PDA

View Full Version : Is Forster still making the Co-Ax?

Stonecrusher
06-27-2013, 09:28 PM
I have been looking for one of these for the last six months or so and no one has them. Unless you count the day or two Midway had them for $300. That price is a little excessive to me. Been wanting to replace my Big Max but can't find one? The Big Max is great, I just never warmed up to it over the last twenty five years or so.
If you guys know anywhere that has them please give me a heads up. Thanks!

dragon813gt
06-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Still being made. Just saw a few for sale at Cabelas two weekends ago. The cost is what's prevented me from buying on as well. It's a little to rich for not enough gain for me.

Stonecrusher
06-27-2013, 10:11 PM
The thread title was a wee bit of sarcasm. I know they are being made, I just never see them for sale and the one time I did it was for $40 - $60 more than Wideners had them listed for. Not that they have had any in stock.

sirAIG
06-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Have used one of my friends - it is WELL worth the money, IMO. Especially if you a reloading lots a rifle for long range/very tight tolerances. For me, loading mostly handgun - the gains are not worth it.

seagiant
06-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Hi,
I hate to break it to you guys but every press out there one way or the other,"floats" the case or the die! The Bonanza Co-Ax floats the die with the special die rings that you use and holds solid the brass case with the universal jaws (small and large) On a regular press the die is held solid and the case floats in the J type shellholder!

As long as you use a solid well built press,I would doubt you could tell a difference in the quality of ammo! Oh yea I used a Bonanza for probably 20 years! It is a nice press!

9.3X62AL
06-28-2013, 01:00 AM
My thoughts on this subject have been that I need to sharpen my offhand or benchrest skills a whole lot more before being able to discern a difference between what my RCBS RockChucker produces for my bolters compared to the potential of a Forster or Bonanza press. The loose nut behind the rifle stock is always The Usual Suspect in my world--no illusions here as to that.

Lance Boyle
06-28-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure if they possess any magic or not but I have worked up loads at a friend's place who has a range and press 6' away. His CoAx press and my dies and I made some really nice ammo. Shot fantastic groups. Get home and make the same load with my same die, same bullets, brass, etc. on my RCBS RS3 and they shoot good but not as good. I wish I checked the runout on them before firing them so i could compare. Just a single anecdotal example of course but it makes me wonder.

W.R.Buchanan
06-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Just another way of doing the same thing.

In case you guys haven't noticed there is alot of outfits who make reloading equipment, they have to do some things differently because if every one made the same thing, there would be alot more colors needed to paint everyones tools a different color so you could tell them apart.

There are many ways to do just about every operation you can do to a cartridge. Some are better than others, some aren't very good at all.

The Forrester press is a well made tool, I personally think their universal shell holder is the best part of the press, however I just passed a virtually new one up at my gunclub meeting two weeks ago for $150!

I have 15 other tools that do the same thing.

Randy

Stonecrusher
06-28-2013, 06:05 PM
So what I'm hearing is, no one knows anyplace that has them in stock. If any one does, or anything about when some may come up for sale, please let me know.

MT Chambers
06-28-2013, 06:41 PM
If on the six or seventh day, God had created the CO-AX, there would have been a lot more happy people, and a lot fewer wars since!

milprileb
07-01-2013, 04:28 PM
I think it makes a difference and so do all the other Co Ax users I know. I refused to think this from 1968 till 2011 when I lucked into a Co Ax for $80. One never usually sees them used and up for sale. My friends were right, I wish I had been using this press all along and I rarely use my 1970 vintage (I bought it new so that dates me) RCBS Rock Chucker. Then last year, I ran into an estate sale and got another CO Ax 99.99% new for $40. So what does a man do with 2 of these presses: I ain't figured that out yet but I got'em.

Artful
07-01-2013, 11:17 PM
So what does a man do with 2 of these presses: I ain't figured that out yet but I got'em.

Load and teach loading to others! ;-)

Dan Cash
07-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I think it makes a difference and so do all the other Co Ax users I know. I refused to think this from 1968 till 2011 when I lucked into a Co Ax for $80. One never usually sees them used and up for sale. My friends were right, I wish I had been using this press all along and I rarely use my 1970 vintage (I bought it new so that dates me) RCBS Rock Chucker. Then last year, I ran into an estate sale and got another CO Ax 99.99% new for $40. So what does a man do with 2 of these presses: I ain't figured that out yet but I got'em.

Mount them both on the bench about 12" - 14" apart. Put a powder measure between the two presses and go to town making match ammunition.

My only match ammo is BP .45-70 which takes many steps and is done on a Redding T7 bit I am thinking about doing the seating cycle on the Co-Ax.

Lloyd Smale
07-04-2013, 07:01 AM
I had one back in the day. It was the "have to have" press of the day. I wasnt impressed. It seemed awkward to use. I get a kick out of that floating die advertisement. Guys spend money and time to take the play out of dillon presses to get consistant ammo. If floating was good for accuracy youd see bench rest shooters using presses with floating dies. Personaly id take a rockchucker over two co-axs
Hi,
I hate to break it to you guys but every press out there one way or the other,"floats" the case or the die! The Bonanza Co-Ax floats the die with the special die rings that you use and holds solid the brass case with the universal jaws (small and large) On a regular press the die is held solid and the case floats in the J type shellholder!

As long as you use a solid well built press,I would doubt you could tell a difference in the quality of ammo! Oh yea I used a Bonanza for probably 20 years! It is a nice press!

milprileb
07-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Well LLoyd, since I have all 3 of presses you mentioned : Rock Chucker, Dillons, and Co Ax. And that I load match ammo
I shoot at 1000 yds , and that I see a benefit of Co Ax use over the other presses for most accurate made rifle ammo, I
just don't agree with you.

country gent
07-04-2013, 01:54 PM
I have a co-ax and several others by lee lymann rcbs dillon 650s and a couple homemade ones. I truly believe the Co Ax is the top press. The floating alighnment is something that is unique. The die flooating allows the die to alighn with center line of case and square to case centerline. Last time I was at a bench rest match most were loading with wilson straight lines ( or a version of) and an arbor press. You can load great ammo on most presses but from what I have seen the co ax gets the nod. Mine was purchased in early 80s and has had the links replaced once and the shell base cut down .060 for a wear plate under the shell jaws. What can I say after 20 years loading high power rifle ammo the base was dished out and the links and pins egg shaped. Was a quick easy overhaul. The draw back to the co ax is 45 rimmed cases up and 22 hornet need a special jaw set. But not having to buy shell holders is a plus.

Lloyd Smale
07-05-2013, 12:25 PM
I still would like to know how the floating die is so good in a coax but poison in any other press. If a guy bought any other press and the die wiggled around in it hed be sending it back! guys that want to make good ammo on say a 550 drill out the pins and put bolts in the frame to hold the die plates solid. Most benchrest shooters use like country gent said arbor press or other presses with absolutely no play in them. Im not saying a coax is a poor press. I loaded on one for probably 10 years back in the day but prefered a standard o press. Never could buy into the floating die kool-aid other then its faster die swaps. For me to recomend it to another loader i couldnt justify the additional cost that gains you nothing over a rock chucker. Just my opinion though. Ive got buddys who swear by them too.

MT Chambers
07-05-2013, 11:58 PM
The dies do indeed float but the base of the case does as well as the "jaws" float until the case is perfectly aligned with the case, others presses don't do that.

Lloyd Smale
07-10-2013, 06:43 AM
sorry but the base of the case floats in a progressive a bit too. Or for that matter in any press

porthos
07-13-2013, 04:32 PM
I hardly ever tighten my sizing dies snug in my 40 year old rockchucker . I just leave a very slight wiggle and use a piece of duct tape on the lock ring taped to the top of the press. this lets the brass center itself in the die. unless I'm missing something wouldn't this serve the same purpose?? hope someone responds to this.

porthos

smokey496
07-13-2013, 05:23 PM
That's how the Lee dies are. Tighten there lock ring finger tight, and leave it alone. Leaves a slight wiggle to help center the brass.

357maximum
07-13-2013, 05:40 PM
I gave my rochchucker away to a newbee after I bought my first co-ax so I guess one can see where I stand. If you were to try unbolting my co-ax from the bench you would get introduced to one of it's "fruits". :mrgreen:

soldierbilly1
07-15-2013, 09:23 AM
I love it, strong as hell. Better than anything else, we can argue.

the Army Marksmanship Unit has used it for years.

good enough for me. My shooting is not up to it!!

billy boy