PDA

View Full Version : Lube Deposits on Base/Ogive

ColColt
06-28-2013, 10:15 AM
I bought a Lyman 4500 sizer recently and put a .459" die in for the purpose of lightly sizing a Postell 535 gr bullet. The reservoir is filled with a tube of SPG lube. For some reason I can't get the height of the push rod adjusted to not get lube on the bullet base/nose. If I lower it enough to avoid lube on the bottom of the base then it deposits lube on the ogive of the bullet...just above the drive band. Seems to be no happy medium. Any suggestions?

Wayne Smith
06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Usually if you are getting lube on the base of the boolit you are releasing pressure on the handle while you are pressuring the lube reservoir. This allows a little lube to leak under the base.

That's a long boolit. This is the only reason I can imagine that you are having this problem.

ColColt
06-28-2013, 12:48 PM
That could be. Usually when I feel pressure I assume all grooves are filled and stop further pressure on the ratchet. I'll try another method. You're right, it is a very long boolit. In fact, about 1.420".

ColColt
06-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I just wanted to leave a parting shot about this. The recommendation Wayne made worked beautifully...many thanks.

Wayne Smith
06-28-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm glad it was that easy!