PDA

View Full Version : 870 Express Wood Refinishing Question

lead-1
06-27-2013, 07:01 PM
I have a stock set from an 870 express and the finish is rubbing thin and probably hasn't ever
been rubbed down with anything to protect it. Do you think it would be ok to rub it down with
some steel wool or scotch bright to smooth it up a bit, then put a little walnut stain on it to
darken it a little then finish with several coats of boiled linseed oil?
I'm not looking to make a show piece, just darken it and put some protection back in it.

lead-1
06-27-2013, 07:03 PM
And what is up with my posts now, they type off the screen then enter all broken up like that. ^^^^

375RUGER
06-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Try using the return key.

I use wet dry sand paper to smooth/prep for a finish.

flounderman
06-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Linseed oil doesn't protect and isn't water proof. I have been building stocks for about 60 years and the last few years have used clear Minwax, Helmsman, spar urethane, in a spray can. The stuff doesn't crack or yellow, and when it is cured, it is hard to sandpaper it, and it is water and solvent proof. I prefer to not use stain and I believe the stock will better absorb the initial coat of finish without the stain.

waksupi
06-27-2013, 08:10 PM
And what is up with my posts now, they type off the screen then enter all broken up like that. ^^^^

I would guess you are using a non-compatible mobile devise.

izzyjoe
06-27-2013, 10:30 PM
the wood on those "Express" gun's is birch, a dark stain will look blotchy. they make a wood prep to use before stain, but it still best to stay with a lighter color stain. a pecan, or an oak stain will work good. birch don't have a lot of grain to it, so a lighter one will accent what's there, and not cover it up.

Outpost75
06-27-2013, 10:38 PM
On my waterfowl guns I've had good results stripping the old finish with ZipStrip safe stripper, then cleaning the surface with Murphy's Oil Soap, following with liberal application of Thompson's WaterSeal, then using a good exterior marine grade flat urethane. If you want to stain the wood to enhance the grain, Minwax Puritan Pine looks nice on the Maine yellow birch Remington uses, and results in a color similar to teak boat decking.

lead-1
06-27-2013, 11:16 PM
I was thinking to use stain just to darken the wood because it is a lighter color and
linseed oil to do what I thought would be protect the wood. Do you remember what
the older police wood looked like, of course it was walnut, but that is what I was
wanting to achieve, darker wood and no clear looking finish to it.
Maybe I will just linseed oil it with several coats and use a flat clear urethane.

I am using my home computer and when this site updated to this format I had this
problem with typing clear off the screen but I don't remember what someone told
me to do to fix it, lol.

plainsman456
06-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Get some lin-speed,done satin it looks like the older finish.

If you don't find any look for some special dark stain,it might take more than 1 try to get it even.

Use a good wax after you get done whatever you do.

izzyjoe
06-28-2013, 10:30 PM
i've seen quite a few of the older police 870 wingmasters, they used plain walnut, and the corncob fore end. they did'nt have any clearcoat on the wood, just oil finish. i understand the look you are wanting to get.

nekshot
06-29-2013, 08:30 AM
this almost repulsive to most, but after oil base stain is applied and still wet a soft flame from butane torch lightly applied in long passes with grain can do wonders to birch. When the color & pattern is achieved lightly rub with steel wool to smooth things up and get rid of burnt stain. Try it in the barrel channel first if you never did this before. It produces character in the birch which naturally is not there. If you screw up it can always be sanded again.

texassako
06-29-2013, 08:46 AM
If it is birch, use a pre stain conditioner or make your own with very thin shellac. It fills the pores so the stain is even. I use a wiping varnish made from 1/3 each spar varnish(for the weatherproofing), blo(for the look), and mineral spirits(so I can put it on with a rag). It looks close to several of my old guns' original finish before the days of putting a plastic looking shell of a finish on them. The nice part is it can be touched up at any time and looks better as it ages.