PDA

View Full Version : remlin.

starmac
06-24-2013, 03:02 AM
I will now see first hand how these remlins are. I have been wanting a 45/70 for some time now, and a sweet deal popped up on craigslist this evening. It came with 3 boxes of ammo marked at 50.79 a box (OUCH), so what mold do you guys recommend for an all around moose and bear stopper.

I haven't shot it yet, but fit and finish and the wood is pretty nice. It is a stainless guide gun, and came with a sling, soft case and 3 boxes of federal 300 grain shells for 5 bills. The gun is in like new condition as it is just a few months old, but he said he did get a bear with it.

jh45gun
06-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Ya got a good deal considering the price of the ammo and it being stainless. I paid 550 for my new blued guide gun and it was before Remington bought out Marlin. I am sold on the Lee Hollow Base 405 grain bullet that is supposed to come out of the mold at .459. I size it to .459 as that is the sizer I bought and I think the hollow base helps seal the bore when shot. Nice since I do not have to use gas checks. I load mine in the middle of the load specs for the Marlin/Winchester loads and I am positive it would kill a bear just fine or a moose. Once you get 405 grains of lead traveling along around 1600 fps it has great penetration.

Keyston44
06-24-2013, 03:35 PM
That is a good deal. For an inexpensive mold I have a Lee 457-405-F that drops the bullets at 459. I shoot them as cast.

Key

bearcove
06-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Anything 400grs or heavier with a large Meplat will kill anything on earth. I have a 425 gr NOE Ranch Dog copy but with real lube grooves. It is what I load for a bear stopper. It will go all the way through just about anything lengthwise.

max range
07-01-2013, 11:57 AM
You found a really good deal. The heavy pills will drop a bear in its tracks.

GabbyM
07-01-2013, 08:54 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51661&d=1284655910

Something along those lines.
That's a 410 to 420 grain LFN. From a group by mold in Lee blocks. I bought it here second hand.
I think Accurate Molds has this design. It's made for the Marlin lever gun.

TXGunNut
07-02-2013, 01:23 PM
I've been wanting to try a Remlin in 30-30, just haven't been able to pull the trigger. The 45-70's look better to me but I already have one, an older ported Guide Gun. It likes the 405 gr Lyman 457193 but it really likes the RD 350 for TX deer and hogs. I have a feeling RD's 425 grainer will be just the ticket for big tough critters.
Keep us posted, hoping to hear some good news about Remlins.

starmac
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
350 grainers will actually stop Texas deer. Who woulda thunk it lol I still haven't got around to shooting it. There are several good suggestions here, I know (think) I will want 400 grain or better.
The wood fit is fairly good for a marlin made in the last decade, but doesn't compare with my win pre 64 30/30, and I don't think I like the safety, but will get used to it.

colt1960
07-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Ive got a marlin (remlin) 1895 GBL 45-70 and love it. Ive seen bad ones but there also are some goods ones out there if you look. Good luck Rick!

dragon813gt
07-04-2013, 06:00 PM
The reports of bad guns has dropped off drastically. They completely shut production down of certain models for quite awhile. The ones that have come out since they started making them again seem to be very good firearms. I have one such example of an 1894C that I got right after they started showing back up. It's worked flawlessly for well over a year now. Now if you go to the Marlin Owners forum they are still mourning the loss of the CT plant and condemning the new owners ;)

Ramjet-SS
07-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I have one made by Remington it is accurate reliable and a nice gun.

Now I would hunt with a 350 grain Hard cast WFN drive it hard it will stop anything you hit.

MtGun44
07-06-2013, 10:31 PM
One shot each on a blue wildebeest and zebra for mine. Plenty of power.

Bill

BRobertson
07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
The last couple of years before Marlin was sold, I bought several levers,

1) 30-30 stainless SDS 16" Davidson's 1 of 500, so far seems perfect

2) 45-70 stainless 18" , so far seems perfect

3) .44 1894 stainless, barrel was 5 degrees mis-aligned, I had it fixed locally because of poor experience with Marlin repair service!!

4) .357 1894 blue, barrel was 5 degrees mis-aligned, very, very poor stock fit, sent it back to Marlin, they did not listen to anything that I said about what I wanted done to the gun !!! Repaired locally

5) .44 1894 Cowboy, seems perfect

6) .357 1894 stainless, seems ok now , but is very picky on ammo, needs a lot of tuning, removed a lot of machining burrs, helped a lot

7) .444 XLR, seems ok so far, although very recently found it at a local dealer, new in box. I had it shortened to 19", and cerakoted.

I don't believe the pre Remington guns are ANY better on the quality control issue!!!

Bob

Maximumbob54
07-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Brand new 336Y that I just bought a month ago.

What a disaster. The action is so rough that I'm surprised my knuckles aren't bruised tonight. Numerous failures to both feed and eject. Factory ammo and my own hand loads shot well enough when I could hold the rifle steady enough during what felt like a fifteen pound trigger pull.

I really hoped all the complaints might be behind. I knew from opening the box that the action was rough. I thought with some oil in the action and working the action over and over it would smooth out some. I thought if I ran a few boxes of ammo through the gun that might help smooth some things out. Now I just need her to massage my hand tomorrow as I'm sure my hand it going to hurt worse tomorrow than today.

What a disaster. Did I say that already? I'll say it again. What a disaster. It's pretty sad when you can't even buy a good out of the box classic anymore.

What a disaster.

pdawg_shooter
07-08-2013, 01:13 PM
From an old post of mine:

After five years of trying I have finally found THE load for my Marlin 1895g. Does everything I want done and is still shootable. I started with new Remington brass, annealed the first ¾ inch using the melted lead method, belled with a Lee expander and primed with CCI 200. The powder charge is 52gr AA 2495. I started with 48 and worked up with no signs of pressure. This is a compressed load, even using a 16 inch drop tube. The magic bullet is cast in a Lyman 451114 mould. The alloy is 17 parts pure lead, 2 ½ parts linotype, and ½ part tin. The bullet drops from the mould .451 and is ready for patching. I make my patches from 16lb green bar computer paper, cut 2.750 long on a 60º angle 1.500 high. I dip in water and wrap twice around the bullet. They are left to dry overnight, then lubed with BAC. The next day the tails are clipped and the bullet is run through a .459 Lee sizing die. I seat them to an OCL of 2.580. These shoot clover leaf groups at 25 yards and into 1.75 at 100. This is with a Lyman 66 rear sight and factory front sight. Not bad for 58 year old eyes. Bullet performance on game is all one could ask for. I’ll not quit experimenting, but how does one improve on perfection? (Those eyes at 62 years old now !!!)

pdawg_shooter
07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
350 grainers will actually stop Texas deer. Who woulda thunk it lol I still haven't got around to shooting it. There are several good suggestions here, I know (think) I will want 400 grain or better.
The wood fit is fairly good for a marlin made in the last decade, but doesn't compare with my win pre 64 30/30, and I don't think I like the safety, but will get used to it.

A small black o-ring slipped over the safety button when in the fire position solves the problem for about a nickle. And it hides that ugly red ring too.