PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp wheeler

quickshot
09-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey all
1 I really have been looking for a .45acp wheelie but seem to be comeing up blank.[smilie=b: Are these even made anymore? If so who makes them? I really would like to get one for me and something in 9mm for the wife(if that caliber is available in a wheel gun)

Quickshot:castmine::brokenima

pumpguy
09-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I don't know about the 9mm, but, S&W makes a 45. I believe it is a 25-8 or 625-8.
You could check gunbroker or the S&W site.

9.3X62AL
09-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Within the past few weeks, there was another thread on just this very subject. Try a search and see if that provides a bit more info for you.

Scrounger
09-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Available but pricey. Get her a .38 special, ballistically very similar to a 9MM and cheaper and easier to find in a revolver. For yourself, get a .45 Colt, factory loads are about the same level as the ACP but it can be heated up a bit if you want. Or get a .44 Magnum and load it down to .44 Special level.

Lloyd Smale
09-29-2007, 02:39 PM
smith still makes the 625 and there a ball to shoot. I believe tarus makes a 5 shot tracker in acp too.

Patrick L
09-29-2007, 04:54 PM
The 625s are nice alright, but I prefer my 1955 Target Model. Mine is actually a pre model# gun (after 1957 it was christened the Model 25-2) complete with a 5 screw sideplate.

S&W made these guns until the early 80s and quietly discontinued them. Then demand for used ones for pin shooting and IPSC revolver events prompted Smith to bring out the modernized 625 in 1988.

Dale53
09-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I have a good bit of information on this Forum about my recently acquired S&W 625-8 JM in .45 ACP. Mine is the 4" version and I installed a Red Dot on the revolver. My son was here for a couple of weeks from Ft. Bragg, N. C. and we got to the range several times. He was quite taken with the 625-8. After I got mine two other shooting buddies saw mine and IMMEDIATELY got theirs. It shoots well under an inch at 25 yards, has a nice trigger (I added a Jerry Miculek spring kit for an even nicer action).

These revolvers are a bit pricey (so what else is new?) but I have enjoyed shooting it more than you can imagine. I would guess I have close to a 1000 rounds through mine in this short time.

This revolver can be loaded to equal a FACTORY .45 Colt without strain. There is no doubt that the .45 Colt version, if you can find one, could be loaded a bit hotter than the .45 aCP version, but even then this is NOT a magnum platform.

It's strength is .45 ACP is a much better platform for target loads and hard ball equivalent loads (much better loading density for target loads). Since I mostly shoot "target" loads it is much better for me. If I need it for defense purposes, it will do all that is needed for anything except the big bears (that is a whole 'nother subject).

Good luck in your quest.

Here's an article on your interest:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_9_48/ai_89808627/pg_2

Dale53

P.S. Here is one of my threads on the 625-8 (there are a couple of others):

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19369

rdm

lastmanout
09-29-2007, 11:37 PM
I have two Smith 625 in 45acp 5" barrel-one is unfired NIB could part with it for a resonable sum. They are fine shooters and quick to reload using full moon clips.

Four Fingers of Death
09-30-2007, 12:04 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Handguns/RugerSingleActions.jpg

The blued revolvers are 45Colt/ACP convertibles, you can see the ACP cylinders next to the gun. I always 'park' them with the 45Colt cylinder in place.

Strangely enough, the 45ACP out of these guns only displays real good acuracy when they are scooting along fast, just like the autos, which sorta defeats any advantage I suppose.

I really like these guns though. They are sequentially numbered as well.

I have came real close to buying a 357/9mm convertible, but the bullet size difference may be a problem. I imagine the 9mms with a pop gun load would be a good starter for a youth or lady.

454PB
09-30-2007, 12:11 AM
I've owned a Ruger Blackhawk .45 LC/.45 ACP convertible for about 30 years. Not really a self defense gun, but fits the description of what you're looking for.

EDK
10-03-2007, 03:13 PM
The 45 ACP Smith & Wessons are the best kept gun secret--bar none. Try to find a used one....In 30+ years, I've seen 2. I had a model 25 cut to 4 inches and gave it to my younger brother AFTER I bought 3 and 5 inch model 625s in the "gun of the week period" of the 80s/90s from S&W. There's been a few guns come and go since then, but the 625s are still in the safe.

Talk to someone who has one and will let you try it out. Then while YOUR'S is on order, look up Ranch Products, Malinta, OH (sp?) on the web and get the full moon clips--$25+shipping for 100 in blue steel when I got mine.

:castmine:

Dale53
10-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Using the 25 and 625 Smith's day to day, the "RIMZ" plastic full moon clips are the way to go. It is a real pleasure to use them (really easy to load and unload with your bare fingers). The steel full moon clips are the thing for "serious" use but with those you need tools to unload them.

Dale53

kellyj00
10-03-2007, 05:47 PM
+1 on the moonclips in a S&W 625. It's a good revolver, and fun to shoot.
I don't have one myself, but I shot a friends recently. We loaded up his bag full of moonclips with my 45acp reloads and had a ball.

when you've fire your 6, just open the cylinder and drop it on the ground...lots easier to pick up than brass from a 1911, and each full moonclip loads like a speedloader!

Ken O
10-04-2007, 11:12 PM
The blued revolvers are 45Colt/ACP convertibles, you can see the ACP cylinders next to the gun. I always 'park' them with the 45Colt cylinder in place.

Strangely enough, the 45ACP out of these guns only displays real good acuracy when they are scooting along fast, just like the autos, which sorta defeats any advantage I suppose.

I really like these guns though. They are sequentially numbered as well.

I have came real close to buying a 357/9mm convertible, but the bullet size difference may be a problem. I imagine the 9mms with a pop gun load would be a good starter for a youth or lady.

Nice looking set Mick. How did you get them sequentially numbered? I would think the blued and SS would be different runs. I was unaware of the convertables in the .45, live and learn..
I have a S&W 625 and it is my favorite.

Cayoot
10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I purchased the PC-625 (before the JM version was out). Just love it! In the winter (when heavy clothing is worn by all up here) it is my CC gun. The rest of the year it is an IDPA gun. :-D

Ricochet
10-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I recall Ruger making the Security Six in 9mm. Haven't looked at their offerings lately.

Four Fingers of Death
10-06-2007, 02:33 AM
"How did you get them sequentially numbered? I would think the blued and SS would be different runs."
I'm sorry the two convertibles are sequentially numbered, not the whole lot.