PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 lube under bullets

Miata Mike
06-28-2013, 12:16 AM
I have sized roughly 1500 200 grain 452460 bullets using White label BAC lube. I sized some .45 colt bullets and some round nose .452 bullets in small batches for testing. The odds and ends bullets would have occasional huge globs of lube under the bullets, maybe one in 20? My normal 452460 bullets would have this maybe once in 50 or 60.

Tonight I just couldn't seem to get many without the huge glob under the bullets. I am switching to Carnuba Red as soon as it arrives, so I was hoping to use up what was in the luber. Temperature in my garage was maybe 80 degrees. Was it too hot for the BAC lube causing the mess? I thought it would be perfect being warmed up.

Any thoughts?

avogunner
06-28-2013, 06:56 AM
To avoid this very problem, I like to you use as little pressure as possible (while still filling the grooves in one pass) so back off on the pressure nut torque a little bit. While I don't consider 80deg all that warm, it would have made the lube flow a little easier in the sizer requiring even less pressure. I use While Lable 50/50 in my Lyman and in the winter time will even put a light bulb next to the size to warm it up a little and it'll flow like butter. Good Luck.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-28-2013, 07:01 AM
when you make the switch to C/R you will need to add a little heat
to make it flow.

bobthenailer
06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
for CR you will need from 95 to 105 degrees and light to med pressure on the lube

Miata Mike
06-28-2013, 07:46 PM
I am adding some 1/4" aluminum under the sizer and extending 7 or 8" out, which I will place a small travel iron to warm things up. Can't wait until I get the Carnuba Red! :D

I have been used to putting a fair amount of pressure on the BAC, so it must have just been much warmer than I have tried before.

Mal Paso
06-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Keep downward pressure on the sizer handle until the upstroke. A pause at the bottom with no pressure on the boolit will let lube get under the boolit.

Air pockets can be eliminated by melting the lube and pouring it in.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-28-2013, 09:21 PM
i use a cylinder heater too add heat
works great

canyon-ghost
06-28-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure about the 45 but, the 4500 is adjustable for depth. Sometimes you can push the bullet a touch deeper in the sizing die and not get as much lube on the bases.

gwpercle
07-02-2013, 01:24 PM
It is not the lube. Fine tune the depth stop so the very top holes are inline with the lube groove. Use the tiniest amount of pressure to force the lube out. If the grooves are 95% filled it will be enough. Sometimes if the grooves are 50% filled I spin the bullet 45 degrees and apply just a touch more pressure. Look at the holes in the lube die so you will get an idea of how deep the bullet needs to go down, try not to have a hole at the boolit base level because the lube will go under the base. Depending on the shape of the boolit and location of the grooves, you will need to adjust the depth up or down. Also when applying lube pressure keep a little downward pressure on the handle so the lube can't go under the base. Keep the pressure as low as possible and the bases will stay clean.
Gary

Duckiller
07-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Wipe the bottom of the boolits with a paper towel. No more lube where it shouldn't be, Adjusting stop will aslo help minimize the problem.

milprileb
07-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Wipe the bottom of the boolits with a paper towel. No more lube where it shouldn't be, Adjusting stop will aslo help minimize the problem.

Try all the advice but the above is where I ended up using BAC. Its a little more sticky and messy than using Carnuba Red and
more prone to do flowing under the bullet. Then I read on these forums about using the egg carton foam and putting a piece of this
in the Lyman 450 on the ejector rod in the die and this seals the base of bullet and prevents lube migration. Seems to stay there about 200 bullets and then need replacing. I stick the carton material into the 450, drop the handle and it punches a piece into the die and all is well. You may need two pieces of the stuff. You will have to adjust your ejector rod screw again if you use this approach. Hey.. its cheap and works . If you think lube on bullet bases is a PITA for 45 , try to deal with it on 9mm bullets .

Whoever on the boards invented the Egg Carton solution: Take a bow !

Miata Mike
07-06-2013, 05:32 PM
This was dig it out of the die with a screwdriver deep with lube. I am quite sure it was just too warm.

Egg carton thing sounds cool too. :D