PDA

View Full Version : Casting problem

Patrick56
06-26-2013, 03:22 AM
What is wrong when the lead is not pouring properly from a Lee pot? Instead of a continuous stream of silver I get a fast dripping? Tried to clean the valve and to rise the temperature but nothing helps. Do I need some flux? The bullets are horrible, filled of wrinkles.

cummins05
06-26-2013, 04:43 AM
Sounds go me like u need to adjust the stem for more lead flow turn the screw up top I can't remember which direction but one way or the other a little at a time

JWFilips
06-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise to increase the rod travel

cummins05
06-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Thank you I couldn't remember which direction to turn and I wasn't home to look

Moonie
06-26-2013, 12:15 PM
I have a tool I made to run up into the spout, about 1/3" of the end of a shirt coat hanger (the white ones) bent to a right angle. It is a tight fit and removes the paint from the end, this works for cleaning out the spout and the lead flows well for a good while.

Patrick56
06-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Did not know that there is any adjustment possible. This is a cheap model IV 500w pot. Have to check it out. I once removed the stem and did not see any means to adjust it. The only possibility to increase the flow would be to bend the wire that lifts the stem and works as handle also ( with weight attached ).

Patrick56
06-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Moonie, thank you for your advice! Made a similar tool and the found out that there was something quite high up in the spout. Did also bend the "hinge" so there is more clearance to the back of the pot. Got a nice stream of lead. With a proper working temperature on the mold I think I could have decent bullets now. Had to stop my experiment as the clock is 11PM here now.:D

shadowcaster
06-27-2013, 07:20 PM
It is also helpful to spin the rod every once in a while with a screw driver. This helps keep the spout clear of debris.

Shad

Patrick56
06-28-2013, 03:29 AM
Ok, thank you Shad. When you have done everything, read the manual. I had to learn this once more. Lee manual says that you have to rotate the stem with a screwdriver 10 degrees back and forth when the pot starts dripping.:o

MT Chambers
06-30-2013, 02:49 AM
Don't worry, when you don't want it to come out and your bare hand is under there, it will come out full force, Lee Murphy's law.

randyrat
07-02-2013, 12:17 AM
From now on, if you use a dry stick to stir your molten lead your plugging of the pour spout will stop... Stirring with a wooden stick helps lift the dross that gets trapped on the bottom of the pot.
Also never run it completely dry of lead, it will plug from dross on top of the melt.
Always dip the stick slow in case there is some moisture in it.

onomrbil
07-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Also try fluxing the spout.

Moonie
07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
I have a small long nose vice grip attached to end of my rod, sticking straight up, adds some weight to it AND its easier to rotate it then it is to fiddle with a screwdriver.