PDA

View Full Version : Need bullet mold for 35 Rem w/microgroove barrel

brown bass hunter
06-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Anyone who could give some advice for a good mold for casting 200 +/- grain bullets for a Marlin 35 Rem with microgroove barrel. I know this setup is not well suited for the cast bullet, but know you guys will have some good info. I prefer to use gaschecks and will be both target shooting and maybe whitetail or hogs will be on the menu.

I have shot some 175 gr cast pistol bullets with limited success. Thanks for the help.

ku4hx
06-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Lyman offers this: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/select-mould-rifle.php?styleRef=cat11#anc

Lyman is the only one I know of specifically, but you can bet if Lyman has one others do too. There's always the custom mold route.

jsteed
06-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Have you considered the RCBS 200 gr FN ? Seems to be the go-to mold for .35 rem micro grove. I've cast many and have started shooting them. No complaints so far.

Janoosh
06-24-2013, 03:55 PM
I have been using the Lyman mold 358315, with COWW, to some success. I started with the MBC 358/180, and discovered the Marlin liked that boolit. Target only so far.

1Shirt
06-24-2013, 08:15 PM
I would go with the 190 RD. Super blt!
1Shirt!

MtGun44
06-24-2013, 08:20 PM
My 336 is conventional groove rifling, but from reading Glen Fryxells work, he says
that sizing to your barrel is critical and apparently most MG bbls take .002 or more
larger than conventional grooves.

Look up his articles on the LA range site, well worth the time.

Bill

MtGun44
06-24-2013, 08:23 PM
My 336 is conventional groove rifling, but from reading Glen Fryxells work, he says
that sizing to your barrel is critical and apparently most MG bbls take .002 or more
larger than conventional grooves and require GCs, so you will be good for that.
The RCBS mold (200 gr) is highly recommended but am still experimenting with a RD
TL design, of which I am slightly skeptical of, not being a fan of TL, but these are dip
lubed, eliminating one of my big dislikes - lube on the front of the boolit. RD closed
down his shop, but some might be available used. THese are 190s but may not
be large enough for your application.

Look up his articles on the LA range site, well worth the time.

Bill

mroliver77
06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Dont believe that MG are not suited to shootin cast. Some gun writers that evidently did not understand started that **** long ago.
I have a 30-39 and a 35 Rem with MG that shoot cast great. Also a couple .22 with MG and they shoot crazy accurate!
Most will tell you that MG needs HARD boolits. I shoot from pure to heat treated WW with success. I size my 30-30 .310 and 35Rem .360 Both shoot anything I have tried in them. I do admit that they are not as easy to find a great load as a Winchester but I believe it is the funky "throat" and not the MG that is the reason.

I have never had leading in either gun. The only limitation I have found is the SWC designs do not feed as slick as a RN design.

ranch Dog designs his molds for Marlin chambers. I have one mold in .380 that I followed his dip lube method with great results.

So shoot the heck out of that Marlin with cast. Make up your own mind about MG.
Jay

Lefty SRH
06-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I've good luck from my 1978 model 336 in 35 Remmy and its a MG barrel. It likes the RCBS and NOE 35-200-FN and the 35 THOR. Now its a real heavy weight for 35 Remmy but it shot (test boolits) really well in my rifle, 2 MOA at 100yds with iron peep sights.
Check it out.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?198778-B-C-360-230-Thor

Lloyd Smale
06-25-2013, 05:58 AM
mine shoots the 200 rcbs rfgc and the lbt 230 rfgc real well.

avogunner
06-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Just last weekend I shot an informal range session comparing three boolits for my mid-60's 336. I used the 358315, the RCBS 200, and the RD 190, each with three different powders to approx 1700fps. All were plenty accurate enough for deer/hog but the RD 190 easily beat the other two. It wasn't a problem getting under 1 inch at 50 yards (usually, a raggad hole). The RCBS was second and very consistent with the three powders I used. I got the best results with the Lyman boolit using Win 748 (4 in a raggad hole but one flyer, which was more than likely me, to make a 1.4" group) and since that's the mold I have, I'm going to do some more experimenting.
Also, I concur with other's comments that it's BS that Micro-groove bbls aren't suitable for cast. Mine shoots exceptionally well (I size to .359) and have never experienced any leading.
Semper Fi.

Daffy
06-25-2013, 07:19 AM
RCBS 200 shoots well, never wandered off to others.

jlchucker
06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Lyman offers this: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/select-mould-rifle.php?styleRef=cat11#anc

Lyman is the only one I know of specifically, but you can bet if Lyman has one others do too. There's always the custom mold route.

When I first got into casting, this Lyman mold was the one I bought to use in 35 Rem. That was back in the early 1970s. It worked out well enough, but later, when I discovered the RCBS 200 gr FN I sold the Lyman. Back then I didn't have a computer and never heard of the Cast Boolits website. Now, after being a member here and reading about various RCBS molds, I find that I had blundered into a great mold when I switched. For my 35, and those of family members, it casts all the boolit we need for deer and bear hunting. I've heard that Remington dropped their superb 200 grain Coreloct as a component. If so, I could care less. I've got my RCBS mold, Blammer sells gaschecks, and I've got a stash of lead. I won't miss Remington at all.

brown bass hunter
06-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Wow....I can't believe all the info I got. I have looked at the RCBS 200. I will do a little research on all the above mentioned molds and see what happens. I will update when I get rolling....too many guns, even more bullet choices, but so little time. Thanks again !

dualsport
06-25-2013, 04:03 PM
The best part is just having a Marlin .35 Remington! What a great cartridge/gun combination. I love mine.