PDA

View Full Version : Went deer hunting today

RKJ
06-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Well not intentionally. I was on my way home on my bike (03 HD Road King) and a doe ran right out in front of me. I had time to think "Oh No" and then saw bright light and afterwards I was on my right side on the asphalt with my right foot caught under my bike and hurting like I've never hurt before. I was right over the crest of a hill on a local 2 lane and pitch black (4.20 am) outside. Of course being a B.A. Harley rider I was in black, so I looked just like a big blob. I had to use my left leg to push the bike up enough to get out from under it (I'd remembered a story about a guy who got thrown off his bike and then got ran over by a car and I was not going to let that happen to me, Heck No. I got my phone out and called 911, (the dispatcher was great BTW) but I freaked them out as I kept saying I had to get to the top of the hill so that no-one ran over my bike (I wanted to save it and anyone else coming by). To make a long story short(er), I've got road rash on my right calf and right hand (knuckles) and L/S elbow, broken ribs (R/S, they didn't tell me how many) a bruised right shoulder and hip. The deer ran away, but I have no doubt it's dead, I'm just thankful I'm not (or worse off than I am). I haven't seen my bike yet but I know the headlight is broken, the front fender is trashed and the R/S saddle bag is torn up pretty good. Also the R/S crash bar (I'm sure) is trashed. I've been wanting some chrome lowers for the forks so..... Right now I'm pretty good (thanks to the wonders of modern medicine) but when it wears off (as I've already seen) I hurt like the dickens. Also, luckily I was wearing a leather coat and gloves (which are toast now) but didn't have my chaps on as it was a nice night out, I'm paying the price for that. I wear a beanie (I know, believe me. I had time to think of that on the way down) but I didn't hit my head (Thank You, Jesus) so I've got to revisit that. Anyway, Thanks for letting me tell my tale, and if you ride be careful out there.
One other thing, this deer season I'm going to get every license I can and I'm going to shoot every one of therm I can.

John Allen
06-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Yikes, I bet you will be sore all over for a couple of days. Glad you are ok.

SeabeeMan
06-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Glad to hear you were able to walk away from it. It's been hot/humid as the blazes here and I've not work the chaps a few times...you're making me reconsider that in the future.

gbrown
06-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Car crashes, plane crashes, bike crashes etc. Any you can walk away from is good news. Thank the good Lord for the blessing you received, I'm sure you've done it already several times. You'll heal, just watch out for infection. Glad to hear you are still here to tell us about it.

waksupi
06-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Glad to hear you survived it. A guy was killed here last week, same thing, and two more last year.

ph4570
06-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Good to hear your injuries are relatively minor.

I have a 2003 RK as well. Have not laid it down but close a few times.

AricTheRed
06-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Good to hear you are OK.

By the way we need to start a "National Dialogue" about preventing deer violence. We need to do something about those murderous herbivores! They are responsible for 200 deaths and $1.1 billion in damage annually!

What ever it takes to save even one life is worth it!

RKJ
06-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone. The ride was going real well up until that point. It happened so fast that I didn't have time to do anything but hang on. I've always heard there are 2 kinds of riders, those that have went down and those that will. I hope this was my only time. I recall thinking before hand there were a lot of cars and they should have cleared any deer out of the road. Wrong! I walked away from it so it's a good crash. I'm anxious to see my bike though, Wednesday I think. Hopefully, I'll be able to move. :)

Firebricker
06-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Glad you were able to walk away without worse injury. I took out a Doberman once and that was bad enough. At least your venison is going to taste even better this year lol. FB

Sweetpea
06-24-2013, 08:09 PM
You got off better than most that hit deer on a two Wheeler.

Time to buy a lottery ticket!

Brandon

DougGuy
06-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow glad you aren't any worse off than what you describe. That's bad enough but if you were on a smaller bike, less mass and no saddle bag or crash bar, it likely would have been worse. I got some good sausage recipes when you get ready for the season this year!

mroliver77
06-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Glad your OK.
I was being "pushed" by a semi on a 4 lane a few years back. Out of nowhere the was a doe in the road. I swerved and missed it but never seen the second one until I thwopped it! I was instantly on the pavement watching my bike throw sparks as it slid down the highway. I remember thinking "This is gonna hurt" then I flip flopped and I thought it was all over. I heard tired screeching.Then the bright flash as I hit my head.

It was quiet when I woke and people were telling me to not move. I said" I hate it when I am told to not move. Something is bad when they tell you this." After a bit I felt everything in place and I got up. Not a scratch! Burned through my jacket, shirt, pants etc but not a scratch! Deer was burger. Bike was hurt bad.
Nobody in ,my family has ever been put down by a knock on the head!
God has other plans for us!
Jay

Bad Water Bill
06-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Many years ago I watched a biker get T boned. The second sound I heard was his helmet crashing to the pavement. Can you say a sickening KRUNCH.

After that I have never understood how someone can spend all of that money for a bike and then ride it in T shirt,shorts and shower shoes. Money does not seem to enter into it.

My neighbor and his equals at work would meet in Jims driveway with their Harley bikes and trikes for an all day ride and all were dressed the same,male and female. T shirts shorts slippers no helmets or even goggles.

Money for proper clothing and protection would not be a problem for very high priced lawyers or V Ps of an international railroad I am sure.

KCSO
06-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Since I ride home at night through deer country I feel your pain. So far this year a couple close calls but no dead deer or crumpled bike. I usually hold it to 45 or so at night here as in addition to deer we get to dodge coyote, possum, coon cows, sheep and snapping turtles. Get well soon and hope the damage to the bike isn't too bad.

TenTea
06-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Killed a doe on my Kawasaki of an early morning last October.
Stayed on the bike!
She screamed as my knee hit her in the head at 55mph.
Life is a matter of inches sometimes...another foot onto the road and she'd of been in the forks and taken me out.
Ride free - Heal fast
Shiny side up.

Firebricker
06-25-2013, 01:08 PM
RKJ, Lot of bike fans here so as soon as you feel up to it we are going to need a pic of your bike ! And once again glad you weren't hurt worse. FB

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-25-2013, 01:17 PM
we had one just outside of town last year , fellas leg was under his bike but was otherwise fine after a guy cut him off and he laid it down . there was even a lady who stopped and was standing there calling for help her lights were facing up the hill , but another driver coming down the hill who should have had plenty of time to see something was going on up ahead plowed right into the car and the bike killing the biker , the lady who was on the phone for help waved her arms trying to get the driver to see , but then could only step out of the way and watch it happen.

if i showed you this section of road , wide 2 lane gentle rolling hills easy corners nothing sharp , wide shoulders , you would never believe 7 have died on this stretch of road in the last 2 years almost all head on coalitions

i think because it is the wides easiest road to drive in the county people fall asleep , or zone out driving it.

Wooly
06-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Good to hear you are relatively ok after that ordeal. I went down twice, in 82 & in 01. Walked away in 82,not so much in 01. Broke a wrist,jaw,lost most of my dental equipment, just generally got the S@#$ knocked out of me. When they claim the Taurus is the safest car in the U.S.,they mean for the people INSIDE the Taurus. But, I did total the Taurus along with the bike.
Was your bike an anniversary model ? I`m riding an 11 King these days. DK.

popper
06-25-2013, 11:42 PM
I hated those idiots who run sprinklers in the winter. Came close to getting road rash once but managed to stay upright. Worst was dumping it in a mud hole, trapped the leg under the header and couldn't move anything due to the suction. I quit when a pickup tried to run me off the road.

RKJ
06-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks everybody. I went to my doctor today and while waiting I started getting sick feeling. They about freaked out, turns out the medicine and not eating very much was the culprit. They upped my meds and want me to come back Friday for a tetanus shot. He was telling me how lucky I am, believe me I know it, just don't feel all that great right now but it's getting better) His explanation made very good sense, he told me "you are so sore because you hit a deer and got thrown onto the pavement and were dragged 65 yards under an 800 lb motorcycle at 55 mph. When someone puts it to you that way it opens your eyes. :) It's a 100th anniversary model that I bought new. The insurance appraiser is going out to look at it tomorrow, I still haven't seen it but I'm going to ask State Farm to send me pics, if they will. I'll post them as soon as I get some.

Beau Cassidy
06-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Glad you OK. All too often deer versus motorcycle is lose-lose for both parties. I took care of a guy one time who hit a deer at about 3 in the am. His wife on the back was thrown off and killed. He was critically injured.

In another case a guy I used to work with hit a deer a few years ago. He was one of the guys who worked on the chopper going to get trauma patients and still missed about 6 months of work after the wreck. He was in ICU on the ventilator for a month. The 8 point he hit is mounted in his living room. Those nice padded suites are nice but all they really do is just hold the parts together. The real bad damage comes from rapid deceleration after the crash resulting in torn aortas, broken necks, etc.

TXGunNut
06-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Get the bike fixed/replaced before the medical bills start coming in. [smilie=2:

Nickle
06-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Good to hear you're healing.

I've been down several times myself, I know it sucks, but, it it what it is.

Funny thing is, I'm yet to put a scratch on a helmet. Had road rash several times, but didn't hurt the helmet. I ride a Buell S3T Thunderbolt, and a full face AGV helmet.

RKJ
06-28-2013, 04:30 PM
It was funny (well ironic) I weer a beanie and people are always telling me to get a new helmet, I've got a full face, a 1/2 and 2 or 3 3/4's and I always go back to the beanie. It never hit the ground (For which I'm very fortunate and glad) I got very little road rash (right hand knuckles and lower calf (about 6-8"). As I had posted earlier I had stopped for gas and thought about putting my chaps on but decided against it, that would have saved my leg. All in all I'm very fortunate, lucky or blessed (maybe all three!) The Doc has me on Vicodin and Valium (it's being used now as a Muscle relaxer, and it works) plus some meds for inflammation and a patch to numb the really bad areas (ribs). I look like a poster child for the loser of a MMA fight but I'm moving and still able to talk about it. Also I had posted that I had slid 65 yards, it was 65 feet (still a long way but I don't remember any of that).
The Medical is being handled by Tricare (retired Military) so hopefully there wont be any medical problems, I was wearing all the proper gear. The bike is at the HD shop now getting looked at. I was told that it rolled in but the handlebar stop made it pretty difficult. We're going to try and go look at it tomorrow. I'll post pics when I can. Again everyone, thanks for the kind words. And you all be safe out there, this happened in the blink of an eye. I saw the deer and then Kaboom.

Smoke4320
06-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Been riding for over 40 years , one head on, rode down the side of another lane changer, rode down a 15ft drop to a sudden stop and had a deer run beside of me for over 40 yds while I kept slowing down so did he.. Never hit one though..

Bike can be fixed or replaced you can not
Glad you are ok.
PS thanks for your service and hope they treat you well

RKJ
06-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Been riding for over 40 years , one head on, rode down the side of another lane changer, rode down a 15ft drop to a sudden stop and had a deer run beside of me for over 40 yds while I kept slowing down so did he.. Never hit one though..

Bike can be fixed or replaced you can not
Glad you are ok.
PS thanks for your service and hope they treat you well

Smoke, So far they have, I don't have any complaints against Tricare (maybe I'm one of the lucky ones). State Farm has been real good to me also, but between my son and I this makes (I believe) our 5th deer. He and I both travel about 50 miles round trip through the boonies of Missouri and this year the deer are thick. I plan on thinning some out come the season though. :) Holey smokes. I've had some close calls and a couple of run ins but this was the 1st on my bike (I don't want another one, this one hurts too much). :) You definitely have a guardian angel on your shoulder. :) My local HD shop is looking at the bike now so hopefully. I'll take it home either way.

RKJ
06-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Well, I spoke with my local HD dealer and as it stands right now is $8000.00 not counting labor. I'm afraid State Farm is going to balk at that. I went online and excellent retail is like $10.500. My bike is nice but not excellent. The tank alone is $230.00 because it's a 1 year option (100th anniversary). If they do total it, I'll buy it and a friend has already said he'd rebuild it for me. He is a certified HD mechanic and I've seen his work so I trust him very much. Apparently, it needs an entire front end, wheel, tire, lights forks, etc. The front fender snapped off the tabs of the forks so HD must replace. I'm going to go tomorrow to see it, and discuss my options. I'll also get some pics. We'll see what happens, but right now I'm pretty bummed.

Firebricker
06-29-2013, 12:06 AM
If they total it you might be better off just getting another you can test ride and make sure no vibrations or any other red flags. On the other hand I understand the attachment to a particular bike they just become like old friends. Bright side is either way sounds like you'll be back on the road with plenty of good riding weather left. FB

smokeywolf
06-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Been there and done that. Surgery to put my left wrist back together. I was 19 when that happened. At age 50 had to go see the orthopedic surgeon. He said my wrist looked completely normal; for a 70 year old. All those bones and joints that you break, end up full of arthritis.

Get off the Vicodin as soon as you can. It only takes about 10 days to 2 weeks to get addicted. Also, Vicodin anesthetizes your intestines. Drink prune juice while you're on the opiates.

You were real lucky that there wasn't a car traveling a couple of hundred yards behind you. They wouldn't have seen you until it was too late.
Real glad you're OK.

smokeywolf

RKJ
07-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Well, I got the news yesterday. The State Farm folks have been great. Apparently there were a lot of storms in the S/W area of the state and area so they were a little behind (I understand, if someone loses all their belongings in storm they need a lot more than I did getting my bike fixed) (or not). Anyway, it is totaled. That was depressing to hear, I kind of knew it was, but to be actually told the news was pretty hard. I have had that bike since Feb 03 and it was like part of the family. I can buy it back and I don't expect to be ready to ride until next spring so that gives me to fix it. Tank, front fork assy, headlights and spots, nacelle and various parts.

RKJ
07-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Smokeywolf You were real lucky that there wasn't a car traveling a couple of hundred yards behind you. They wouldn't have seen you until it was too late.
Real glad you're OK. You're absolutely right, I had seen a lot of traffic going the other way (going to work as I was going home) but usually there isn't a lot of traffic on that road at that time of day(just a lot of deer) :) What happened really stinks, but it could have been much worse. I got the bike back today and it was totaled. It needs a front fender and light assy, Headlight (just the light, thankfully) the L/S Spot light (sheared off the bolt), fork lowers, (also sheared off the fender mounting bolts), engine bar and new front tire. I believe that's all. I'm feeling better but ribs (front and back) still hurt like heck, but that beats the alternative. :) I'm not like taking that medicine either one but it does help and I'm trying to wean myself off it as soon as possible. I tried for a couple of days this week and let's just say I was not the nicest person to be around. Anyway, I think this is the last I'll say of it. All seems to be ok at the momlent. I do weant to say thanks to everyone who kept me in their thoughts.