PDA

View Full Version : Lee collet die multi cartridge modification

texassako
06-25-2013, 12:59 PM
I thought others might like to see this since I know others are using the washer method with these to use them on other cartridges. I based this one off of a .25-06 die because I wanted one for .25 Remington(would work for .25-35 as well) and .257 Roberts(I know, they sell it). I cut out a 1/2" section of the collet, kept the center section as a spacer, and made up 2 additional spacers to make up for the lost material. By reordering the spacers, I can use one die to neck size pretty much all .25 caliber rifle cartridges .250 Savage on up to .257 Weatherby(using an extra spacer) I like how these collet dies function, and now they are more useful. Next up is a .30-06 die that is going to get the same treatment so I can use it on 7.62x54r and .30-40 AI. It should make a die that could neck size .300 Savage and up. Here are some of the spacer orders, .25-06, .25 Remington, .257 Roberts:

dromia
06-27-2013, 05:25 AM
That is very good and neat approach but beyond my skills.

I'll just have to stay with sticking cut out washers onto the shell holder with epoxy.

However if some enterprising member would take this up as a business idea, he or she would have me as a customer no two ways about it.

texassako
06-27-2013, 09:50 AM
That is very good and neat approach but beyond my skills.

I'll just have to stay with sticking cut out washers onto the shell holder with epoxy.

However if some enterprising member would take this up as a business idea, he or she would have me as a customer no two ways about it.

I started this thread to kind of weigh interest in the idea. Maybe a better title would have caught a bit more interest. Already have a few changes in mind for the .30 caliber one. Standardized spacer thicknesses for one.

bearbud
06-30-2013, 01:26 AM
This is super clever. I like it.
How do cut the collet? How far can you get to the slots in the collet, without losing the spring function?

MT Chambers
06-30-2013, 02:52 AM
All that for a die that is unnecessary?

texassako
06-30-2013, 08:59 AM
This is super clever. I like it.
How do cut the collet? How far can you get to the slots in the collet, without losing the spring function?

I cut the collet about 1/4" below the slots in my mini lathe with a parting tool. The steel is not very hard since it needs to be springy. Spring function is fine. My main worry was metal fatigue with less material below the slots. It might flex more with less material at the base, but figured the flex is less than the collet petal flex.

All that for a die that is unnecessary?

I don't understand your comment. I guess you FL size all your cases every time? Or do you mean having a separate neck die?

Janoosh
06-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Texassako...Thanks for this information.....it shows American Ingenuity at its best. I am currently using Hornady neck sizing dies, but this idea will allow more variation in neck tension.

Benjlan
07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Tex you appear to me as a mad scientist.