PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn cylinder pin on my SA revolver

Garpo
06-24-2013, 03:28 PM
I just picked up a used Uberti Hombre from a local Pawn shop. Although the gun appears to be clean, I still wanted to take the cylinder out to do a further inspection. Usually the removal of the cylinder is simple and straight forward; however, I cannot fully extract this pin. After depressing the plunger, the pin will only move out about 3/8” but no further. The cylinder rotates nicely with no indication of binding so I don’t think the pin is bent. I applied some liquid wrench but that hasn’t solved the problem. I was considering driving the pin out from the rear only the hammer is in the way.

With this exception, the revolver looks to be in excellent condition and appears to have been well maintained.
Should I attempt to remove the hammer and drive the pin from the rear or will I cause additional problems to the piece?

Help will be appreciated.

06-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Perhaps it gets jammed against the ejector rod housing? Remove the ejector housing and ejector rod, and and see if that frees the pin.

bob208
06-24-2013, 06:47 PM
remove the plumger from the frame. it could be screwd together too far. i had a old model ruger that had that problem. also check for burrs on the plunger and the cylander pin.

littlejack
06-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Garpo:
Welcome to the CastBoolits.
I bought a new Uberti "Evil Roy" SAA. I had trouble right from the start with the cylinder pin. I had to make a tool to tap it out with. This was a pita. I ask on the forum, and was told to buy a new pin from Belt Mountain Enterprises. This was the best money I ever spent, so i'm tellin you/
Get hold of Belt Mountain Enterprises in Montana, and order yourself a new pin. You will not be sorry.
Regards
Jack

Lloyd Smale
06-25-2013, 06:09 AM
sometimes if the pin gets turned a bit its harder to extract. Im not sure on a uberti but some have the heads dished out to the contour of the barrel and if turned the head will rub against the barrel. Brownell does sell a tool for taking out stubborn base pins. I had a linebaugh 475 that was so tightly fitted that after about 50 shots the crud would about freeze the pin right in. I chewed up the first pin so badly i had John make and fit another. Before that though i bought the brownel tool and i did pop them right out.

Sasquatch-1
06-25-2013, 06:57 AM
I have never owned an Uberti, but check and make sure there is not a set screw in the end on the base pin. I have 2 Blackhawks that have the locking base pins from Belt Mountain and this may be the case with yours.

Garpo
06-25-2013, 11:15 AM
After soaking the pin overnight in Liquid Wench and tapping it out with a small punch from the hammer side, I discovered that the base pin had a slight burr on it. With a little sanding and buffing, the pin slides in and out like butter. :D

Silver Jack Hammer
06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Glad you found the burr, base pins get battered under recoil and when they become difficult to remove a couple strikes with a hand file usually takes care of it. I don't know if your burr was from recoil or something the factory missed. To remove a stuck base pin I usually use an L shaped Allen wrench of the right size. If the appropriate size an Allen wrench is strong enough to not bend, and if it does bend it's cheap to replace. Hand strength is usually enough to push it out from the hammer side. A couple strikes with a file is necessary before returning it in the frame.

It sounds like your base pin is not undersized which is good. I'd rather have a base pin tough to remove than one that is loose and backs out under recoil.

Glad to see another single action shooter here on Cast Boolits.