PDA

View Full Version : S&W 629 classic red dot

45fan
06-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Hello all I am in need of some advice. I have a S&W model 629 classic with a 5 inch barrel that has become tougher to shoot accurately due to my eyes not being as young as rest of me! I would like to put a red dot on it but would like something that is small and as close to the bore as possible and not sitting high so there is a major offset between sight and bore. I mainly use it for shooting cans and punching holes in paper but plan on taking down a few piggies every now and again as well. Would like to keep my budget under $200 or less if it is possible to get a red dot to handle the recoil of 44 mag. If not and I have no choice but to spend more to get what I want I will just have to wait a bit longer and save more I guess.

Let me know your thoughts, experiences and any advise to help these aging eyes.

NSB
06-27-2013, 08:09 PM
I have owned/currently own a number of 44mag revolvers and have shot them a lot. I've had several different red dot sights on them and I know what you mean about keeping the sight near the bore. I recently took an UltraDot 4 off of my Ruger SBH simply because it was as high as the gun was long. It held up well and worked great, it was just too big for the gun. I replaced it with a Burris FastFire3 and I'm completely satisfied with this sight. I also mounted one on my Win model 1886 45-70 using a Turnbull mount. I can guarantee you the sight will withstand the recoil of the 44 mag with no problem. They are a little more than you indicated you want to spend but not much more. I got them at Optics Planet for $230 which included free shipping and the mount comes with the sight for a Weaver/Pictinny base. It's really small, has selectable dot brightness, auto shut off, and a cover with a see through front lens for use in bad weather. Check it out. FYI: I've owned at least 20 different red dot sights over the last 20 years and shot a lot of competition with them and hunted with them. I own AimPoints, Burris, Tasco, Leupold, Bushnell, and a few others I can't remember. The Burris is as good as any of them.

phonejack
06-27-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm in the same fix "thanks for the advice

bobthenailer
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I also have red dot sights on most of my handguns and a few rifles , they are a god send for aging eyes !
IMO dont get a red dot sight with several dot sizes or patterns for heavy recoling handguns . its something else to brake at the wrong time and for longer shots the tracking or repeatablity of the dot is not allways up to what you would want.
I would recommend a Weaver base and a 30mm ultradot with 4 moa dot . this should keep you under your $200 or possibly some other sight in your price range. i normaly use the ultra small red dot sights for my slide mounted sights on semi auto handguns, I have tasco optima , burris fast fire 2 , pride fowler special ops , and 2 trijucons.
On my 629s i have 2 with aimpoints and one with a burris fast fire 2 only because it only has a 3 inch barrel.
for my 2 454 casulls i use the aimpoint micro.

Shuz
06-28-2013, 11:15 PM
I suggest you try an SDM fiber optic site for your 629 Classic. I have one on a 629 Classic DX in 5" bbl and I love it. The sites are available thru Dillon or perhaps other places and retail on Dillon for $35.00. The site just slips in just like an S&W site and is so easy on the eyes. At least it is on my 72 year old eyes.

45fan
07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks for info gentlemen I am going to look on the ole google machine to see what I can find on all the options thus far. Anybody else with other experiences using red dots on big bore revolvers?

Forrest r
07-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I've used the tasco pro points for 8 or 9 years now on different pistols.

A 617 6" bbl with a pro point.

A 629 classic with a 6" bbl & prop point (pistol on left)

I used to have a 586 with a 4"bbl that I used a pro point on & a model 41 with a 51/2" that I used a pro point on.

Mal Paso
07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
I have the 4 moa 30mm Ultradot on a 6" 629 and have been happy. My regular load is just a bit warmer than factory. 260g @ 1260 fps and probably 6,000 rounds by now. Install the rail with Blue Loctite after cleaning parts.

I have improved ramp fiber optic front sights on all my revolvers but they don't work in the shade.

My best offhand 6 shot group was with the Ultradot. Got a few in the X ring today but one shot in the center seems to scare the other shots off.

45fan
07-01-2013, 10:55 PM
I have heard a lot about the ultra dot not only this post but others as well. What I am looking for is any experience with this type of small red dots similar to the one mounted on this glock. Do these type red dots handle recoil well etc... let me know of your experience. I am trying to stay around the $200 mark.75131

imashooter2
07-01-2013, 11:58 PM
My recommendation would be a Burris Fastfire on an Allchin Mini STS mount. Hard to get much smaller or lower...

bobthenailer
07-02-2013, 07:23 AM
On my FA 454 casull with the pride/fowler S/O sight the screws that hold the front part of the sight /lenes Assy to the base came loose changing poi after a few years , i tightened them up and put it on my 3" 629 with no problems.

I have had no problems with my other slide mounted micro sights on my semi autos or revolvers.

currently i like the burris FF-3 over the FF-2, leupold & vortex brands are top notch as well as the price but they have a lifetime warrenty, also look into ultradots micro sight as well as C more micro sight , i have no experince with those 2.

From my experince most micro sights that adj the dot brightness automaticly most
are usually to bright for most shooting condtions unless the target & sight is in bright sunlight for me this over brightness and deters my accuracy . previously the only brand that worked 100% satisfactory for me is the PF sight , the burris FF-3 is adjustiable and works well , the leupold works well but is not adjustiable
I currently have a optima , PF , burris FF , 2 trijucons and in the past a doctor sight which i did not like , it was allways to bright even after sending it back for repair and them sending me a new gen3 sight.

45fan
07-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Bob thanks for all the great info, I have checked out the optima and burris already, what is a PF and what model trijicons do you have? I would like to check them out as well. Between the optima and burris I am leaning toward the burris so far, but I want to look into as many as others have had good experiences with before i decide on one. Also how to mount it on an N frame S&W frame, the Allchin Mini STS mount that imashooter2 mentions above seems like a sweet deal.

Again thanks Bob and imashooter2 and all others for your input and advice it is greatly appreciated. Anybody else with small red dot experiences? Keep em comin!

bobthenailer
07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
go with the Burris FF-3
A+ on the Allchin base it will accept all the other small sights as well as the Burris who for some reason chose to use different alignemt pin configuration for there sight.

Mal Paso
07-03-2013, 08:15 PM
I have heard a lot about the ultra dot not only this post but others as well. What I am looking for is any experience with this type of small red dots similar to the one mounted on this glock. Do these type red dots handle recoil well etc... let me know of your experience. I am trying to stay around the $200 mark.

I returned a J Point when the dot came loose. Had problems with a Burris. Bought the Ultra Dot because 44man couldn't break em. And I found I liked it better. It's hard to find the dot quickly with those unlimited eye relief sights. The sight obscures your view of the barrel and offers no line up guides of it's own. That Ultra Dot tube is easy to see in your peripheral vision and you are lining up the tube before you see the dot. Much easier dot acquisition, for me anyway.

45fan
07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
OK Allchin mount base and Burris FF3 it is! Thanks for the help guys, with every bodies experiences and research this is what my plan is.

kartooo
07-09-2013, 11:16 PM
i had an ultradot matchdot on both my S&W 617 and S&W model 14 because my 59yr old eyes just were not good for open sights anymore.
they worked very well but i hated the looks....
1 day i left my reading glasses on instead of swapping to my shooting glasses while using open sites.
the frt sight is in perfect focus now !! sold both scopes. try some reading glasses, even just the cheap ones you will be surprized.
the target is a little blurry and the rear sight is a little blurry but that frt sight is just fine.

winelover
07-10-2013, 08:25 AM
I've been using Armson (Trijicon) OEG's as my red dot of choice since the late 80's. No batteries (10-12 year lamp life) , no switches and automatic light compensation. Rather inexpensive ($109) back then. Sadly, Trijicon doesn't support them any longer. I called them last month since I needed six of them relamped.

I've been trying to find replacements for a while. I started off with an UltraDot, because of all the positive reviews on this forum. My main complaint is that I find it just too bright for dawn or dusk. Same thing for the Bushnell Trophy Dot.

Recently, picked up a Vortex SPARC and mounted it on my wife's 45 LC BH. It's half the size of a UltraDot and comes with it's own mounting system that is compatible with Weaver or Picatinny rail. It has more user friendly controls than the UltraDot or the Trophy Dot. It's still too bright for low light, in it's regular mode. However, there is a switch for compatibility with Night vision equipment. In this mode, it just might work for low light without compromising my night vision. I am able to see the dot without the aid of night vision equipment. Now, if only I could find something similar that will take conventional 1" rings.

Winelover