PDA

View Full Version : Pietta 1851 Navy Nipple size?

LivewireBlanco
06-27-2013, 01:33 AM
I'm wanting to replace the nipples on my Pietta 1851 Navy .36 cal. I found Treso AMPCO 6X.75 nipples to be the common replacement. Is this correct?

Mike 56
06-27-2013, 02:32 AM
Yes and yes 6x75 is the right size and ampco are very good nipples. Here is a link to all the sizes.
http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples-cb.html

L W Smithy
01-29-2019, 09:17 PM
How can you tell what brand of .44cal pietta revolver I have .It is a brass frame. And sn#461997 .i looked at a schematic for a 1851navy and there is not the 6 cylinder safety rings like in the schematic that I was looking at

dondiego
01-30-2019, 12:21 PM
How can you tell what brand of .44cal pietta revolver I have .It is a brass frame. And sn#461997 .i looked at a schematic for a 1851navy and there is not the 6 cylinder safety rings like in the schematic that I was looking at

Pietta is the brand.

arcticap
01-30-2019, 01:56 PM
Dixie sells the Pietta factory nipples in packs of 3:--->>> https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/7308/category_id/615/product_name/TR1268+TRADITIONS+REVOLVER+NIPPLES+PKG+3+PIETTA

Surculus
02-05-2019, 02:38 AM

Irrelevant: if you've got a Pietta repro, then they all use the same size nipples, regardless of the caliber, until you get into the little .31 colt/remington pocket models.

bedbugbilly
02-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Check out Track of the Wolf as well - just go down through their nipple listings - pretty easy to follow and figure out

Some nipples can be "pricey" - but remember that the pistol is only as good as the nipples - they are the heart of the revolver - if caps don't fit well, if the nipples are not to what I would call "spec" - i.e. - I've seen factory furnished nipples that in a set of six on a new revolver, maybe four will have correct cap fit and retention or the cap won't seat down properly so it will go off - you'll learn what the word frustration means.

Kind of a long way around to saying spend a little more and get a good set of nipples.

A little side story on "ampco" nipples. In 1966, I bough a reproduction 1863 Remington Zouave Rivled Mucket that was used. I had help getting started in shooting in N-SSA and it was recommended to me to change the steel nipple out to a "ampco" nipple - what? I could buy a steel nipple from DGW for 50 cents and Ampco nipples were $1.00 for a musket nipple!!!! Hey . . . I was kid. :-) I spent the extra 50 cents for the Ampco nipple - the rifle had fired literally thousands and thousands or rounds . . . and that Ampco apple is still in that rifle and still going strong.