PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1862 police

bigted
06-24-2013, 07:19 PM
man I need to be pinched...finally landed a 2nd gen Colt in 1862 persuasion... 5 shot ... 36 cal ...deep flutes on cylinder ... silver finger guard and backstrap. very excited would be an understatement. un-fired ...[but I will fix that oversight] ... and pristine...meaning I can put all "ted" marks on it as I didn't buy a collector ... instead a shooting handgun that I am looking forward to taking the first bp shots in this pristine revolver.

I will be on the lookout for some yellowed ivory look-alike or bone grips so if anybody has suggestions I would appreciate this as well.

any feedback as to things to and not do with this spiffy revolver?

thanks.

fouronesix
06-24-2013, 07:32 PM
No unusual care or loading for it that I know of-- BP, round balls, no chain fires and good cleaning.

Please, no mother of pearl !! :) The classic would be ivory but nothing wrong with nice walnut.

drhall762
06-24-2013, 07:55 PM
BIG DON'T! Don't keep it, send it to me.

jaystuw
06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
I want one to! are the sec gen colts only 5.5 inch barrel? Jay

bigted
06-24-2013, 09:36 PM
I think so on the 5.5 inch barrel ... but when the new family member arrives ill tell more. NO mother of pearl!!! YUK !!! the wood are 1-piece and new but I like the yellowed aged look and maybe a pair of bone that are yellow aged...either would be very welcome but as for now I don't see anything wrong with the nice wood that Colt put on it.

if I don't get along with the little hummer...{:kidding:}... ill just re-package it up and send it your way...:Fire:

it will fit rite in with the Remington and 1860. just nice to finally find a very nice looking colt that was on the cheap enough to persuade me to part with the dollars to acquire it.

jaystuw
06-24-2013, 10:02 PM
I've always wanted one in 6.5 inch. They really are (to me) the best looking gun of the colt percussion series. Looks to me like i will be going with a uberti, still a nice pistol. also, i am totally jealous that you will be shooting yours in Alaska! Jay

bigted
06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
ya...HA me and the skeeters. man what a bumper crop this year ... and mean ... usually not this hungry till August but whewww ... nice weather tho...been in the 80's. for us cold weather/thick blooded fellers here in tha north that is ... HOT !!!

ho hum ... if not the weather ... bet I can find sumptin else to snivel/bitch about ... :bigsmyl2:

yes tho ... I wouldn't trade my state of choice for anything ...[took me 43 years to get here and the 14 years I been here are just a start for this thickheaded galoot] ... even tho we live kinda primitive. ill be shootin this '62' in the front yard and not enough folks near enough to snort too much about the noise.

jaystuw
06-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Bigted, Shooting your 62 in the front yard! Thats got to be so cool, You are making me feel good just thinking about it, My life is very diffrent.I am also 57. I live south Of los angeles, a gigantic population center. My area is affluent with large houses on small lots. Lots of goods and services, Everything new and shiny and sterile. The areas nearby are vastly more affluent. Malibu, calabasas, lake sherwood, santa monica, brentwood, beverly hills and more, sounds neat? it is not. Just a gigantic rat race with everyone working like manics to get as much as they can. I belive you made a very wise choice Bigted, primitive is better than new, shiny and sterile any day. and blood sucking skeeters are better than blood sucking people! Jay

bigted
06-25-2013, 02:00 AM
Jay...stay strong my friend...your move outta the rat race is only as far away as your sickness of it develops... this style of livin is not for everybody but it sure appeals to us.

vacations used to be going to primitive spots in Oregon when we lived there but now it is in the back yard. I used to go find a spot in Oregon that I was alone and build a fire for boiling me a cup of coffee. id set there in the sticks and drink way too hot and strong coffee and dream that my muzzleloader leaning against the tree and myself were in the wilderness and stopping just long enough to boil coffee and eat a bite... hot dogs worked well on a green stick as my coffee got boiled and set long enough to settle the grounds. great times and fond memories.

may need a coffee break your self bubba...it clears the steam out and allows some center to sink in for another go at the rat race....orrrrrr maybeeeeee ... its time to ...naaa ...maybe later! coffee my friend ...clear the cobwebs.:drinks:

StrawHat
06-25-2013, 06:57 AM
...finally landed a 2nd gen Colt in 1862 persuasion...

Just so you are aware, they ARE addictive.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/ReplicaArms006_zps87640b1d.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/StrawHat/media/ReplicaArms006_zps87640b1d.jpg.html)

bigted
06-25-2013, 03:19 PM
now THAT is a sexy picture!!!

jaystuw
06-26-2013, 01:24 AM
Thats alot of hardware!. It never fails, I somehow forget just how really nice looking the 1862 police is. It Looks like the 5 1/2 incher on the left is one of the main shooters. I have mostly gone with early ( 1959 to 1962) ubertis, have a couple of steel framed 51's with smooth cylinders (the first modern repro!) and a 1962 uberti vintage remington. I don't know why I like these, I guess its because they are like the ones i saw in the gun mags as a kid and dreamed of having, but at the time were completely out of reach! Now, I should take advantage of 50 years of improvements in repro revolvers (to me the 2nd gens really got the ball rolling) And buy one. modern repros are simply superb. And i love the rebated cylinders!

Bigted, thanks for your kind words of yesterday. They brought back my own fond memories of the High sierra mountains here in calif.They are still (almost unbelievebly) intact. The remarkable thing about the high sierra is that only a short distance from the road, it becomes pristine! It must be a testament to our car culture in calif, nobody gets out and walks.

My idea of paradise is to hike out to one of the meny small lakes that dot the mountains, set up camp, explore, fish. and plink away At the downed trees in the water, I pick the really old ones, their bark is gone and the wood is sunbleached . I shoot at the branches, they are short, say 8 inches and very hard. When hit they positively shatter on impact! and throw wood "shrapnal" into the water.I love It!

Ted, what is wrong with me? I have access to everything a huge city can offer. Fine dineing, world class amusment parks and shopping, The biggest and best of everything. And yet I have little or no interest in it. When I day dream, it is about being at that lake, eating a hot dog on a green stick, and shooting my 1851 navy at those branches.

You are correct, it is a big country, and lots of better places to live. Jay

bigted
07-02-2013, 12:27 AM
well color me disappointed to say the least. got the colt in my hands today and as I am fondling it I see with exasperation that this must have been manufactured for showing instead of using.

sharp edges everywhere. no crown in the muzzle. no concave in the chambers. edge of cylinder and barrel are razor sharp. cuts in outside of barrel are super sharp. action will require my attention for a smoother action...with stones.

good things are ... nice deep rifling. nice grip. very nice finish everywhere. its a colt!

overall my Italians are very nice in comparison... shame on the Colt folks. I really expected more from them. im still tickled at owning this revolver but it is going to take some work before I even get to spark it up. ho hum ... that's the breaks I guess.

are all genuine second generation Colts manufactured in this manner?

Battis
07-02-2013, 06:35 AM
There was a Guns and Ammo article written years ago by Dennis Adler called Cap and Ball Resurrection (or something like that - I can't find a copy of it now) that talks about the development of the 2nd Generation Colts. Basically, many of the parts were made by Uberti in Italy and shipped to Colt in Hartford where they were finished, assembled, inspected and stamped COLT. It's a good article if you can find it.

StrawHat
07-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Ted,

Sorry to hear you are slightly less than thrilled with the Colt. I can not speak to the issues you have as all of mine are merely Italian copies. A judicious bit of stonig will go a long way to making thins usable. BTW, none of the chambers on mine are chamfered, all end in a sharp junction with the face of the cylinder.

...I will be on the lookout for some yellowed ivory look-alike or bone grips so if anybody has suggestions I would appreciate this as well.

any feedback as to things to and not do with this spiffy revolver?

thanks...

I used "American ivory" on the one revolver, smooth elk antler, from a shed I picked up in Arizona. I fashioned them to resemble one piece grips but made them in three pieces and glued the spacer in place. Another option would be to use holly for the grips. It resembles ivory and does age slightly yellow.

The biggest thing to do with the Pocket Police revolver is to shoot it and enjoy it. Round balls and black powder only please, keep things traditional. Besides, not a lot of powder room in these cylinders, so the mass of the conical is wasted.

Here is an article I found interesting and it is what got me interested in the Pocket Police many years before the copies were made.

http://www.windsurfingbooks.com/French.htm

bigted
07-02-2013, 10:34 AM
well despite the un-finished edges of this revolver im still happy to have one that is stamped "COLT" with Colt numbers that match.

I will re-finish the edges and prolly chamfer the chambers but all in all this is a lite and very point able specimen of the original article. just wish the folks at Colt had seen to the fine details that I had expected from them...no matter where the parts were made at.

cool article also ... that colt is very desirable and the small articles very interesting. im bettin that that is one that has never been christened huh? also got a kick outta the box's of balls ...I think... that say 'cartridges' on the top.

bigted
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
a couple pic's of the new arrival ;

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/colt-7_zps39f276ea.jpg (http://s777.photobucket.com/user/bigted1956/media/colt-7_zps39f276ea.jpg.html)

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/colt-1_zps42d9cbd4.jpg (http://s777.photobucket.com/user/bigted1956/media/colt-1_zps42d9cbd4.jpg.html)

these are pic's from the previous owner but they will suffice for showing...doubt I coulda taken any better...LOL

rodwha
07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Nice!

bigted
07-02-2013, 07:40 PM
shot it and my it shoots nice. except the nipples need replaced...three are rounded off and sometimes fire and sometimes not...mostly not. aggravating to say the least for a Colt... my my I expect this from aftermarket but this?

well looks good tho huh?

I need a set of nipples...anybody be able to steer me to a good set? I don't even know where to look for em to fit this revolver.

thanks for listening to my gripes about this revolver ... trying to not be a boob but ... sheesh !!!

she wants to work tho. it shoots wonderfully when it goes boom. 23 grains GOEX cartridge behind a itty bitty lead ball ... what a hoot to shoot.

just need some kinks worked outta the cobwebs I guess. it aint leavin my fingers so it better get used to me sooner or later ... hopefully sooner.

rodwha
07-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Try Track of The Wolf

Cosmiceyes
07-03-2013, 01:30 AM
shot it and my it shoots nice. except the nipples need replaced...three are rounded off and sometimes fire and sometimes not...mostly not. aggravating to say the least for a Colt... my my I expect this from aftermarket but this?

well looks good tho huh?

I need a set of nipples...anybody be able to steer me to a good set? I don't even know where to look for em to fit this revolver.

thanks for listening to my gripes about this revolver ... trying to not be a boob but ... sheesh !!!

she wants to work tho. it shoots wonderfully when it goes boom. 23 grains GOEX cartridge behind a itty bitty lead ball ... what a hoot to shoot.

just need some kinks worked outta the cobwebs I guess. it aint leavin my fingers so it better get used to me sooner or later ... hopefully sooner.

Dixie Gun Works in Tenn. http://www.dixiegun.com/ I've been using them since 1960??? Something???