PDA

View Full Version : 250 grain .45 @ 900 FPS...What About.....

Southern Shooter
06-26-2013, 02:47 PM
I have read in a number of places about this old but effective combination of a 250 grain flat-nose .45 caliber cast bullet @ 900 FPS. Anywhere in the lower 48 states, it seems that it would do anything required in the woods or in social situations in its hay day.

What about this 360 grain boolit at 900 FPS from a Ruger SRH Alaskan .454 Casull? I am sure it would hand two legged critters. What about the largest 4-legged problems in the U.S. all the way up to Canada, at that velocity? In up close encounters with very large, big boned animals, would rapidly producing multiple shots with a slow, widenose, heavy boolit be more important than much higher velocity and only getting off a single shot?

outdoorfan
06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Good luck trying to get it stabilized to shoot anywhere near respectable at 900 fps. That's been my experience with those types of bullets (very heavy for caliber) in my .45 blackhawk.

Southern Shooter
06-26-2013, 04:41 PM
In terms of stabalizing, if I understand where you are referencing, with 23 grains of IMR 4227, at 15 yards I see no signs of keyholing developing. Nice, clean round holes on my targets. I don't know about further distances.

outdoorfan
06-26-2013, 08:31 PM
I didn't catch the "close up" part. Yes, 15 yards is pretty close and that bullet should work fine at that distance. At 50 yards things might be quite different, but that isn't "close up" anymore.

TXGunNut
06-26-2013, 10:51 PM
I like the old BP or BP equivalent but when I want something hit a bit harder I'll go with a 300 grainer at around 1100 fps. Shoots just fine and isn't too hard on the RBH either. I don't get to hunt the really big stuff but if I did it would be with a suitable rifle, RBH makes an excellent backup.

Southern Shooter
06-27-2013, 01:15 AM
TXGunNut,
If I were hunting, you are correct, the revolver would be a backup gun. But, the post was intended with backcountry hiking or exploring with a heavy pack on. Really hope to avoid the weight and handling of a rifle.

Potsy
06-27-2013, 10:58 AM
I've played with some in the 350grn. range in my Ruger Bisley.
FWIW, they were running right at 1000fps. and were still hitting with the front end forward at 50 yards.
I need to experiment with it a little further, just ain't had time.
There are a couple of drawbacks; first, I was sizing down RD-460-350's, so it was a lot of work, second, though my sights are adjustable, that weight of bullet at that speed hits WAY higher than any other load I run through that gun.
Further, in Tennessee, a 285grainer at 1000-1200fps will pretty well deal with anything I'm going to run up on. At 5 feet or 50 yards.

surfanarchist
06-27-2013, 12:45 PM
"In up close encounters with very large, big boned animals, would rapidly producing multiple shots with a slow, widenose, heavy boolit be more important than much higher velocity and only getting off a single shot?"

Shot placement is key. If the animal is moving and the situation developed qiuckly you are not going to get optimum placement. Large bullet, small bullet, fast or slow, the more shots you can deliver the better chance of stopping a dangerous animal.