PDA

View Full Version : maybe lee is actually improving

Lloyd Smale
09-30-2007, 10:34 AM
told us the delay was to improve manufacturing and if this new 45 310 mold is any kind of example id have to agree. Ive put in a couple marathon sessions with it and have a pile of sized and lubed bullets out of #2 that weights 46 lbs. Dont know how many that is but its a pretty good batch. this mold has casted great. Bullets drop out easy and weight variation betwee cavitys is as small as varaiations of bullets comming out of the same cavity. Now im not a extreamly fussy caster like some guns here and usually cast more for production but a sample weight out of about a 100 of these bullets put them at 300 grain + or - .5 grains which is very good for me and my methods. As a matter of fact its extreamly good. The real good part for me is ive about trashed 6 cavity lees in sessions like that and this one is still casting as good as new. No pin problems no galling on the top and no spruce plate warpage. Not even a loose spruce bolt or hold down bolt. Probably the best 6 cavity lee mold ive had yet.

C A Plater
09-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Good news to hear. Makes one hope that what we eventually get will be right.

Keith429421
09-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Can you share a picture of the cast bullett? I asked to be put on the list for an extra if Catshooter has any.
Danny

Lloyd Smale
09-30-2007, 09:35 PM
someone else will have to help my computer is crashed and im on the kids and dont have a photo program in this one.

45nut
09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
you can email it to me and I will post it. 45nut at myway.com

Keith429421
10-01-2007, 07:39 AM
that would be great, if it's not too much trouble. I'd like to see the final product.
Danny

Buckshot
10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
................What would REALLY be nice (in case it hasn't been done yet) is to maybe contact Lee and tell them about how happy we are with the recent GB's that have come in?

Anyone done that yet?

.................Buckshot

45 2.1
10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
................What would REALLY be nice (in case it hasn't been done yet) is to maybe contact Lee and tell them about how happy we are with the recent GB's that have come in?

Anyone done that yet?

.................Buckshot

Lets see what happens with the majority of them. Four in a row come in good and the fifth (25 cal.) comes in 0.003" over normal as sized. Thats a lot for a 25 caliber mold to swallow up.
Time will tell...........................

Lloyd Smale
10-01-2007, 01:37 PM
this old computer doesnt have a port for my camera card and im to dumb to do it any other way but my computer is comming back today. It crashed and i lost everything. ALl my hunting pictures all my kids graduation picutres all my gun pictures. even the pictures of the dog when he was a puppy. All my gun links are gone too. Its going to be a chore getting back going on that one but when i do ill get a picture of the bullet up for you guys. Take a lesson from me. If you do even one smart thing in your life back up the pictures you have on your computer! Mine are lost forever and im about sick!!
you can email it to me and I will post it. 45nut at myway.com

Lloyd Smale
10-01-2007, 01:40 PM
patmarlin has a photo of some of them posted her http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20448

Buckshot
10-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Lets see what happens with the majority of them. Four in a row come in good and the fifth (25 cal.) comes in 0.003" over normal as sized. Thats a lot for a 25 caliber mold to swallow up.
Time will tell...........................

...........Are you talking about the .257, 80gr FNGC John F did? They speced a .260" boolit, so if that's the one, lee fudged it by a thousandth. Not bad a tall.

...............Buckshot

Catshooter
10-01-2007, 08:17 PM
When I saw what Lee had given us with my three GBs, I called and talked to Pat to share the good news. I figure a little encouragement never hurts. :)

Cat

45 2.1
10-02-2007, 07:55 AM
...........Are you talking about the .257, 80gr FNGC John F did? They speced a .260" boolit, so if that's the one, lee fudged it by a thousandth. Not bad a tall.
...............Buckshot

Not bad for Lee, but not good for folks with 0.258" throats, which is what several 25 caliber rifles had that I measured.