PDA

View Full Version : Kinda load question but more about primer problem.

Atlast357
06-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Just starting loading, the beginning is .45 acp.
First mishap was the handling of the case in press at time of
seating the boolit. After flare and powder charge , setting the
boolit I change from my right hand to left to operate the ram handle
in doing so the base of the cartridge got moved and the boolit went in crooked.:x
Now stuck with problem, well more a safety concern. I removed the projectile and powder
with a kinetic hammer, now what to do about the primer. I'm sure the case is not reusable, it now has an impression , probably keep it on the shelf as a reminder.
So what do I do with the primer ? Kill it > if so how ? or just leave it in the case ?:roll:

Carolina Cast Bullets
06-24-2013, 11:38 AM
If the case will fit into your sizing die, you can gently push the
primer out with the decapping pin. It normally wont go off if it is just pushed gently, it takes a more or less firm blow to
make it go "bang"

The other thing you can do is spray inside the case with WD40. That will "kill" the chemical and render the primer intert.

Do NOT take a small pin punch and try to drive it out. I found that out the hard way.

In any case, keep the open end of the brass in a safe direction. A primer going off is loud but unless the anvil is allowed to
fly, not dangerous.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

gray wolf
06-24-2013, 12:09 PM
What he said

Atlast357
06-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Did the sizing die step w/o the pin to see if case would reform, but no. I thought of pushing it out, that's why I asked.
Thanks
If the case will fit into your sizing die, you can gently push the
primer out with the decapping pin. It normally wont go off if it is just pushed gently, it takes a more or less firm blow to
make it go "bang"

The other thing you can do is spray inside the case with WD40. That will "kill" the chemical and render the primer intert.

Do NOT take a small pin punch and try to drive it out. I found that out the hard way.

In any case, keep the open end of the brass in a safe direction. A primer going off is loud but unless the anvil is allowed to
fly, not dangerous.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets