PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 225415/Graphlox velocity test

Jim
06-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Awhile back, I posted that I had killed a 'coon with my first cast boolit load. Recently a friend gifted me with a new chony and I used it yesterday to determine the velocity of this load.

Savage Axis Youth LH .223 bolt
Lyman 225415
Graphlox
2.6 grs. Red Dot
Small Rifle primers

Load development test

Velocity test

I thought sure that the velocity was below MACH but the chrony shows it to be hovering right at MACH. In any event, it's turned out to be a good low velocity load. The report is similar to a .22LR and the recoil is obviously nonexistant.

Velocity recordings

Bullshop
06-25-2013, 10:11 AM
If by this post you are asking for opinions on the over all performance achieved mine is that its unimpressive.
At 100 feet you are getting accuracy attainable with an iron sighted hand gun. Even if the rifle being used is iron sighted I don't consider the groups at all impressive.
All you have done here is show a load that produces low velocity and little else, not much of an achievement.
If you were not looking for opinions please disregard this one.
If you can accept constructive criticism then take this to mean that I know you can do better with more effort invested.
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but this is just one of many opinions that I am sure will be vastly differing.
If sharing of opinions leads to offering advice on how to make improvement I am open to that. Maybe I can help and maybe I cant but truth is I think I could do better, but again that's just one mans opinion and nothing more.

Hamish
06-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Uh, I believe he was presenting empirical data. I sincerely doubt that he was looking for affirmation of self worth.

Wondering what it is that could have been done "better". I am unsure how you can take the presentation of load data and the resulting chronological data and do it "better".

Bullshop
06-25-2013, 11:14 AM
OK here we go! I didn't infer that the data could be presented better only that the ballistic performance could be better. Starting with a 96 fps extreme velocity spread is generally accepted as not conducive to best accuracy. I suspect there are other points that can be improved on as well but would need more detail to be able to offer any meaningful advice.
Why would we want to come here to present empirical data if that data is not conducive to good performance, unless it is meant to show a direction of load development to avoid?
As I tried to say right off that weather ballistic performance is good or bad is a matter of opinion and all I did was to offer one as well as offer to help improve it. I think my experience in developing cast boolit load data should carry some weight and anyone really interested in learning more and improving there own might do well to at least consider my opinion.
I didn't expect my opinion the be popular in this thread but none the less it is my honest opinion. I prefer an honest opinion to an undeserved pat on the back.

Jupiter7
06-25-2013, 11:37 PM
For the record, spread was 47fps. I think it's good info, especially for anyone looking for a track on supressed loads or plinking for kids. Can it be improved? Maybe...

Also with rimfire ammo being ridiculously priced and unavailable, this may be an option for some.

Bullshop
06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
"""Dan,
Are you saying that you can shoot 3/10" at 33 yards with an iron sighted handgun?"""
Nope! Not saying that. But if I am to believe what I read here at CB there are others that can and do.

""For the record, spread was 47fps.""
OOPS! Yup your right. I thought I was seeing 1197 as the high when it was 1097. That 10 kinda just blended in with the surrounding 11s
My mistake and I apologize! 47 fps ES falls within my personal limit of 50 fps ES. I set 50 as my limit but am never satisfied with it. I am never really happy unless I get at least in the teens and single digits make me shudder with excitement. The reason is as range increases so does vertical projectile impact dispersion.
As may be the case here where there is no expectation of shooting beyond 50 yards the 50 fps ES may be acceptable performance wise but still it knags at my desire for near ballistic perfection.
High ES is usually related to a number of possible reasons affecting propellant ignition. If this was a first attempt I had tried and got the velocity I wanted the first thing I would try to improve ignition would be a powder may ignite more efficiently at the pressure developed.
In this case since the powder used Alliant Red Dot and IMR Trail Boss are of nearly identical burn rate and because the same weight charge of TB will fill a greater percentage of the case volume I would expect an ignition improvement by switching to TB. Maybe not but that is the first thing I would try to lower ES.
That's not the last thing I would try only the first of likely many things.
Like snow flakes we are all so vastly different and it is just my nature to just keep trying to get better performing loads. In this realm of ammo creation it is the draw for me, the challenge that keeps the fun and enjoyment in it and has not waned in my lifetime.

Jim
06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Jim,
Are you using GCs?

Yes Sir, .010 aluminum.

Weighing powder charges? (assuming that you are considering that its Red Dot)

Yes, Ohaus 10 10 beam scale.

Have you tried pistol primers with that powder/boolit?

Yes, but in a different test. Didn't see any difference, but I'm not done yet.

No doubt its a good 50 yard plinker and 'coon getter! Low noise, no recoil, low cost....what's not to like?

Exactly. I worked up this load with a specific goal in mind. It suits me.

Jim
06-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Have you tried any without the GCs? .....

No Sir, I have not. These boolits came from my new NOE 225 60 RNGC mold. They all get checked, regardless of powder/load.

btroj
06-26-2013, 09:55 PM
You had me with "it suits me"

**oneshot**
06-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Looks good to me!

Olevern
07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Looks like we're still doing rude and insensitive on this "greatest of all gun forums"
JMHO

NSP64
07-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Jim, try dilling the flash holes bigger and switch to pistol primmers might get tighter groups.

NLS1
07-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks Jim for taking the time to post. I appreciate the info.

My oldest son and I are planning on a 22 centerfire to hand load together, and these light loads are great for quiet and/or teaching someone to shoot.

Dan

1Shirt
07-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Jim, if it works for you "don't fix it"!
1Shirt!

Jim
07-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Jim, if it works for you "don't fix it"!
1Shirt!

Exactly. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.