PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Reviews on CMMG Revolution Modular Upper Receiver for AR-15

ryan777s
06-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Has anyone had any experience with these CMMG Revolution Modular uppers? I'm really interested in one because im a lefty, and its between this and a stag lefty upper. I know i dont need a left side ejection, but i want to make an AR thats completely different than the standard cookie cutter AR's at the range. Its going to be chambered in 300 AAC Blk, fluted stainless heavy barrel, knurled free float tube hand guard, with a vortex sparc red dot, and a unique lower from Sierra Nevada Arms (80%). Im going to build the whole thing myself, from a pile of parts. anyway, i havnt been able to find any consumer info on these uppers, so i was just wondering if anyone had some input. thanks, -Ryan

http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1816.htm

W.R.Buchanan
07-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I was not aware of this product. It looks pretty cool to me. The ability to change the ejection direction is a cool option.

However if you need or want a left handed gun you'll need a left handed lower too.

There are some parts out there that make a regular lower kind of work both ways, but they aren't the same as a left handed lower.

Running an AR is a little more complicated than a lot of other guns. The two main factors that must be mastered are locking the bolt open and removing the magazine.

I am installing a paddle style bolt release on my new Bushmaster Carbon 15 AR to make it easier to get a positive lock on the bolt. A Ranier Charging Handle that will allow me to operate the bolt with either hand is a good thing too, since sometimes you want to cycle the bolt with your left hand and sometimes your right.

These are all things you want to consider when building your gun, but the main things you have to learn is locking the bolt open and installing/removing the mag. This is the basis for all of your clearing drills, and general operation of the gun.

Point being you might be better off with a Stag LH model. Regular AR's are definitely right handed guns.

Randy

702Shooter
07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I was not aware of this product. It looks pretty cool to me. The ability to change the ejection direction is a cool option.

However if you need or want a left handed gun you'll need a left handed lower too.

There are some parts out there that make a regular lower kind of work both ways, but they aren't the same as a left handed lower.

Running an AR is a little more complicated than a lot of other guns. The two main factors that must be mastered are locking the bolt open and removing the magazine.

I am installing a paddle style bolt release on my new Bushmaster Carbon 15 AR to make it easier to get a positive lock on the bolt. A Ranier Charging Handle that will allow me to operate the bolt with either hand is a good thing too, since sometimes you want to cycle the bolt with your left hand and sometimes your right.

These are all things you want to consider when building your gun, but the main things you have to learn is locking the bolt open and installing/removing the mag. This is the basis for all of your clearing drills, and general operation of the gun.

Point being you might be better off with a Stag LH model. Regular AR's are definitely right handed guns.

Randy

You CAN NOT change this from right side ejection to left side ejection. You order either the right or left side option. The forward assist can be changed to either side.

As for lowers, the AXTS Weapons Systems AX556 is a fully ambi lower. Bolt lock and all.

http://axtsweapons.com/products/AX556

garym1a2
07-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I am not a fan of having screws on a combat rifle. The CMMG upper panels seem from the pictures to be held on by small screws.
In my Ar's the only screws are the large one for the Hand and but stocks.