PDA

View Full Version : Smokeless fluxing with wax

Jim
06-27-2013, 04:54 PM
I like to flux my alloy with a bit of bee's wax every fifteen minutes or so. It probably doesn't need it, but I do it anyway. The wax generates a lot of smoke until I can get a match lit and the smoke lit.

Today, I tried something that makes for a smokeless wax flux. I dropped an unlit match in the alloy. It immediately ignited. I dropped the wax in right on top of it and the wax immediately lit. I stirred the alloy until the flames went out, skimmed off the dross and I was back in business. Quick, easy and no smoked up boolit shop.

jcobb651
06-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Are these strike anywhere matches or the kind that come in a book? Does it matter?

Jim
06-27-2013, 06:03 PM
What I had handy was the small box matches. I don't think it would matter though what kind you use. As long as the match is still burning when you drop in the wax, you're good.

shredder
06-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Nice work. I can't believe I never thought of that!

shadowcaster
06-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Smokeless fluxing with wax

I like to flux my alloy with a bit of bee's wax every fifteen minutes or so. It probably doesn't need it, but I do it anyway. The wax generates a lot of smoke until I can get a match lit and the smoke lit.

I am sure probably already know, but you are using the wax as a reducer. Wax is NOT a flux.

Shad

williamwaco
06-27-2013, 07:41 PM
I use paraffin for that it is MUCH cheaper.

AND if your pot is hot enough, it will self ignite.

btroj
06-27-2013, 09:27 PM
No smoke? How can Janet tell that you are casting if she can't smell it?

That smokey smell is part of the experience. Not having it is like shooting without getting dirty.

Jim
06-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Brad, I don't need you to make a fool outa' me. I can do that very well by myself, thank you very much.

:bigsmyl2:

Duckiller
07-06-2013, 04:14 PM
If you run out of matches use a small sliver of wood about the size of a match. It should start burning if placed on molten lead. I flinch every time the wax starts to burn so I went to sawdust and a wooden stir stick.

onomrbil
07-07-2013, 11:29 PM
That's an old one. Been doing that for 50+ years. My dad showed me that when I was a kid casting bullets for his '06. . . . Surprised you have never come across that in the literature.