grin: Tt.

Treetop
06-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Traditions imports Pietta's too. Search for "1873" to find SAA revolvers.
They make a nice blued version too, as well as the matte.
Bud's carries some pretty ones.:D
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/160/products_id/88915/Traditions+SAT73002+1873+Single+Action+Revolver+Fr ontier+45+/

Here's a fella shooting one, loaded with BP cowboy loads. Don't watch it if you don't want one. It's sure got me jones'in for one!!!!:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vox0S7ljUcQ

Beagle 333, thanks for the link to the Traditions website and the YouTube video, you were right, that video only exacerbated my itch!

I think I'm going to wait on the CAI Milleniums, though, for a couple of reasons. The Traditions price is a little more than I want to pay for an "expendable" handgun (it will "live" in my truck 24/7) and it has the transfer bar that allows you to safely carry 6 rounds. As strictly a matter of personal preference, I prefer the old style. After 50 years of shooting single actions, it's my habit to "load one, skip one and load four".

I've only needed more than 5 rounds once in all of these years. I was carrying my Ruger old model .357 BH when I slipped up on a tree full of fox squirrels. I was carrying 120 grain 358242s with a pinch of Bullseye in .38 Special cases, IIRC, and was able to eventually kill all of the squirrels. I can't remember how many I killed out of that big old live oak, but I didn't miss any and I remember having to reload once. After each shot, the squirrels all scrambled into a hole for a few minutes before they forgot about me and came back out, so I had plenty of time to reload.

old and wise
06-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Hello Beagle333:
Am new to this cast thing. just got a mould from Lee for 45 cal. .450 maxiballs.
am from b'ham so glad Bama shooter are in castboolits.

lonewelder
06-29-2013, 07:24 PM
I think its made by uberti.I have had one for a good while,paid 229 new if that tells you anything.Shoots really well.I found a 45acp cylinder in a pawn shop a few years ago.Owner did not know what it fit.Well it looked like a colt pattern and for 15 bucks it came home.Believe it or not it works perfect in the uberti.No timing problems no heavy drag lines,I mean perfect.Now I know that will never happen again.I'm just saying I think mine (somewhat older) is a pretty good copy of a colt.The only thing I don't like is the front site.Its too thin, like a knife blade.
I don't know what they are going for now but if they are close in price to a cimarron I'd go that route.I only have one but it is tighter and hand fit much better,right here in Fredricksburg ,TX.Hope you find one.Single actions are like pockets you can't have too many!

Beagle333
06-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Okay..... where and when and how does I get one!!!!! :D

(and hello to you too, Old and Wise.)

robertbank
06-30-2013, 11:10 AM
I have a Beretta Stampede in 45Colt and a El Patron by Uberti in .357mag. Both guns are excellent although I prefer the El Patron because of it's wider notch used for a rear sight. Makes for easier shooting with old eyes. Love both guns. Fit and finish is excellent. Unlike the Rugers you don't have to rebuild them into shooters. My GP -100 had .356 and 357 cylinder throats and had to be reamed along with a barrel restriction thay caused no end to leading. I want to get another El Patron in .45Colt though. The Italian guns are real value and don't give anything away to guns made by Colt other than the name stamp.

Tale Care

Bob

Treetop
06-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Okay..... where and when and how does I get one!!!!! :D

(and hello to you too, Old and Wise.)

Beagle333, My FFL dealer sent CAI an email Friday to re-instate his password. He just sent me an email saying that if he doesn't hear from them by Monday afternoon, he will call them, I replied back and asked him to find out:

1) when they will be available, and

2) if they will accept pre-orders.

I'll post the answers when he finds out something. I sure wish the Rifleman had waited until they are available before doing an article on them! Tt.

Michael J. Spangler
06-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Oh no. Don't know if i'll be able to resist one of these. Though I'm sure the prices will be sky high like everything else that hits MA soil

wrench man
06-30-2013, 10:45 PM
The one I bought came in an Uberti box, I got it at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Salem Or., they had at least one hanging on the wall last Friday when I was there.
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/ramblerinternational/guns/colt003.jpg (http://s754.photobucket.com/user/ramblerinternational/media/guns/colt003.jpg.html)

The knife in question above looks like a BUCK "Kalinga" to me?, this ones mine, had it for 25 years now.
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/ramblerinternational/guns/knife002_zpsbf605db6.jpg (http://s754.photobucket.com/user/ramblerinternational/media/guns/knife002_zpsbf605db6.jpg.html)

Treetop
07-01-2013, 06:23 PM
wrench man, that sure looks like the Pietta, strange that it came in a Uberti box... What caliber is yours and have you shot it yet? Would love to hear a range report from you, when possible.

I agree, that knife sure looks like your Kalinga. Beautiful knife! Tt.

wrench man
07-02-2013, 12:45 AM
wrench man, that sure looks like the Pietta, strange that it came in a Uberti box... What caliber is yours and have you shot it yet? Would love to hear a range report from you, when possible.

I agree, that knife sure looks like your Kalinga. Beautiful knife! Tt.

It's a 45 Colt, we got it to replace the Taurus Gaucho that we picked up a few years back, the Taurus was and to this day is the biggest ***!!! I've ever shot!, it (THEY!, numerous reports) is the poster child for light strikes! it got to the point she wouldn't even shoot it!?
The 1873 is a FINE! revolver, she's run a whole box of Oregon Trail 200grn rnfp's down the tube, she picked it out because it has the "pretty" case color on the frame she doesn't seem to have trouble rolling pop cans at up to about 20yrds!, it's a SHOOTER!

It's the "1873 CATTLEMAN BRASS NM" here on the A Uberti sight.
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/single-action-cattleman.php

She want's to get the "1873 FRISCO NM", she calls it "the pimp gun":roll:

Treetop
07-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Well, I have found some new information re: the CAI Pietta revolvers...

WARNING! Don't read any further, if you are a SAA clone fanatic.

The new revolvers will be here sometime "this summer" and they will include a .44-40 caliber and a .22/.22 mag caliber. They will also be available in all three of the original SAA barrel lengths! The Rifleman article didn't mention the 7 1/2" barrel length, but I'm glad that length will be available now.

http://www.centuryarms.com/visualnet/Consumer/Current_Consumer_Catalog.pdf

Page down to page 9, then scroll down the page until you reach the Piettas. Tt.

P.S. Wouldn't a Pietta SAA clone in .44 S&W Special be nice?

Beagle333
07-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Pietta 1873 single action revolvers, cal. .45 LC & .357 mag.
Beautiful reproductions of the famous Model 1873 Single Action revolver! All
of these six-shooters are made from top quality steel and feature walnut grips.
Choose from the standard model with color case hardened steel frame or the
black matte finish Millennium series. Both models are available in 4.75" and
5.5" barrels and your choice of caliber .357 Mag. or .45 LC. 6 rd. shot.
• Barrel: 4.75" - 5.5" • Overall: 10.5" - 11.25" • Weight: 2.2 -2.55 lbs.

Me want! I'm already thinking about what I can sell......... :popcorn:

1bluehorse
07-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Unless something has changed since 96', Pietta makes their own 1873 clones....in their factory...if memory serves (?) it's F.F.I. Pietta, and they were known here years ago for their black powder guns...bought a pair of consecutive numbered 45's in 96 for 550.00 shipped..they seemed to be good guns but at the time I didn't have the knowledge for cast bullet shooting I have learned since so never checked the vital measurements but they did look good and after an aftermarket set of springs were a hoot to shoot (250gr. cast, 8.5gr Unique)...as an aside, these were nicely done blued guns, as the Millenium models weren't offered at that time..if I weren't into Ruger 45 colts I'd take a look at them again...

Jon
07-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks alot. Now I want one. :shock:

Beagle333
07-17-2013, 10:59 AM
"Sometime this summer" is here! They are now available. :bigsmyl2:

Treetop
07-17-2013, 06:18 PM
"Sometime this summer" is here! They are now available. :bigsmyl2:

How did you find out, Beagle 333?

Woo Hoo! I'm buying two to begin with. A 5 1/2" matte finish for my "truck gun" to replace my more expensive .45 ACP XD(m), and a 4 3/4" case hardened one, just to carry and shoot occasionally! Both in .45 Colt, of course. Tt.

Beagle333
07-17-2013, 06:25 PM
I know a gunsmith who is also a dealer and he looked it up on his dealer website, and he says it is available now. [smilie=w:

I'm going .45LC too.:drinks:

Treetop
07-17-2013, 08:57 PM
I know a gunsmith who is also a dealer and he looked it up on his dealer website, and he says it is available now. [smilie=w:

I'm going .45LC too.:drinks:

Have you decided on a barrel length and finish yet?

Wouldn't you know it? My FFL dealer just went on vacation, not sure when he will return:| Tt.

Beagle333
07-17-2013, 09:32 PM
5.5" case hardened. I like em shiny. :smile:
And maybe it will fit either my BH (5.5") or GP100 (6") holster. I like the 5.5-6" lengths.

Michael J. Spangler
07-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Does anyone know a retail price yet?
I told myself my next gun would be a lever 357 but these are sexy.

Beagle333
07-17-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't. But 35Whelen was right about the dealer cost. I guess your cost will depend on which dealer you use.
:lovebooli

Michael J. Spangler
07-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Wow that's awesome!!!

Beagle333
07-19-2013, 09:15 AM
UPDATE! Sadly, I have been informed by my dealer that the Pietta's are not in stock yet. According to him, when he called to place the order, the person who answered the phone told him that the website was misleading and said they will get them sometime in August, but could not say when and would not confirm a price. I will not make the mistake of repeating information about availability until I can post a picture of me actually holding one! :oops::oops::oops: 'Sorry. You may tar and feather me now.

Jupiter7
07-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I saw a few on gunbroker. Also some pietta made but sold under brand name traditions. Looks to be same exact pistol.

Treetop
07-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Beagle 333:

No problem, we've all "jumped the gun" before and had to come back to renege! I wonder if CAI will notify it's dealers when the Piettas are available in August or do the dealers just have to keep calling back?

Jupiter7:

The Traditions brand revolvers that I've looked at, all have the transfer bar hammer block, similar to the New Model Rugers. If that doesn't put you off, then the Traditions may be the way to go for you. I was raised on original single actions, so it's just automatic for me to "load one, skip one, load four, then let the hammer down on the empty chamber" when loading my single actions. Plus, I prefer the trigger of the older styles compared to the newer ones, so personally I prefer to wait on the Piettas that don't have the transfer bar. Tt.

Beagle333
07-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Yep. I was saying what I had been told, instead of what I saw and heard myself. So that is just askin' for trouble. He did tell me that he was told he would be put on the list for two of them as soon as they were available, and CAI is supposed to call when they arrive. But once again.... I didn't talk the the rep myself. :|
I'll just post a picture when I get mine and then we'll all know 100%! :bigsmyl2:

Treetop
07-24-2013, 06:58 PM
My FFL dealer called CAI today and talked to a lady who seemed to be very familiar with the Piettas.

She told him that CAI imported a few last January or February and they went like hotcakes. I'm guessing that CAI was "testing the waters". Evidently, the dealer cost that 35 Whelen quoted was for those. She couldn't say what the dealer price for the August delivery Piettas would be. Probably somewhat higher, IMO!

They are accepting pre orders. She said the phone has been ringing almost constantly since the American Rifleman article appeared. My FFL dealer pre-ordered two for me. One 5 1/2" matte finish and one 4 3/4" blue/case hardened, both in .45 Colt.

All she could say about delivery is "sometime soon"...

BCRider
07-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Just to feed that monkey on your backs a little more I thought I'd mention that my own two Pietta SAA revolvers have been shooting most excellently, accurately and have great triggers for the last 4 years..... :D

My own feeling is that the shiney colour case models are worth the extra money. But clearly some folks like the matt finish or they wouldn't be selling so many of them.

For those of you that can't wait the Uberti guns are also VERY nice.

What I really appreciate is that both these Italian Stallions are the original Colt 4 click action and not some mamby pamby new fangled "safe" silliness. They are the guns I shoot when I want to experience exactly the same things that they did some 150 years ago.

robertbank
07-26-2013, 12:49 AM
BC Rider been shooting my El Patron for the last two months. I Ca`t tell you how nice the gun is. I just picked up a New Model Blackhawk 45Colt Conversion Stainless so my 2nd El Patron is on hold. It is a quality substitute for the Piettas.

Take Care

Bob

Michael J. Spangler
08-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Any updates?

Treetop
08-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Michael, I check CAI's online catalog every couple of days. It still says "Coming This Summer"... I'm thinking "You better hurry because you're running out of summer!"

It's a good thing that half the fun of getting a new firearm or new boolit mold is the anticipation! Tt.

Michael J. Spangler
08-12-2013, 08:28 PM
That's the truth!
Thanks!

Beagle333
08-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Well.... I have collected a couple of molds, a sizer, some brass, 2 kinds of powder, some primers, a holster..... all that's left is to collect an actual .45!!
There ain't much left to anticipate!
Somebody throw a couple of them thangs on a boat an ship 'em over here already!!!
[smilie=6:

WD7J
09-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Update on the Century SAA clones:

They are now all transfer bar and are $100 higher than the prices given earlier.

I got thru on the phone (rare) and they actually talked to me without being a dealer (extremely rare).

He said the part numbers are changed and they are all transfer bar ignition. For example, I had my dealer order a HG3186-N but it disappeared from the web site and was replaced with HG3186TB-N. The TB means transfer bar and it is "like a Ruger" according to the guy at Century. I pointed out that they really shouldn't be referencing the American Rifleman article since they are totally different guns. He agreed but said he wasn't the one responsible for the website and catalog.

I canceled my order with my dealer as I want an original style clone, not a transfer bar, weird trigger pull, weird looking hammer, not original, SAA.

So beware - if you order one of these guns, it will be transfer bar ignition.

Just sayin'

- Charlie

P.S. The Traditions 2013 SAA Pietta clones are also transfer bar - see the youtube video.

Michael J. Spangler
09-05-2013, 07:53 AM
oh no!

so where do we go for an original non TB SAA clone?

robertbank
09-05-2013, 09:26 AM
oh no!

so where do we go for an original non TB SAA clone?

Uberti

Bob

Michael J. Spangler
09-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know who else they private label for?
I know sometimes you can pick up a private label for short money.

I think I need one in 45 colt almost as bad as I need a 357 lever gun.

Treetop
09-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Update on the Century SAA clones:

They are now all transfer bar and are $100 higher than the prices given earlier.

I got thru on the phone (rare) and they actually talked to me without being a dealer (extremely rare).

He said the part numbers are changed and they are all transfer bar ignition. For example, I had my dealer order a HG3186-N but it disappeared from the web site and was replaced with HG3186TB-N. The TB means transfer bar and it is "like a Ruger" according to the guy at Century. I pointed out that they really shouldn't be referencing the American Rifleman article since they are totally different guns. He agreed but said he wasn't the one responsible for the website and catalog.

I canceled my order with my dealer as I want an original style clone, not a transfer bar, weird trigger pull, weird looking hammer, not original, SAA.

So beware - if you order one of these guns, it will be transfer bar ignition.

Just sayin'

- Charlie

P.S. The Traditions 2013 SAA Pietta clones are also transfer bar - see the youtube video.

I couldn't be more disappointed by this news, Charlie! The transfer bar is an absolute deal killer for me. Why would the American Rifleman, CAI, and Pietta conspire to publish an article that misrepresented almost every fact about the sixgun, it's features, it's price and it's availability? I've waited all summer for these revolvers to be made available to us, only to find that they are not anything like the revolver in the article last spring. Tt.

WD7J
09-26-2013, 03:30 PM
OK, I contacted Pietta in Italy directly and got the scoop.

There are two other sources that have basically the same gun. The only differences are barrel marking as far as we can tell.

First is the Cimarron Frontier. It is identical except for fairly large lettering on the left side of the barrel that says "FRONTIER" and the caliber. It is also marked Cimarron somewhere but I can't get a clear answer on exactly where, except everyone says it's small and unobtrusive - one guy said it was underneath the barrel but I can't confirm. Apparently it's a legal requirement to have the name of the importer (Cimarron) and the name of the model (Frontier) engraved on the gun. I only mention Cimarron first because they are widely available.

But perhaps the better choice is the other option, which is EMF (www.emf-company.com). The reason being that the left side of the barrel is marked with "Single Action Army" and the caliber. The marking is smaller than Cimarron's and looks great. The model is the "1873 Great Western II Californian". It is also marked Great Western on the top of the barrel - I have requested a pic of the top of the barrel showing the marking but have not received it yet. I am told that marking is also unobtrusive but I would like to see the pics before deciding for myself. EMF sells through dealers (mostly CAS) and also directly on the website, but the prices on the website are full list price. The EMF guns are harder to find but probably worth the effort.

Thanks to Pietta Italy, Cimarron dealer service, and EMF for all the great info.

- Charlie

Beagle333
09-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Thank you for that follow-up Charlie! :bigsmyl2:

Bob in Revelstoke
09-26-2013, 07:16 PM
If you want to look at pictures of Pietta single actions go to WWW.marstar.ca.

I have two, a 44.40 with 7 inch barrel and a 45 l.c. with a 5 1/2 barrel. The firing pin is fixed to the hammer, not a transfer bar. I do find the handle to be a little short, another quarter of an inch or so would have been better. Lots of fun to shoot especially, black powder on a misty day.

The double notch on the cylinder pin acts as a safety. When the locking pin is put through the second notch, the end of the pin protrudes into the hammer slot preventing the firing pin from resting on a live cartridge.

These are just for looking at. U.S. Federal regulations state firearms must be shipped by air and with all the crapolla involved starts at $300.

robertbank
09-26-2013, 07:41 PM
How do the Pietta revolvers compare with the Uberti line? I am looking at the 5 1/2" .357 Pietta to sit with my El Patron Uberti. The price difference amounts to $200+ . The $200 would go towards a Longmire hat I got my eyes on. Got to join SASS later this week.

Take Care

Bob

Bob in Revelstoke
09-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Robertbank: I didn't find there was a great difference between the two. The colour case hardening on the Pietta looked much better than the finish on the Uberti, but maybe that is just me.

WD7J
09-27-2013, 09:16 AM
How do the Pietta revolvers compare with the Uberti line? I am looking at the 5 1/2" .357 Pietta to sit with my El Patron Uberti. The price difference amounts to $200+ .
Bob

Standard Pietta vs. standard Uberti: Difference is color case hardening (Pietta much, much better) and the finish of sharp edges - Uberti has smoothed edges and Pietta has sharper edges. Many people get a Pietta just so they have an example of good color case hardening. People used to send Uberti's to Turnbull to get a decent color case hardening job, now they simply buy a stock Pietta.

The three Pietta's mentioned earlier - Century (2012 model w/o transfer bar), Cimarron Frontier, and EMF Californian, are more period correct than Uberti.

Standard Pietta vs. Uberti El Patron: No comparison - the El Patron is a factory custom gun and is fully reworked, from trigger through sights. The only complaint I have ever heard on the El Patron is the barrel marking is laser etched and has partially rubbed off on occasion.

Hope that helps!

robertbank
09-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. I am looking for a 2nd gun to go with my El Patron. I have no idea where I can get Uberti's up here but Martstar does carry the Pietta at a reasonable price. I don't need another El Patron. I want to dabble in SASS, nothing to serious so I need the 2nd revolver.

Thanks again

Bob

WD7J
10-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Update: The EMF gun also has slightly widened sights front and back. The Cimarron Frontier has standard pre-war sights.

Still have not received the pics of the top of the barrel of the EMF, but there is a youtube video that shows it pretty clear. It appears to be laser etched and it is pretty big printing. The guy on the video didn't like it but to me it didn't look too bad. I guess it's about the same as the big FRONTIER on the side of the Cimarron so I guess it's a wash as far as the marking goes.

Because of the better sights and the "Single Action Army" on the side of the EMF, I'm leaning that way.

Whichever one I get I will post full pics.

- Charlie

Beagle333
10-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks Charlie!! No updates from my end..... :|

Michael J. Spangler
10-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys! You're killing me though.

Now I need a clone in 45 colt and ruger in 44 mag.

Or maybe just an old vaquero in colt. Hmmm.

WD7J
10-03-2013, 11:25 PM
OK, here is the pic from EMF.

It shows three guns - on the left is their new one with the brass frame, in the middle is the Californian in 44 Mag, which is different in several ways from the other caliber Californians, and on the right is the standard Californian.

The markings are not all that clear, but on the top of the barrel of the left hand gun you can see the "Great Western II" marking. It is engraved, not laser engraved. To me it looks too big and out of place, and when I go back and look at the youtube video, I guess it does look big and out of place there too.

The three types of sights are shown on the three guns. On the left are the new larger square sights like modern guns. In the middle are the standard pre-war sights, and on the right are the slightly widened sights that are shaped to resemble pre-war sights.

You can see that the two guns on the left are marked with only caliber on the barrel, and it appears the gun on the far right is marked "Single Action Army" and the caliber (still verifying through email).

Beware the 44 mag in the center - it is a transfer bar ignition and it is the only version of Californian they have in 44 Mag. It also has the small sights and just a caliber marking on the barrel.

I chased down the details of the markings on the Cimarron Frontier. The "Cimarron Arms" marking is on the top of the barrel and is small and unobtrusive. The marking on the bottom is the "Pietta Italy" mark and it is also small and unobtrusive (not to mention in an obscure area of the gun, not normally looked at). As for the "Frontier" on the side of the barrel, I had it in my head that it was big and gaudy looking, but when I went back to the youtube video where I saw it, it was an extreme close-up, so of course it looks big. All the other photos and videos show it as being pretty normal size, in line with the normal size of a caliber marking. The shot show 2012 video shows it pretty good and in that video it actually looks small.

Here is the pic from EMF of the "Great Western II" mark on the top of the barrel.

It's got glare covering the mark but you can still tell a few things from the pic. First, it appears the mark was engraved after the gun was blued. This makes it look lighter and brighter so it tends to stand out more. In contrast, the "Cimarron" mark on the top of the Frontier was engraved before the gun was blued, so it's not as obtrusive. Somehow, it seems odd to have "Great Western" on the top of your gun. Dunno - maybe it's just me. Second, you can see the color case hardening on the frame is the same great color case hardening as on the other Piettas.

So now I'm kinda leaning towards the Cimarron. I appreciate the slightly widened sights on the EMF, but they really do look almost identical to the standard Pietta sights. I also appreciate the "Single Action Army" on the side of the barrel, but that is somewhat offset by the very visible "Great Western II" engraving on the top. The Cimarron Frontier just "feels" like a better balance visually. Not decided yet - I would like closeup pics of the sights on both guns (and actual specs if possible), but that info may be hard to come by. As for pricing, the EMF will probably cost you more. The Frontier is widely available from high-volume discount dealers on places like gunbroker, while the EMF will have to be ordered by your dealer. Both guns list at around $530, but the Frontier hovers around $425 or so on gunbroker, while even cooperative dealers will need to get more like $460 (minimum) for the EMF. One plus for the EMF if cost is not a big deal - you can buy one right off the EMF website - for $530 of course!

Michael J. Spangler
10-04-2013, 07:27 AM
thank you !

this is great. i'm loving the info.

time to visit a local shop and handle some six guns

Treetop
10-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Does anyone own a Cimarron Model "P"? They are "period correct". That's the way I'm leaning now that Pietta and CAI have let us down... Tt.

WD7J
10-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Final update: Got the info from EMF about the sights. Turns out the EMF literature is incorrect - the sights on the Californian are standard Pietta sights, not special wider sights. Also, the printing on the side of the barrel is "Single Action" plus the caliber, not "Single Action Army" plus the caliber.

With everything considered, I have decided to go with the Pietta Frontier.

Michael J. Spangler
10-04-2013, 08:24 PM
i saw a cimmaron today. looked really nice. i didn't get to handle it though.

pakmc
10-05-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't know about the pietta's but I have and had a bunch of the uberit's, all the ones I got, shoot to point of aim.(I can't say that about rugers.) I have uberit's in 32-20, 38-40, 44-40, .44 special, and several in .45 long colt.(all are P models 1873's) all the barrels are 4 3/4 or 5 1/2 in. I love them all. I pour my own bullets for all the calibers. one range I go to has a "plate" rack. it's 6 - 8inch round plates at 10 yards. the trick is to knock down all six plates with 6 shots. I"ve done it with all of my guns, at lease once. the 32-20 is like a bee fart! my favorate pistol for this is a 1860 colt(rep.) in .44 special (yes, center fire)

35 Whelen
10-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Does anyone own a Cimarron Model "P"? They are "period correct". That's the way I'm leaning now that Pietta and CAI have let us down... Tt.

I own a 5 1/2" Cimarron "P" in .44 Special. I don't know exactly what you mean by "period correct" but it doesn't have a transfer bar, and unlike the my more expesive Vaquero, it shoots straight!

35W

Treetop
10-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't know exactly what you mean by "period correct" but it doesn't have a transfer bar
35W

35W, thanks for the reply. I first heard that term from Jeff Quinn at Gunblast dot com, he used it to explain that the Cimarron Model Ps are a faithful clone of the original 1873 period Colt SAA.

After I scratch my "4 3/4" .45 Colt" itch, I think my next SAA will be a 5 1/2" .44 Special like yours! Tt.

Beagle333
11-11-2013, 10:41 PM
After all the wait.... it's here! It feels good and looks pretty good too. It does say "1873SA.45LC" on the left side of the barrel, and "read owners manual before use" on the right side in small letters right down along the ejection rod.
And it does have a transfer bar. But.... it is $350 bucks. That's about 80 higher than projected.... but not unreasonable. I'll find out how it shoots soon.:grin:

If I seem unreasonably happy about it right now.... it's because I've never had a .45LC and I've waited a long time for it and so... I am pretty unreasonably happy about it..... right now. ;-)

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/1873/Pietta002_zps13c0af7f.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/1873/Pietta013_zps5771db27.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/1873/Pietta017_zps9f4cd6f8.jpg

Michael J. Spangler
11-11-2013, 11:05 PM
thats still a nice looking gun for $350. can't wait for the range report/slugging bore and cylinder throats

woohoo! congrats man!

Michael J. Spangler
11-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Does anyone make a SAA style revolver that has a hammer block and a hammer mounted firing pin?
Not to be confused with the flat hammer and a transfer bar/ frame mounted pin.

I really like the look of the hammer mounted firing pin and the 4 clicks but was wondering if anyone married a s&w style hammer block in there somewhere?

robertbank
11-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Does anyone make a SAA style revolver that has a hammer block and a hammer mounted firing pin?

I really like the look of the hammer mounted firing pin and the 4 clicks but was wondering if anyone married a s&w style hammer block in there somewhere?

The Uberti El Patron I have has what I think you are describing. Search Uberti and take a look.

Beagle that looks like a fine shooter. I suggest you put some blue lock tite on the three frame screws and the ejector rod shroud screw. The screws on the SAA have a habit of backing out due to the guns harmonics. Looking for your ejector rod shroud and the spring is not fun. Don't ask!

Take Care

Bob

UNIQUEDOT
11-12-2013, 10:49 AM
The Uberti El Patron I have has what I think you are describing. Search Uberti and take a look.

I have an Uberti cattleman that has a hammer block safety on it. It works by simply pushing the cylinder pin in past the normal stop to the safety stop and the hammer has an insert that contacts the pin and prevents the firing pin from traveling far enough to contact a primer. I intended to put a traditional hammer and pin in it, but it hasn't been a problem for me so I've just left it be.

Michael J. Spangler
11-12-2013, 07:44 PM
sounds a little funky.

i think i'm just going to go for a straight out clone. seems anything short of a transfer bar system is not really proven to work well.

Beagle333
11-12-2013, 09:04 PM
I would have preferred an exact clone of the Colt, but all of my other centerfire revolvers have transfer bars, so I have no bad feelings toward them.

Larry Gibson
11-12-2013, 10:12 PM

Uberti used to, don't know if they still do. Back in the early '90s Dwayne Thomas did an article for G&A which features an Uberti Artillery Model in 45 Colt. I took some pictures for the article and helped with the testing. I ended up purchasing that SAA and have shot it a whole lot over the years. It has a hammer mounted firing pin and a block the tilts up to rest on the frame unless the trigger is pulled. It keeps the hammer back off the frame just short of the "safety" notch. The only time it doesn't block the hammer from full firing position is when the trigger is pulled which then pivots it out of the way. Probably a poor description. It effectively blocks the hammer from going forward and is safe but I still carry it as a "5" shooter.....just old habits.

Larry Gibson

Treetop
11-12-2013, 10:40 PM
After all the wait.... it's here! It feels good and looks pretty good too. It does say "1873SA.45LC" on the left side of the barrel, and "read owners manual before use" on the right side in small letters right down along the ejection rod.
And it does have a transfer bar. But.... it is $350 bucks. That's about 80 higher than projected.... but not unreasonable. I'll find out how it shoots soon.:grin:

If I seem unreasonably happy about it right now.... it's because I've never had a .45LC and I've waited a long time for it and so... I am pretty unreasonably happy about it..... right now. ;-)

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/1873/Pietta002_zps13c0af7f.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/1873/Pietta013_zps5771db27.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/1873/Pietta017_zps9f4cd6f8.jpg

Wow, that 6 shooter looks great, beagle! I sure don't blame you for being unreasonably happy.

Slug the bore and chamber throats, then size some of those boolits you've been sitting on all summer, waiting for this glorious day. I'm anxious to hear your first range report.

I can't tell you how hooked I am on these SAA clones. I also can't believe that it took me all of these decades of handgun shooting before I finally bought one! Tt.

wrench man
11-13-2013, 01:36 AM
I would have preferred an exact clone of the Colt, but all of my other centerfire revolvers have transfer bars, so I have no bad feelings toward them.

The Uberti I've got is pretty dang close!?, as for the safety transfer bars, the one in my Ruger's work well, the one in the Taurus the the Uberti replaced is about 75-80% of the reason I will NEVER!! own another Taurus/Rossi!