PDA

View Full Version : C.C. Johnson press?

trooperdan
09-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Anyone recognise a C.C.Johnson reloading press that looks like the Tru-line Jt? Takes the 310 type dies, there is one listed on eBay now, item # 280157657628. The description says it is about seven inches tall! Petite little thing!

Bret4207
09-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Saw that. IIRC Johnson was a barrel maker. May have done some wildcat type stuff. Betcha Floodgate would know. Doug?

floodgate
09-29-2007, 02:40 PM
dan, Bret:

I just got corrected on that by C. C. Johnson's grandson, Jerry, who has his shop records. C. C. was a well-known gunsmith in Ohio in the '40's and '50's; Eric Johnson of New Haven was the barrelmaker (I was offered one of the .22's he and Ray Morgan were building for the successful 1952 U.S. Olympic team, but turned it down - WHAT WAS I THINKING??? ARRRGGH!!!!).

The "Red Head" was designed around 1939 by Earl Naramore (he had been working for Lyman, and this may have inspired them to make the Tru-Line Jr., introduced in 1947), but he handed it over to Johnson when he went back to active duty in Army Ordnance in 1942. Johnson made about 2500 before he retired in the late 1950s; a few more were made by one Jos. M. Printz around 1960. I'm REALLY looking for the Printz version for an article Ken Neeld and I are writing on these for the ARTCA Newsletter.

I'm bidding on the "Red Head" press on eBay, but don't really need a third one, so I'll be topping out at $35 and change. They're nice little presses and take the Ideal 310 dies as well as the much nicer ones CCJ made, but shellholders and priming punches are hard to find - this one supposedly has a .22 Hornet S/H and one for .38/.357, and looks like the small primer punch is still present - they fall out and are lost if you turn the press upside down.

floodgate