PDA

View Full Version : Oddball question

armoredman
09-29-2007, 06:11 PM
How many here who cast boolits also cast fishing sinkers? Just curious.

pumpguy
09-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Fishing sinkers!?!?!? Seems like a waste of good lead to me!:-D:-D

Underclocked
09-29-2007, 06:47 PM
my neighbor does, so he gets any lead that is too hard for my uses.

Johnch
09-29-2007, 09:18 PM
my neighbor does, so he gets any lead that is too hard for my uses.

I have never had that problem

I started casting sinkers and jigs
I still do
Living 20 min from one of the best walleye rivers in the country
I need to sling some lead on fishing line every spring
Need to stock the freezer with walleye

John

PatMarlin
09-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Me-

3oz Diamond Jigs for rock fish. I don't even need to decorate em'.. :drinks:

454PB
09-30-2007, 12:31 AM
I used to. I had a Herters mold that was really slick. It cast a variable weight bell shaped sinker with a loop on top, and once the lead hardened, you squeezed the handles and the mould released the lead loop and the sinker dropped out.

OBXPilgrim
09-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Why,... no --- what, me?

What would ever give someone that idea.

Fishing?...who has time for fishing?

NVcurmudgeon
09-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Seenkers? Seenkers? We fly feeshermen don' got to cho you no steenking seenkers!

The Double D
09-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Fishing!!!! Seems like a perfectly good waste of Gopher Shooting time to me!!!

Jim
09-30-2007, 08:06 AM
The Broad River, here in Columbia, is littered with rocks and submerged branches. Fishing the bottom is a nightmare, but worth the trouble. I bought a sliding egg sinker mold to beat the high price of sinkers in Wally World.

PatMarlin
09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Why don't ya'll know that lead chokes them poor fishes.. :groner:

kenjuudo
09-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Half a dozen different sizes of split shot, three or four styles of jigs. Great way to introduce a kid to casting:-D:-D:-D

jim

1Shirt
09-30-2007, 09:10 PM
For what ever it is worth, my idea of fishing is a granade in a pond and a scoop net. Don't mind eating them, but a rod and reel don't have much of a trigger, or go off with a bang, or whatever!
1Shirt!:coffee:

schutzen
09-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Yup, mostly large bank sinkers for river fishing (rods and jugs). Every couple of years we cast up 2 LB cannon balls for snaging below the dams. Just got back from fishing today. We were trot lining. Caught 130 lbs of blue channel catfish. Not too bad for a pair of fat old men!

357maximum
09-30-2007, 10:09 PM
I actually have more do-it sinker/jig molds than i do boolit molds....being lead rich and pocket poor/cheap is what lead me down the lead road in the first place....I mostly only use the larger sinker molds anymore though, it is what i use questionable lead for nowadays....I am basically just a catman anymore i would hate to waste my precious shootin lead supply on some bottom sucking trash fish such as a walleye or such...[smilie=1: I went a little overboard with each mold as it entered the stable and i will have sinkers/and jigs aplenty for someone to sort through after i am worm food.

PatMarlin
10-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Darn.

This is my second season I have not been out to sea or done any fishing.. :groner:

My boat "Lil Skippy" is highly upset with me, leaving her unused for 2 years.. :roll:

MN91311
10-02-2007, 08:45 PM
How many here who cast boolits also cast fishing sinkers? Just curious.
I cast both bullets and sinkers. With all the lead scrounging I do, there is always some questionable lead here, and I use the unknown or known-to-be-contaminated stuff for egg sinkers, no-snag sinkers, and bottom-bouncers.
I once melted a whole pile of huge bank sinkers (way too big for around here) with the intention of molding them into no snaggers and egg sinkers, which I did. No matter how hot I got it, there was a heavy slush on the surface. No funny colors, but mushy. Multiple fluxing did not reduce it, and skimming off the top removed it, but it was a lot of waste.
I wouldn't use good alloy for sinkers.

AZ-Stew
10-03-2007, 11:38 AM
After wasting many an hour drowning worms with nothing to show for it, I have come to the conclusion that fish are mythical creatures.

Regards,

Stew

OBXPilgrim
10-03-2007, 06:29 PM
"that fish are mythical creatures"

I know what you mean

Rick Hodges
10-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Yep!

Cast boolits and jigs.

Rick Hodges

Hackleback
10-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Nice Cobia!! I don't think I have ever seen one that big.

OBXPilgrim
10-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks

60" long - 95 lbs

Caught last summer from the beach at Cape Hatteras NC

It was the biggest caught on Hatteras Island in '06 - or so the Red Drum Tackle shop folks told me

Kind of paled in comparison to the 116 lb new state record caught a few weeks before.

My son caught it on one of my rods - we kayak out the baits 100 to 300 yards. He's 6'2" - sophmore in college at the time - all he could do to lift it.

PatMarlin
10-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Holy cow that's a beast.. :shock:

Are they good eatin?

Guys kayak fish down in San Diego and litterly troll with a fish finder aboard, and catch monster sized fish. Even out fish the off shore boaters.

OBXPilgrim
10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Cobia are excellent - you can occasionally find it for sale commercially, when someone is crazy enough to sell it. I like it better than grouper, snapper, tuna and just slightly better than ocean-caught stripped bass - broke out a couple bags of vacuum packed fillets for this evening, as a matter of fact.

I've been on the websites about the left coast kayak fisherman. That's really more than anything how I got started doing this - that & texas kayak shark fishermen (those guys are nuts). It's just a twice a year distraction more than anything. I mostly just run out baits with mine, hauling anything that volitile onto a tippy, plastic boat would not be fun for me - Cobia go nuts when they hit the beach/boat, and have a row of pop-up 1" 'daggers' between their head & dorsal, that can reek havoc.

PatMarlin
10-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm usually an offshore fishin' fool, but do to funds and other stuff, I've been grounded 2 seasons. Sure do miss the fish in the freezer.