PDA

View Full Version : small ring mauser scope bases?

izzyjoe
06-24-2013, 09:27 PM
I have a 93 mauser that i'm building, and i'm stumped on the scope bases. i bought this rifle with the reciever drilled for bases, and the bolt turned down. i'm using a 46 front, 55 rear. first problem i noticed is the rear base holes are to far apart. if i line up one hole, the other is off by half a screw. i thought no problem i'll just adjust the holes with a dremel tool. next thing i noticed is the front base is .050 shorter than the rear, i've never seen this before, but this is my first SR also. the hole spacing on the front base is perfect. i'm just wondering what bases this action is drilled for. i'd appreciate any advice.

Mk42gunner
06-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Leupold did make a two piece base for Mausers the had the rear holes on a very short spacing. I don't remember the actual measurement, but I know it was less than the fairly standard ½". I used them on one 98 Mauser that I rebarreled.

One thing I always tried to do was space the holes so that a one piece base could be used, even if I used two piece bases.

Robert

izzyjoe
06-25-2013, 08:30 PM
i checked the hole spacing on my action, and it's .415. that seem's kinda odd, i've never seen one like this. but they must have drilled the holes to match some kind of old bases.

izzyjoe
06-30-2013, 01:56 PM
i guess the only choice i have is to shim the front base up .025, and take .025 off the rear base, and modify the hole spacing on the rear base.