PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder of how quick dooky happens.

Harter66
06-26-2013, 06:49 PM
I don't even know how to explain this.....

I've known this guy over 20 yr . He's always been very ''muzzle''safety aware ,maybe not OCD RO but diligent that this shouldn't have happened. Worst of all he was alone,100 yd from his truck and phone. He managed 30yd toward the truck in 3hr between stupid and someone finding him.....

So this was an accidental/negligent discharge.
Mossberg 500 ''Just in case'', 20'' cyl 12ga pistol grip.
2 3/4 #8 shot charge unk but 7/8 to 1 1/8oz
He may yet loose his leg. 100's of stitches. The unseen is the off side that's split 2'' below and 4'' above the seen stitches.

Love Life
06-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Geez. He's lucky he didn't punch the femoral.

cummins05
06-26-2013, 07:14 PM
I bet that really really hurt

sparky45
06-26-2013, 07:16 PM

From the picture above it appears he was lucky in that the Femoral Artery (superficial) begins to tuck back behind the Femur just about where he was injured.

Harter66
06-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes very lucky.Very,very.

Firebricker
06-27-2013, 03:03 AM
Glad he didn't hit the big artery and bleed out but I hope he doesn't lose his leg. FB

Jammersix
06-27-2013, 05:03 AM
An accidental discharge is when the weapon breaks. Everything else is negligence.

Harter66
06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Jammer,
I've been around the block a time or 2, I did note that it may have been operator error as opposed to tool failure. Personally I don't care for M500s or the stylized trench gun. This demonstraits 1 reason. I wasn't there so I can't say ''it was a lost count hang fire'',''it just went off when he jacked it closed'',''he fumbled the butt and got his thumb in the fire control'' . I'm sure there are 100 things that could/may have happened, it may have even been cumulitive .

My hope is that just old dog will check a bad/sloppy habit or 1 new shooter will keep their action clean, ammo dry, muzzle down range,finger out of the guard,safety on and never have an AD/ND.

Doc_Stihl
06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
How in the wide wide world of sports did he get the muzzle around in that position to do that?!
Glad he shared the result, it may help to drive home the safety point to someone out there. Everyone could use the reminder now and then.
I hope he heals well and makes a full recovery.

Harter66
06-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Well those home defense guns make it a lot easier.

Piedmont
06-27-2013, 11:11 PM
I am in my fifties and have never had a negligent discharge. HOWEVER, the older I get the more I like DA revolvers and break-open shotguns. Every little safety edge I can get is appreciated because I know I am capable of doing something really stupid occasionally.

Harter66
06-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Piedmont,
At the tender age 47 I too have come to fully appreciate the O/U , bolt action and revolvers though I tend toward singles in the field.

In this case muzzle control alone would have prevented the injury.

jblee10
06-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Pistol grip shotgun! That looks like one reason a pump action shouldn't have a pistol grip. It seems like it would be easy to have something that resembles a slam fire when your holding onto a pistol grip with a finger on the trigger.

archmaker
06-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Accidents happen, that is why we call them accidents.

They way I see it Murphy will show up in ways unexpected, I hope he recovers.

Now that I am almost 50, I am real careful, at 20 I was just lucky.

Harter66
06-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Actually I think the M500s have always had disconnectors in them unlike the 620 Stevens/Savage or M12 Win and probably every pump any thing made before 1970 or so.

My buddy talked to him the leg is still uncertain. It's been 3 weeks there's blood flow,no almond smells or fever.
He says he was picking up and had holstered a pistol and leaned over to pick up his range bag w/the grip in hand ........I pause to wonder why the pistol grip and not the mag/bbl wrap grip . It looks like we have failure to control the muzzle w/stacking into the ''finger forced into the trigger'' as a winner.

Prevention measures empty gun and/or safe on,bbl mag carry or forestock , make 2 trips to the truck, make 1 trip drive the truck over to finish picking , the buddy system , I bet this could be 1 of those stacking error deals where 1 little change could have prevented it . Sorry 17yr of accident reviews, find 10 flaws up to the incident create a safety measure to remove 1 or more human errors.

Firebricker
06-28-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm sure he has replayed that moment a thousand times in his mind unfortunately what's done is done. Complacency is a danger to everone this thread is a good reminder to never drop your guard. Praying he can make a full recovery keep us posted. FB

canyon-ghost
06-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Ouch, keep the blood flowing through the leg. I wish him the best at recovery.

Ron

Beau Cassidy
06-28-2013, 11:10 PM

Its on the other side so he wasn't close.

The first person I ever saw shot was with a shotgun point blank. .72 hole going in- coke can hole coming out. They certainly make a mess, don't they!

Doc_Stihl
07-02-2013, 04:44 PM
When my mother became a paramedic one of the first calls she took was to a gunshot wound.
9mm Glasser safety slug point blank in the palm of a hand. The guy finished cleaning the pistol and was "feeling the grip" at the kitchen table. I can remember her asking me "please don't do anything stupid" when she got home. There were a few kids in the room when the negligent discharge happened.

There's a quote out there that I have always enjoyed goes something like. "Computers allow you to make more mistakes faster than anything in human history with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila"

Harter66
07-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Up date.
He had X-rays yesterday,he will keep the leg. The bone is healing , he's been released to full load bearing over 2 weeks. He's expected to need an additional surgery to correct knee function.

Bamned lucky he is.

Reloader06
07-17-2013, 08:57 PM
"Bamned lucky he is."

AMEN!