PDA

View Full Version : sticky bullet mold

Matt85
06-25-2013, 12:42 AM
so i recently picked up a buffalo arms 460500 mold for my 45-70 and while the bullets this thing casts look great im having a real problem with them sticking in the mold. it takes some real beating on the mold handles to get the bullet to pop out. any advice on what i can do to get them to drop easier?

thanks
-matt

MtGun44
06-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Scrub the cavities well with a toothbrush and Comet. This will give you a light
deburr on the edges. Most likely tiny machining burrs keeping them from falling
easily. If that doesn't work, go to "Leementing" in the stickies and give that a
try. Basically casting boolits and putting a driving feature (usually a screw) into
the base and spinning it with a mild abrasive. Much more detail in the stickie.

Bill

Donor8x56r
06-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Get Bullplate lube as use exactly as directed-it works .

skeet1
06-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Matt85
I had a Lyman 452460 double cavity that had the same problem that I purchased many years ago. The mold sat unused because it was such a problem with sticky bullets. A while back there was talk about using Kroil in the cavities to help the bullets drop. This sounded crazy to me because normally you want to keep oil out of the cavities. As I said this mold was a real pain to use so I thought I had nothing to loose. I tried it and the mold has worked good ever since. You might do a search on using Kroil in the mold.

Ken

leadman
06-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Bullplate for sticky boolits in the cavities????

dromia
06-30-2013, 02:38 AM
Do not put Bullplate lube in the cavities, using bullplate lube as directed will no cure your hanging up problem.

Do as Bill has suggested, if the boolits are hanging up then it is a mechanical issue that needs addressing.

Some people swear by kroil, read the sticky. Personally I've never got it to work for me.

What alloy are you using and at what temperatures do you have your alloy and mould running at?