PDA

View Full Version : Mold Block Material Preference

Gibbs44
06-25-2013, 09:59 PM
I have a couple of questions. I'm looking at getting a mold from Accurate. As most know you can have your mold just about any flavor you want. I'm going for a two cavity in .431 or .432.

1) My first question is has anyone owned a mold in two or more of the materials or sizes available from Accurate of the same design, if so which one did you prefer? I don't have any experience with brass or aluminum molds, and really just trying to get information for those materials, but a new steel mold is not out of the question either if you liked them over the brass or aluminum.

2) Block Size, did you have a the same design and material, just a different block size for some reason?

2) Of course, why do you prefer it? Bullets drop easier, ease of maintenance, etc.

Just trying to weigh my options before I decide to drop the cash. I know I could always buy it, and if I don't like it sell it here. You never see many molds lasting very long that's for sure. These questions aren't just for Accurate they could be any of the makers that use different materials.

Thanks for the help

Love Life
06-25-2013, 10:12 PM
I prefer aluminum. It is lightweight and cast just as well as the other materials.

I had both an iron and an aluminum 358477 and 358429. Both cast very well. The aluminum was lighter which = winner.

I have a brass mould, it casts nice, but is heavier than I like.

singleshot
06-25-2013, 11:48 PM
I prefer aluminum mainly for speed of production.

MT Chambers
06-26-2013, 12:08 AM
I like iron and brass most, lastly aluminum, prolly because of problems with some earlier cheaper alum. molds. I think that iron will outlast them all.

jmort
06-26-2013, 12:13 AM
I go with what Tom at Accurate uses for his own purposes. From his FAQs:

"My favorite for my own casting is aluminum."

I agree

Walter Laich
06-26-2013, 08:33 PM
aluminum--light weight for long casting sessions

ACrowe25
06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
As others said, can't go wrong with good ol' Al.

dromia
06-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Aluminium is my metal of choice for moulds due to its lightness and in quality of cast boolits it gives up nothing to other metals.

A well made mould by a quality maker will work as advertised regardless of the metal. Brass, iron and aluminium all have there own ways of casting and some people prefer certain metals characteristics over others but the boolits dropped will be of equal quality all other things being equal.

bones37
07-01-2013, 01:44 PM
I went with the two cavity 2.35" iron mold in the 43-250K. I had Tom cut mine to cast at 432", and it actually comes out as cast at 433". I personally prefer the iron molds, but its just a individual choice I suppose.

Hunter
07-02-2013, 01:56 AM
I like iron molds myself. They hold heat very well and will last forever.

John Boy
07-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Gibbs, I have 2 molds from Accurate with the same metric bullet:
* One single cavity aluminum
* One double cavity brass.
They both cast perfectly, easy bullet drop, bullet weight & dimensions and bases so sharp one can shave with them
This being said, the mold material is your choice but Tom at Accurate makes IMO the best molds on the market today regardless of block material. Only wish he would spring for the CAD to cut round noses

jdam169
07-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I just got done casting some boolits with my brass mold and was wishing it was alum. The ole forearm is a bit sore.

Cosmiceyes
07-03-2013, 08:15 PM
I like "iron" as they will cast many life times.I just use 2 cavity. Weight isn't a problem as my wrist are not "limp"!

captaint
07-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Let me tell you something - a well made aluminum mold is a thing of beauty and function. Having said that, I do like my steel and brass molds too. I think if I buy another mold from Accurate, it'll be in aluminum. Just my opinion. Mike

dragon813gt
07-04-2013, 04:03 PM
All my aluminium molds are now gone and have been replaced w/ brass. W/ the exception of a 22cal mold from JTknives. If he offered it in brass I would have bought it over aluminium. I don't cast fast so I prefer the heat characteristics of brass. They do seem to have a narrow band where they rain bullets. But once you reach it the mold stays there and I can cast a leisurely pace. I'm not trying to tire myself out w/ this hobby. I stay sway from iron since it would rust instantly where I live. I don't have any issues w/ the weight of brass molds. They are fully supported when pouring so I have to hold them for maybe ten seconds a cast. I also have it set up for ease of movement so I don't strain anything. May be looking into a little to much. But I was taught to work smarter, not harder.

1500FPS
07-04-2013, 04:19 PM
They all have their pro's and con's and I've been able to cast beautiful boolits from all of them. A good aluminum mold will last a long time if you take care of it properly. Now with that said, I like the brass, but my God they are heavy when in 4 cavity size.